The Horrors Of “Star Trek: TOS” Teeth

I think that pic of Shatner is posed and not a "real" caught-in-the act smoking picture. He's said in one of his auto-biographies that he smoked for a year or two total in his life, was never really into it. Besides the "Rocketman" prop, I don't think he's much for the smokes. Also notable is that he's still very much alive and active.

Another notable- in her autobiography, Nichelle Nichols said that her costars asked her who had done her dental work and that they were surprised and disbelieving when she told them her teeth were all original issue. They obviously knew good when they saw it. The real question is, what was the director of "LTBYLBF" thinking with those closeups?

Dentistry in general has come a long way, smoking or not. I remember as a kid that whenever I would get a stern talking to from my father, I'd be captivated by the triangles of space revealed by gum recession between his lower front teeth. He would only have been a young man in his early 30s at the time.

You know tha puppet had to REALLY be careful hotboxing those ciggys ! :)

I swear every time I watch UFO I feel like lighting one up! :p

I was recently watching the Thunderbirds, the one with the puppets, which I have not seen since the 60's and they actually had some of the puppets smoking cigarettes. Watch any movie or tv show from the 40's through the early 80's and someone is probably going to be smoking.

There are pics of Shat smoking he quit early during the run of Trek

Nichelle smoked More cigarettes I used to kid her about passing it to me, ie, a Joint.

Nichelle is a stunningly jaw dropping beautiful woman, I was constantly trying to work my mojo on her :cool:

She was such a good sport with a great sense of humor!:p

I think that pic of Shatner is posed and not a "real" caught-in-the act smoking picture. He's said in one of his auto-biographies that he smoked for a year or two total in his life, was never really into it. Besides the "Rocketman" prop, I don't think he's much for the smokes. Also notable is that he's still very much alive and active.

Another notable- in her autobiography, Nichelle Nichols said that her costars asked her who had done her dental work and that they were surprised and disbelieving when she told them her teeth were all original issue. They obviously knew good when they saw it. The real question is, what was the director of "LTBYLBF" thinking with those closeups?

Dentistry in general has come a long way, smoking or not. I remember as a kid that whenever I would get a stern talking to from my father, I'd be captivated by the triangles of space revealed by gum recession between his lower front teeth. He would only have been a young man in his early 30s at the time.

There are pics of Shat smoking he quit early during the run of Trek

Nichelle smoked More cigarettes I used to kid her about passing it to me, ie, a Joint.

Nichelle is a stunningly jaw dropping beautiful woman, I was constantly trying to work my mojo on her :cool:

She was such a good sport with a great sense of humor!:p

Here’s the Shat taking a trip to “flavor country” with DeForest on break during production of the series:

23E335B9-FDA7-49FA-A049-041C3DB5C668.jpeg

And Doohan during an on-set party:

AF934B6B-A7AE-4682-8A2B-5F327B17DA44.jpeg

Pretty much the sign of the times in the 60’s...

FC676742-F8B8-4B91-AEFD-94FB1437AE6E.jpeg

BE5266A8-4B15-4784-9D39-6D9242632215.jpeg

....and the 70’s...

40B8412C-0196-4A3A-AB01-5E6BC8F25ADD.jpeg

...and even later. Data performing another attempt to ape human behavior, it appears:

9D992E47-1C59-447F-B00A-31F13A0961D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Great pics ****** I want to light up!:lol:

At one of the Conventions in the 70’s i was at the press were asked not to photograph Jimmy and Nichelle smoking so what do they do?

Jimmy was bitching to me how they were asked by the Con organizers to not smoke in “Public”

Boy if they only knew what went on at the “Room Parties” of that day! :D

I recently watched “Let Thet Be Your Last Battlefield” (with half black / half white Frank Gorshin), for the first time in years, and noticed something I had never noticed before—some of the Original Series actors’ teeth were a chamber of horrors. This was apparent in the extreme zooms used in the “Enterprise self-destruct sequence”.

Nimoy:

View attachment 1410468
View attachment 1410475
Doohan:

View attachment 1410478
And not to be left out, Kelley:

View attachment 1410470

View attachment 1410476
(“What? Me worry??”)
View attachment 1003038

View attachment 1410477
Yikes!

We have come a long way in dental care since the 1960’s, apparently.
So true!! I had exactly the same thought when I watched the remastered episodes on a larger screen for the first time. Shatner must have been a nonsmoker; his teeth were significantly better. In the movies, you can see how these three actors had all gotten dentures. Nimoy's bad teeth are also really conspicuous in Mission: Impossible.

LOL. Gosh, makes me wonder how many other, even "heart throb" type of actors from back in the day had jacked up teeth. I'd also be curious to see how many big names started acting in the 60's-80's with messed up teeth, but have gotten them worked on since then.
Clark Gable had notoriously bad teeth with pyria I think it was from memory ?
I am sure there are accounts of Maryln saying so..
So many actors these days wear Clips a type of quick fix gumshield to straighten whiten their teeth.
Sometimes the role requires a different look.
You'd be Amazed how many Actors have or have used them.
Back before prosthetic dentistry people painted their teeth white!

I don't support bad oral hygiene but I will say there was certainly character to them then. Big, white, straight caps are the norm today but look equally grotesque to me.

Last edited:
I remember those priceline commercials. They were great. Still too bad they couldn't bury the hatchet. FOMO mixed with ego can be a terrible thing. I still enjoy some of the stuff Shatner is in and given his age good for him to still be going.

I remember those priceline commercials. They were great. Still too bad they couldn't bury the hatchet. FOMO mixed with ego can be a terrible thing. I still enjoy some of the stuff Shatner is in and given his age good for him to still be going.

And to consider at age 90, Shatner actually reached the edge of space, for a few minutes.

I was at a medical conference several years ago where the moderator held up his iPhone. Talking about the state of technological advancement, he said; "There is more computing power in my cellphone, than all of NASA had in 1969 when Neal Armstrong walked on the moon"

Something similar said about the Playstation back in 95

imagine if we had those development ps1s back then..
We'd prolly be driving cars like George Jetson...

YlQQYUIEAZ76o.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back