The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Hey Chris, I've been through this thread a couple times, don't know if I have missed it, but what colors are you using in the Testors?

Has anyone tried using a red and blue sharpie to fill in some scuffs or imperfections? Just wanted to see if anyone's tried it out before I give it a go

On my first sled shield I used red and an aqua Sharpie to fill in scratches, and it worked pretty well. On my aluminum shield I sprayed rattle can paint into a cup and lightly brushed it on to fill in those areas

Red sharpie works really well with the testors red paint. The blue and aqua do not though. I haven't found a blue sharpie that works, so what kevin mentioned above works really well.

thanks for the input Kevin and Chris! One more question, in the past, I've found that using spray paint with a brush caused issues cause the paint would dry too quickly. Do you know if this will happen with the testors paint i bought? Are there any more tips or do I just need to work quickly before the paint semi-dries

Thanks!

Hey Chris,

I bought the same Testors Transparent Hot Rod Red you mentioned and will follow the warm water and painting vertical you mentioned. I think you also clear coated it so I bought the testors model makers semi gloss laquer as well

Can you let me know how many coats you applied and how long you waited between each? I'm also assuming you painted from the recommended 10 " away

Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone had to strip an automotive grade clear coat from their shield yet? The strongest stripper I know of is Aircraft Klean Strip and wanted to get some input before I start buying stuff. I think it's time for my shield to get a new paint job.

Thank you guys for sharing your paint tips and paints used. When some of you refer to using the Testors colors, do you mean what would be their "half-sized" spray cans in the "modeling" section of common hobby stores? Thanks much

Any tips on using Testors gloss coat for the finish? I just finished painting my shield with testors (thanks Chris for the tips!) and am waiting the 48 to 72 hours for it to cure

How many coats of gloss coat should I put? I'm assuming I can paint it the same way as the enamel paint (warm the can, spray in circles, shield held vertical, etc)?

Thanks!

Azrok - yep, those are the cans :) Definitely try all the different types of cans recommend here be myself, Valor, and others, to make sure you get the one that you like best. Get some scrap aluminum from somewhere and test them out.

Mtrixman - glosscoat is really easy, I don't even warm those cans, just shake them really well.... apply a thin coat every few minutes... about 4 to 5 times.

I know CousinDave has made a superb blue shield, but I got no reply when I asked him what paint he used. Perhaps he didn't get the PM I sent, or perhaps he'd prefer to retain ownership of his excellent researches.

It's hard to tell what the lighter blue/silver color is on the film shield. Sometimes it looks light blue, other it looks more silver. I think cousin dave's was too light bluish, but it did look good. I haven't done one of those yet myself, but from prior test, some of the lighter colored transparent blues would work, maybe mix them with a little bit of transparent smoke color. The tamiya transparent blue is really light blue, might work well.

Thank you very much, Chris. I'll give it a test on some scrap domes I have. I very much appreciate your steering me in the right direction.

It's hard to tell what the lighter blue/silver color is on the film shield. Sometimes it looks light blue, other it looks more silver. I think cousin dave's was too light bluish, but it did look good. I haven't done one of those yet myself, but from prior test, some of the lighter colored transparent blues would work, maybe mix them with a little bit of transparent smoke color. The tamiya transparent blue is really light blue, might work well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back