The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Oh crap.

I already attached the nuts directly to the shield. Do you think it would be better to remove them somehow, or just put the barackets down over the top with the top of the t-nuts poking through the hole in the brackets?
Thanks for that clear picture, it looks like I will need to make the pieces at the end of each bracket that the belt loops through, or is that a standard thing that can be purchased?
I guess I could just bend the ends of the brackets up and run the belt directly through the slots in the short term. Only have 3 days left till 'Nova.

So the vertical belts are for slotting your hand and forearm into for holding the shield, and the diagonal ones are for when the shield is slung on your back?
Sorry for all the questions, I have read *tons* here, but it is a little overwhelming digging through, and it is my first attempt at building *anything*, so I have had a lot of learning to do re tools, materials and techniques etc.

I've attached photos of what I have done so far, it is a little sad compared to the masterpieces on here, but it is mine, and I wouldn't trade it for anything :)

shield - 1.jpgshield - 2.jpgshield - 3.jpg

I'll jump in here. I don't think you need to move the Tnuts. If they line up with your holes in your brackets, leave them where they are. The worst that could happen is they pop off the shield when you are lugging it around. Doesn't matter though if your brackets are attached well.

You're shield looks great!

Oh crap.

I already attached the nuts directly to the shield. Do you think it would be better to remove them somehow, or just put the barackets down over the top with the top of the t-nuts poking through the hole in the brackets?
Thanks for that clear picture, it looks like I will need to make the pieces at the end of each bracket that the belt loops through, or is that a standard thing that can be purchased?
I guess I could just bend the ends of the brackets up and run the belt directly through the slots in the short term. Only have 3 days left till 'Nova.

So the vertical belts are for slotting your hand and forearm into for holding the shield, and the diagonal ones are for when the shield is slung on your back?
Sorry for all the questions, I have read *tons* here, but it is a little overwhelming digging through, and it is my first attempt at building *anything*, so I have had a lot of learning to do re tools, materials and techniques etc.

I've attached photos of what I have done so far, it is a little sad compared to the masterpieces on here, but it is mine, and I wouldn't trade it for anything :)

View attachment 489384View attachment 489385View attachment 489386

Shield looks good!
You are correct about the verticle straps. Thats where your arms will thread through. Unfortunately the diagonal ones are just for appearance. When the movie shield first came out there were lots of speculation that the entire strap system partially detaches away from the bracket so you can wear it backpack style but that is not the case.

I don't recommend bending the slots up to thread the straps through. The D rings can be ordered but if you are short on time you can buy key chain D rings. They do the trick nicely. I've bought 2 packs from lowes.

The only functional straps on the shield are the hand straps. The diagonal straps are just aesthetic. If you want to be able to wear it on your back, you'll have to make extra straps that are long enough that possibly clip on so you can remove them when wearing it on your arm.

I'm having trouble getting the star to take the shape of the shield. Any tips?

Working on on a winter soldier shield

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 158
Anyone ever use TSP? I cleaned my Aluminum Phebert shield with dish soap and water really well, then I cleaned it with Acetone. I taped up the entire shield (minus the inner circle) and decided to use some TSP on the circle before painting it blue and it removed even more residue and made the shield REALLY shine. Thoughts?

I think I am going to use the TSP on the red circles before I paint them too.

TSP: http://www.amazon.com/Savogran-1063..._4?ie=UTF8&qid=1434379969&sr=8-4&keywords=tsp

Last edited:
Looks great, what did you find was the hardest part? I suck at cutting with an exacto knife haha

Cutting the tape was fairly easy because the blade will follow the groove. The hardest part was blue in the center and taping and removing the tape for the star. The blue kept peeling with the tape. Had to redo it once.

I took steel wool to the whole shield after I painted to get the paint that scuffed spun look awesome although you can't see it in the pictures

Last edited:
Cutting the tape was fairly easy because the blade will follow the groove. The hardest part was blue in the center and taping and removing the tape for the star. The blue kept peeling with the tape. Had to redo it once.

I took steel wool to the whole shield after I painted to get the paint that scuffed spun look awesome although you can't see it in the pictures

I decided to not tape up for the star. I am using mounting tape instead of JB weld to hold the star in place.

What's the best way to clean the shield before painting? acetone or laquer thinner? And what are the reasons why? Thanks

I used Acetone. It left a little haze on the metal, but didn't affect the paint in any way. I heard lacquer thinner is better though. I don't think it leaves a haze on the metal. Acetone evaporates almost instantly and gets the metal really clean.

I used Acetone. It left a little haze on the metal, but didn't affect the paint in any way. I heard lacquer thinner is better though. I don't think it leaves a haze on the metal. Acetone evaporates almost instantly and gets the metal really clean.
Thank you very much! I asked because all I had available was laquer thinner but I wasn't sure if acetone was the better remover. Stupid question but how would I apply the laquer thinner? With a rag? I imagine it would have to be something clean because I wouldnt want to scruff up the shield.

Thank you very much! I asked because all I had available was laquer thinner but I wasn't sure if acetone was the better remover. Stupid question but how would I apply the laquer thinner? With a rag? I imagine it would have to be something clean because I wouldnt want to scruff up the shield.

I bought the blue shop paper towels at Home Depot. They leave less lint. I just folded it and put acetone on the paper towel and wiped the shield down.

I bought the blue shop paper towels at Home Depot. They leave less lint. I just folded it and put acetone on the paper towel and wiped the shield down.
Sounds great. Sorry for all the questions I just wanted to make sure I do this right. Lastly, on the subject of wet sanding, do you recommend it? If so how exactly do you do it correctly? I tried doing it on a test piece of aluminum I painted with red duplicolor metal cast and what I did was dip an extremely fine grit piece of sandpaper into soapy water and lightly sanded the paint but it really a ruffed it up. Clearly I went wrong somewhere because everyone else I see wet sanding their shields, the paint never scuffs it just looks like it has a matte finish. How do I correctly wet sand?

Sounds great. Sorry for all the questions I just wanted to make sure I do this right. Lastly, on the subject of wet sanding, do you recommend it? If so how exactly do you do it correctly? I tried doing it on a test piece of aluminum I painted with red duplicolor metal cast and what I did was dip an extremely fine grit piece of sandpaper into soapy water and lightly sanded the paint but it really a ruffed it up. Clearly I went wrong somewhere because everyone else I see wet sanding their shields, the paint never scuffs it just looks like it has a matte finish. How do I correctly wet sand?

I don't know about wet sanding. What I did for mine was take light duty steel wool and ran it across the paint to give it a scuffed look like in the movie (stealth shield).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back