THE GIANT CLAW (1957) Monster sculpt started.

Contec

Master Member
Is there any friendly soul out there that have this movie on dvd, and could take screencaps of the monster for me :) I'm trying to make a model of it in super sculpey and good Ref photo's are not easy to find.
I'm looking for pictures to sculpt the head from. The body is maybe something i will try later on but for now it's the head.
Thanks.:thumbsup

The Giant Claw movie trailer - YouTube

6%20giant%20claw%20PDVD_019.jpg

fd374de13ba2fcc19c8d346e7a4742.jpg

Last edited:
Re: THE GIANT CLAW (1957) Monster Reference photo's

I watched this movie recently on YouTube. You can enlarge the screen and freeze it at any moment you need to check out the details.

First saw this as a kid, and as silly as the monster looked, it still really got to me back then when the creature picked the guys in parachutes out of the sky.

Re: THE GIANT CLAW (1957) Monster Reference photo's

I used my old digital camera to take a couple of crappy pictures of the sculpt as it stands now. The lower jaw is a separate piece that i will attached later on because i have not yet decided what pose his mouth should be. Not show is all the teeths that i made yesterday.
I have only made the front part of the skull yet, the back piece is going to be attached to the spine....at least i think its going to be.
The eye parts is seperate part as well. Had a couple of ballbearings that i used as eyeballs.
p1010007sd.jpg

p1010006vb.jpg

Been hammering on with the Supers Sculpey, I'm not a sculptor but i figured that if I'm afraid to start i will never finish anything. Its easy to learn from my mistakes and make a bird v 1.2.

Now i have added the teeth (on a beaked bird:lol ) and added the tongue. Then started to shape out the back of her head.
dsc02329hz.jpg

I Know i have f##kt up the placement of the eyes but im thinking that i can fix that if i make another bird. The eyes are still removable at this point.
birdmix.jpg

I'm thinking about doing this pose for the bird... The goofy old cutesy sitting a top of the United Nations building.
36f21cc4b93b54ae1013dea.jpg

Thanks Robn1, Your caps shows a couple of details that i have not seen before on it. The will be to great help.

Today I made the back of the head and ears. I tried for the first time using Lighterfluid to blend the new clay with the old clay to get the apparent parting line to disappear. It worked better that i had imagined and i will use it for more stuff.
I also added the line where i am going to attach the hair. Thinking of trying the hair from a paint brush when that time comes.

dsc02336z.jpg

dsc02338ju.jpg

Looks like a stuffed chicken...
dsc02339yr.jpg

"OHHHHH The Claw!"

ToyStory2Wallpaper3800.jpg

but seriously, I remember seeing that movie years ago, thanks for bringing back that memory!

Loving the sculpt and will be watching this thread :thumbsup

I'm glad that somebody is doing a Giant Claw figure. I already made a Giant Claw figure that I used for stop motion animation. I entered part 1 of the film at G-Fest and it won. I would like to post a link to part 1 and some photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE!!!! I love that movie!! Takes my right back to my childhood watching this on Chiller Theater!

-B89!

My sister have been pestering me to finish this bird , so im guessing i am going to need to sit down and start doing that sometime in the near future.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back