The Expanse Big Build - Holden EVA Helmet added 04/22

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been collecting various airsoft guns and helmets (ski & pressure) over the last few years with a mind to build a bunch of Expanse props, and that time has finally come!

After spending a few days screen-capping blu-rays and collecting other refernce, I decided to make a start with Miller's hand termianal, as seen extensively in Season One.

348ilqr.jpg

I drew the terminal in Illustator, allowing space to incorporate a keyring flashlight for illumination.

4fu14m.jpg

The pieces were then laser cut and engraved on clear 3mm acrylic sheet. All of the engraved details aside from the characteristic scratch on Miller's terminal were then given a white wash to bring out the detail. The image of Julie was finished in Photoshop and then reverse printed onto clear adhesive vinyl and applied to the back of the terminal. Final touch was the add the flashlight and push-to-make activator. The finished prop:

iyd5yr.jpg

izow38.jpg

Rocinante computer disks were created in the same way:

nwnds7.jpg
59va4z.jpg

2mx0fly.jpg

Donnager self destruct keys:

2upfddj.jpg

346xgdv.jpg

2qtzpd1.jpg

Julie's 'mouse' data chip and Donnager battle chip:

1zdqf6s.jpg
2lcqzco.jpg

245fqc2.jpg

Julie's hard-copy photo. I photoshopped then printed this onto clear adhesive vinyl, then attached a white vinyl backing.

2u9q005.jpg

2m3fj2s.jpg

Donkey Balls.

9h1hk1.jpg

j8egx1.jpg

Next up: UNN Pistol :)

Last edited:
I am beyond impressed with ALL of these!
My Favourite ongoing tv show, along with the now FINALLY green lit altered carbon series 2, just cant get enough of this.
If you ever decide to offer any of these out [especially the miller phone] colour me in!
keep these coming, I love em!
Nick G

The 'Earth' pistol is based off a TM/WE G26 Advance - a fictional Glock that appeared Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex as a promotional tie-in with Tokyo Marui. There are two main variants in The Expanse - the civilian version carried by Miller and numerous belters has a grey and black paint job with white lettering, and the UNN version, which is black and olive drab with yellow markings and a selector switch on the rear left of the slide.

I had a shot at the Miller version a few years back using a cheap plastic G26A, so this time I decided on the military version.

The best reference for the gun that I've found is the Adam Savage Tested video from a few years back where Adam met with the prop guys from the show, my replica is largely based on captures from that vid.

The real deal:

2zi378z.png

35045d4.jpg

Due to the laws over here that all weapon replicas sold must look really dumb, my G26A looked like this:

wt9gl3.jpg

But not for long...

Dissembled for repainting.

313k2u8.jpg

After spraying the slide with Halfords OD, all of the graphics were airbrushed on using laser cut tape masks.

1zq6oar.jpg

2lleqok.jpg

The flashlight unit was created from acrylic and aluminium parts, and aluminium tube barrels added.

11s0b5s.jpg

And she's done!!

20hkbib.jpg

29zvrle.jpg

10qdo3l.jpg

i51y8i.jpg

MCRN pistol tomorrow!

The Martian pistol is probably the most seen hand gun on The Expanse, and comes in the most amount of variations

Original, with 'taser' (?) unit under the barrel:

21eohux.jpg

dpxu1h.jpg

Tacticool, with flashlight attachment:

ndombt.jpg

Rarely seen Season 2 Version (with mixed up label :behave)

9b8vup.jpg

With plot-demand range-finder:

24c9w20.jpg

The base gun this time round is a WE X Series IPSC

10nf391.jpg

Dissembled in preparation of Martianising

2i0f96a.jpg

I built the taser unit with the top rail of an old Tac-light inside so it can be switched out with the LS-CL flashlight/laser used on the show.

bhc5du.jpg

This build was a bit of an exercise in trial and error in trying to get the top barrel sections right. I have a metal lathe, but no milling equipment to create the window in the rear of the barrel. In the end I used 3mm walled aluminium tube, added the ridges with the lathe, and just used a vinyl sticker for the window, and it looks great :lol

2938qyu.jpg

Building the top detail.

ac4rbm.jpg

It all worked out pretty well, I think. I love this gun!

14celjd.jpg

25aiw61.jpg

73kux4.jpg

282i3o8.jpg

2ibdaja.jpg

307ugw4.jpg

My Flabber has never been SO Gast-ted!
Incredible work sir- if you ever decide to do a run of these-PLEASE let me know!
Now begins the wait for Season 3.......

Last edited:
I will be looking into the possibility of a run of the terminals. I had to get the keychain light from China, the only place I could find them with yelllow LED, so I would need to see if they are still available.

The WE X Series IPSC airsoft goes for around £175 two toned, or £150 UKARA. You would be looking at at least that much again for a build up.
[/h][/h] [/h]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely be interested in a terminal. I tried building my own thinking the “bases” were 3D printed, but the way you’ve made them is both more accurate and outside of my capabilities at the moment. Awesome, awesome job on everything so far! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your pics are broken? Not loading for me.

Tinypic is down. If it doesn't comeback online over the weekend I'll find a new host or upload to the RPF server. I'm not a big fan of the RPF's 'click thumbnail to view' system, but free online hosts seem to have dried up...unless anyone can suggest an alternative?

I have been enjoying all your build pictures birdie, I think if you upload your photo's directly to the "rpf" they can internally save them? as apposed to say company's that screwed everyone over... "cough... photo-oh-now-your-pic's-are-a-no-go bucket..." :unsure

I will do that if necessary, as I said I don't like the RPF's click to enlarge thumbnail system.

I'm probably 2/3 of the way through the Martian Long Rifle build, so should have some new pics soon. After that I will get an interest thread going for the Terminals ;)

I have been enjoying all your build pictures birdie, I think if you upload your photo's directly to the "rpf" they can internally save them? as apposed to say company's that screwed everyone over... "cough... photo-oh-now-your-pic's-are-a-no-go bucket..." :unsure

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back