The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Sounds great. Sorry for all the questions I just wanted to make sure I do this right. Lastly, on the subject of wet sanding, do you recommend it? If so how exactly do you do it correctly? I tried doing it on a test piece of aluminum I painted with red duplicolor metal cast and what I did was dip an extremely fine grit piece of sandpaper into soapy water and lightly sanded the paint but it really a ruffed it up. Clearly I went wrong somewhere because everyone else I see wet sanding their shields, the paint never scuffs it just looks like it has a matte finish. How do I correctly wet sand?

How fine of a grit were you using? I wouldn't wet sand with anything less than 1000, but 1500-2000 should really be used

How fine of a grit were you using? I wouldn't wet sand with anything less than 1000, but 1500-2000 should really be used
I guess that answers my question. I was below 1000 grit. It looked and felt fine enough but it guess it wasn't right. I knew something was wrong. I've also seen people use sanding sponges. Do those work well?

Got the shield home today and hung it up FINALLY!

IMG_6605_zps9saenjch.jpg

IMG_6608_zps3ndzsxfo.jpg

IMG_6612_zpsjmrunxom.jpg

Awesome shield and display! I can went sand the color with 2000/2500 grit then wash it and clear coat without having to put another coat of paint on right?

I just have to wet sand my red and blue with 2000/2500 grit sandpaper, adhere the star and satin clear coat it. Here it is as it stands now before sanding:
v1PRQmc.jpg

Ive gone to 4 shields trying to get the right color

First was this but it was not the matched color for the first avenger version the red and blue is a little too dark and the one who laid the color accidentally colored the bare aluminum silver so it would not match my star.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434827081.269830.jpg

My 2nd shield i tried to engrave the outline of the star to be a little screen accurate, but me using a dremel for the first time caused imperfect lines, so to make up for it and made it less noticeable, i just made my shield look like the battle damaged version, painted it cheaply using metalcast spraypaint and fully engraved the star and covered the hole so i dont need to use my aluminum star
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434827709.465709.jpg

My third shield, i was going with the winter soldier color version with a darker red and blue but it ended up looking like my first goal which matches the first avenger color
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434827967.876799.jpg

4th shield is a little closer to the color i wanted but they ended up accidentally having silver over the bare aluminum again so it will not match my star..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434828220.265771.jpg

5th hoping to get it right this time.. This mistakes are costing me too much time and money
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434828324.849139.jpg

Last edited:
How are they "accidentally" painting the silver? That's pretty deliberate. Also, why not have them strip the paint and do it correctly rather than buying a whole new blank?

How are they "accidentally" painting the silver? That's pretty deliberate. Also, why not have them strip the paint and do it correctly rather than buying a whole new blank?

Its with them a long time and by the time they start working on it they forget that all they need to do is the red and blue.. They hate working on it due to the amount of masking involved. They would rather not work on those shields so its like everytime i go to them they might reject it.. No one else locally would do it and ide rather have it professionally done since i dont trust my skills. Im kind of at their mercy. I sell the ones im not satisfied with anyway so i kind of get some of the money back

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

The painting and masking is really not that bad. Even if you didn't want to try stripping the 1st blank; why not paint the star to match the silver at least?

I know but thats where they charge me the most.. The masking.. The star is signed by stan

Tonight I learned to be VERY careful about fingerprints on the silver stripe before clear coating. *sigh*

Ha, I know that lesson as well, though mine is on the back. Despite going over it three times with acetone, fingerprints showed up as white, around two weeks later. Not sure why it took that long, thought I had nailed it, lol.

Can anyone describe how I can give my star a spun effect using a scotch brite pad? I kinda need an answer quick thanks :)

Take a scotch brite pad and put it in the middle of the star and twist it in a circle. Or line a bunch up on a table to make a big square (bigger than the star). Put the star face down and spin it.

Take a scotch brite pad and put it in the middle of the star and twist it in a circle. Or line a bunch up on a table to make a big square (bigger than the star). Put the star face down and spin it.

Is this more effective than using a really really rough sand paper?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back