The Fifth Element ZORG Industries ZF1 build thread

Oh man, too cool. You want to finish building mine for me? I have most of the parts but lack of skills.

I don’t know if anybody would be interested but I’m also using the drawings I’ve made up over the last 8 months to create an accurate 3D model of the gun, which I’m designing to be almost completely 3D printable (except fittings, conduit, shafts and electronics).

My idea is to sell the parts as kits, which can then be glued, finished, painted, used as a guide to replicate in metal...whatever you want really.

Here’s a (rough) picture of some earlier progress..

UQ61n4H.jpg

I’m replicating the parts as close as possible...

kiUbDMl.jpg

A picture of where it was at about 3 weeks ago..

4m73rlk.jpg

It’s using all the dimensions from my actual gun, just a lot lighter and easier to assemble! I’m going to design in the electronics and movement mechanisms too if I feel there’s enough/any interest.

Cheers!

I don’t know if anybody would be interested but I’m also using the drawings I’ve made up over the last 8 months to create an accurate 3D model of the gun, which I’m designing to be almost completely 3D printable (except fittings, conduit, shafts and electronics).

My idea is to sell the parts as kits, which can then be glued, finished, painted, used as a guide to replicate in metal...whatever you want really.

Here’s a (rough) picture of some earlier progress..

View attachment 1269800

I’m replicating the parts as close as possible...

View attachment 1269801

A picture of where it was at about 3 weeks ago..

View attachment 1269802

It’s using all the dimensions from my actual gun, just a lot lighter and easier to assemble! I’m going to design in the electronics and movement mechanisms too if I feel there’s enough/any interest.

Cheers!
SO INTERESTED!!! Rather buy your files and self print but either way.

Okay well we'll see. I'm designing the 3D printed version to contain all the movement and electronics as the original 'full metal' version so maybe I need to do two variants. Who knows! Stay tuned though.

In regards to my original ZF1, I've decided to completely re-wire and make the electronics a bit more professional. I'm also going to incorporate a IR receiver so I can use a remote to activate the gun, and upgraded the 0.8Ah lead acid battery to a 2.8ah nimh battery because it's going to need the extra sauce to power all the added lighting.

Cheers!

Jake

Incredible and inspiring build!

I've been working on mine for a couple of years. It's mostly 3d printed with a SuperKrates shell. I'm modeling it myself but I'm struggling with some of the parts like the bottom mount/grip. I just cant get it to fit/look right so I'm very interested in buying some parts.

Thanks for your contribution. Even the pictures of your build are a big help (y)

- Matt

Last edited:
Hopefully the penultimate update for you guys and gals..

I’ve spent the last week snagging the ZF1, tying up loose ends..

g3904lU.jpg

..I thought it would be wise to make a cover that protects the Arduino and associated circuitry and, less of a priority, the user. It also hides the nasty looking perf board I’m using.

I rewired the entire prop too...

B4WXZsN.jpg

...it might not look like much but it’s more managed than before. I’ve also wired in an IR receiver for future ideas..

I also decided to upgrade and rewire the power into the gun...

9BD9Vy3.jpg

...I’m now using a 2.6ah Nimh battery instead of a 0.8ah lead acid. I can also run it off the mains now, if for example I wanted to display it for long periods of time.

Cabling is much neater and goes through respective grommets...

l7nipkh.jpg

Red light wired in...

dKAZ4WU.jpg

Lastly I’ve replaced most of the components that form the gearing to the scope lifting arm and motor..

lX3oSrF.jpg

..it doesn’t look like much but they are 4mm wide steel gears. Absolutely no chance of stripping themselves and no play whatsoever. You really don’t wanna get your fingers caught in that!

A quick walk around..
One of the last jobs is to secure the scope lid properly, probably with magnets and pins to allow access if necessary. I also want to program a scope only raise, as well as a scope and top bay raise, using the length the user holds down the trigger as the variable.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Waiting on those parts so here’s where I’m at on the 3D printed version...

twLgjD8.jpg

p3J3KvD.jpg

I’m starting to work on the moving mechanisms by updating my previous designs. I’m going to try to use feedback servos for the extending barrel so won’t need mechanical end-stop switches and a motor with encoder to lift the scope so no potentiometer necessary. Everything is much lighter so less power is needed!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back