It's actually been picked back up now that the landscaping season is wrapped up, and our wedding plans are done. And now that I've wrapped the Monster Books and am cruising along on the Indy tank wrap up too, basically, I'm just sitting here cleaning and waiting for paychecks so I can ship stuff.
So I've had more time between castings and the like to take some more swipes at the Dutchman. She's basically become the stress relief project during the evenings in front of the tv. Check it out!!
What's really fun, is now that the railing are all on, and the faces are all in, the ship has finally taken on its proper profile, and has the correct look in perspective, profile, etc.
The shape of the ship was a bear, and I still have errors to correct here and there, but once the after-castles are done, and some minor tweaks around are done, I'll be casting up the entire port side and making one large cast, so I can fix/realign/carve out any changes I want to make, and also recover the extensive amount of clay I've used on the port side. Right now, the foam core ribbed, foam filled ship weighs about 12 pounds. :lol
What will really be fun, is once cast, I can finally see all the port and cannon holes hollowed out, as well as all the cracks, splits, and holes that are all over the sides of the ship. I'll also tool the interior sides of the port side, and then get it all ready for a massive mold.
One fun thing to look for, is that I've started blocking in the aft section. :love
I hope to produce a kit down the road, but at the moment, I think I'm going to llimit it to a one off, or at least wait a year or two. I've had my fill of selling, and I'm sure the forum has too.
I did nab a Black Pearl kit, and it's pretty wild the size difference, even though the Pearl is 109', and the Dutchman is 170'. With the Endevour clocking in at about 200', i've been staring at that final shot of all three togheter, and even though The Dutchman has a lot of ship hiding under water, and I'm pretty sure that shot of them peppering the sides of the Endeavor has an upscaled Pearl in it. I've been measuring and remeasuring for about a week now.
My Dutchman looks to be clocking in in 1/72 at about 28 inches long.
Either way, I'm pretty happy with the sculpt as its going, and once I get some more free time, I'll get the half castles done and the side cast up for final mastering. I'll probably be reducing its overall shape thought, making here a touch leaner from top to bottom.
i don't know if you've figured out the seaweed yet, but what if you dipped string into some glue and sprinkled it with flocking? a combination of brown and green just might get what you're going for...
I did actually! I'm just going to use some left over cotton from this Halloweens spider web, get a little white glue in it and drag it along picking up dirt and gunk, but your idea would defiantly work for the rigging!
Amazing work Hotshot, I mean, it's really nice! Hoping you'll reconsider waiting a year or two to produce a kit. I bet I'm not the only one on these boards that would love to get one of these to go with the Pearl.
i wish I had good news on this project (or on any project front), but I've taken myself outta the game for the last year or so, just to work on other things. Worst part is, once i received my Black Pearl kit, I realized quite quickly that my Dutchman was scaled too large. Turns out my measurements were right, but placed inccorectly. I took the 137 foot measurement to mean stem to stern, but it turns out that measurement was taken from stern lamps to bowsprit tip. Thew the scale off by about 1 1/2 all the way around, making my Dutchman more 1/48 scale. Oops . . .
I'm not sure if I'll return to it, or chuck it and start over. A more interesting suggestion made by a friend here, Is to scan the model into the computer and take it from there. Hmmmmmm.....
Time shall tell.
I will tease you all by saying that a Queen Anne's Revenge IS underway. More to come on that . . .
My heart goes out to you! I've had a similar thing happen once (mis-scaled a car based on driver measurements).
One other thing: I was following this one pretty early on, but now if you read the thread from the beginning, it's crazy because your early pic posts have been overwritten by other project pics (like The Thing and Star Wars (I think)! Hopefully the source photos weren't overwritten--that would be another bummer.
So, after getting ALOT of stuff finished and cleaned up, I found myself recharged and have started over on the ship. I've since redone ALL the measurements, and redone all my math on the scale, and found out my length was off by about 4 1/2 inches, and the width was off by 2 inches!! That's one fat mama! The good news is that now I have a set of proper printed plans, and am building her up, deck by deck, old school. With tracing paper and everything. Her size is still very impressive in 1/72, clocking in a 21.6 inches. The bowsprit will add another 5 inches, and the stern lanterns will add 1 1/2 inches. She's much more streamlined now, and the overall shape matches photos way, way, better. Her height is also impressive, with the highest point being about 8 inches. About half the ship exists underwater. When I put her next to the Pearl at waterline height, everything matches up perfectly fom the 'I've got a jar of dirt!" scene. I'm gonna get some pictures up eventually, but I'm so charmed by the progress I've made, I felt obligated to update!!