The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Sorry, I'm trying to find a definitive answer lol I'm a bit confused. Is there one clear coat that is the definitive best on the duplicolor?

Also, has anyone tried using the Testor's gloss coat on the Duplicolor? Or if you use Duplicolor you have to use the Krylon Satin?

That stuff is awesome! Only thing is you wont see that cool brushed look when the shield is actually spun. at $6 a sq foot though not bad at all!

-Roquefert

I'm going to try making my own anodized lacquer paint. I'm fed up with Metalcast, it's too unpredictable....maybe they made a bad batch?

I now this has been brought up for use with 3PO suits without satisfactory results...but that's a whole suit, would love to see what someone does with this in regards to the shield.

Maybe we won't have to actually paint anything anymore! ... neat stuff! Maybe some here can experiment with this stuff... would awesome to 3D print plastic shield and laminate it with this stuff.

Alsa Corp | Chrome Film

or

Alsa Corp | Strech Chrome Film

Will making your own paint reduce the material cost?

Not sure yet.
I've discovered what the main problems are with the metalcast paint and have been working around them. But I have a theory on how to make my own, in volume and possibly improve application.

I seriously think Dupli-color did a massive defective batch. When I called and explained how poorly it sprays (the blotches and spitting) the sales rep said it should not do that.

You might be on to something Frosty. I had good luck with the Metalcast but some have not. It can't be all user error. Maybe old cans or something. It's a shame because when the cans work it's really beautiful paint.

How many cans per shield. one each?

Depends which paint you go with and how many times you mess up and start over! :lol

The Duplicolor comes in a larger can, so one of each is plenty. The Testors however comes in smaller hobby cans, so you may need two cans of the red.

You might be on to something Frosty. I had good luck with the Metalcast but some have not. It can't be all user error. Maybe old cans or something. It's a shame because when the cans work it's really beautiful paint.

The sales rep asked me for the "batch" number on the can. I've emptied and thrown out so many, that was no help.

Rough.png

Here's my first attempt! The picture's from a couple hours ago, since I have added rivets to the assembly. I'm putting two of the sleds together so I can get something with some heft. Added the plaque on the back, clearcoated, wetsanded, and now all I have left to do is to angle grind the edges and buff the entire assembly. Hopefully when I get the brackets they'll hold the entire thing together just a tiny bit tighter. So, if anyone was wondering, yes, it is quite possible to construct this with actual rivets, and much sturdier. My only regret is that I might have to redo the red paint. Didn't turn out dark enough in one area.

EDIT: Waxed the whole thing, shines like a gem in the sunlight. Thanks for all of your help, everyone!

rough3.png

Last edited:
Hi guys. In first time, i need to say thanks you to all. This thread had help me to paint my cap shield.
Here my experience: I bought the shield in ebay and the star from Valor forum member. I decided paint the shield before to attach the star. I had used Duplicolor Metalcast and before of the final clear coat, i used acrilic barnish for isolate the paint and avoid some reaction betwen the paint and the clearcoat. After wetsanding with 1500 sandpaper. After i used U-Pol clear coat. Again wetsanding with 1500 sandpaper, and finaly for satin finish, i buffed lightly with foam disc and liquid polish. I clercoated the star with U-Pol clearcoat and attached the star with double side tape. I really like the battle damage finish, then, i sprayed with a manual spraybottle some dark brown acrilic paint over the shield and airbrushed some spots. The scratches was make by brush with enamel silver paint.

DSC03837.JPGDSC03839.JPGDSC03850.JPGDSC03855.JPGDSC03869.JPGDSC03872.JPG

I hope that it can someone.

Haven't visited this thread in a while, but it's nice to see shield projects are still going strong. I recently whipped together a quick video of my shield build from last year. Could not have done it without the help of Valor and the rest of the awesome people contributing to the RPF.

Here's the video in case you have a couple minutes to kill. Captain America shield project - YouTube

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Awesome tat dude! probably cost as much as the shield ! ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

One of the best shields I've seen. very nice!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back