The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

I should be able to get into the paint shop soon, so I knew it was time for me to revisit this thread.

I'm using the Metalcast paints, and I plan to use Frosty's method of decanting, thinning and applying via spraygun.

Also Frosty, you mentioned you had a good method for forming the brackets? I've been trying to get them into shape while I wait to paint, and it's proving to be a royal pain. In particular, getting the diametric curve into the vertical portion of the brackets has been all but impossible. I've considered setting it in a vise and taking a rubber mallet to it, but I'm afraid of overdoing it. Thoughts?

A vice is key, but put away the mallet. Here's my process. Stick a folded over thick towel into the vice and close it partially. Then stick the end of a bracket into the padded vice and pull. Use the vice for leverage. Work little by little and stick the bracket in to get the various curves necessary. Once you get going it doesn't take long at all.

It was just a matter of time until I NEEDED a First Avenger heater shield. I had a few blanks made so I tried a few different things. I had the blanks cut from 1/4" thick aluminum .... it's REALLY thick :)

I've painted a couple up with the traditional colors. Even weathered two. .... Tried a military green back on one. Then I wondered "What if Cap decided to keep his new vibranium shield as a heater shield shape?" .... I haven't seen anyone try this so I gave the front of a shield blank a good linear scuffing with sandpaper to get a brushed look, then hit it with red and blue Duplicolor Metalcast. I only did half the shield as a test. ..... I'm really torn of whether I like it. But I thought I'd share.

Attachments

• photoA.JPG
    photoA.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 304
  • photoD.JPG
    photoD.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 249
  • photoC.JPG
    photoC.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 216
  • photoB.JPG
    photoB.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 222
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
A couple more. A look at the bracket system I'm using on the back. And one more pic of the Metalcast paint on the heater shield for the "modern heater shield" I'm contemplating.

Attachments

• stars.JPG
    stars.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 210
  • straps.JPG
    straps.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 359
Are the blank aluminum shields sold via a member of this forum. Or could someone direct me where to purchase one. I have seen the sled shield and I like it but I would like to have the groves cut in the shield and it sounds like the sled is to thin. Thanks for any help that is given.

I checked ebay earlier and the only one that comes up is already painted and finished. I want to try to make one based off of the great tutorials on this forum. Thanks for the reply!

Lilpr141, I'll send you a PM.

On another note, I was in the auto section of my local Fleet Farm (regional store) and saw that Rustoleum now has several Anodized metal paints called "Metal Coat". Including a pretty nice looking red and blue. Definitely worth looking at if you're doing these shields. I know some people really struggle with the spray of the Metalcast paints. If the paint effect is similar and the spray nozzle more reliable, these paints could be a really great alternative. Someone should check them out.

I also can find them online at various auto sites:

http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/metal-coat

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 177
Also, if you have a bit more cash and don't mind going a more expensive route, I'm dying to try these candycoat colors from Alsa. Highly recommend, but I have not tried them myself yet. I hope to test them out soon though on some of my projects. :)

Alsa Corp | Killer Cans Candy

The only concern is that they do come out super glossy, so you have to hit it with a semi gloss to satin finish to get the right looks after.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back