"The Dutchman, is under MY control!" 1/72 Flying Dutchman POTC

Rhett J Martin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been working on this for a long time . . . finally getting it where I want it to be.

9762-dutchman.jpg

Lots to fix, lots to fiddle with, but over all I'm having a blast with this thing!!

More to come soon!!

Last edited:
Re: Coming soon . . .1/72 Flying Dutchman POTC

Yup My breath is totally bated. I have my popcorn and im just going to sit here and watch this. Looks good already

this is so awesome, keep up the great work! what are you using to sculpt with? sculpey or wed im guessing

Foam core skeleton/framing, expanding foam fill, Apoxie Sculpt skin, wed clay details/faces

Glad you like!

Wow! That's looking amazing! The wood effect is lovely.

Another must have on my subscriptions. :)

Foam core skeleton/framing, expanding foam fill, Apoxie Sculpt skin, wed clay details/faces

Glad you like!

Ohh okay, thats really interesting you used apoxie sculpt, at least you wont have to worry about it since it doenst need to be baked. I can see where you added the wed on top of it now, just slightly darker than the apoxie. cool sculpt though keep it up!

Wow. I have not seen that since you lived here in Maryland. Glad to see you are finally getting back to it. Can't wait to see it finished. Good to see you at Thanksgiving. Let me know when you are coming back to Maryland. I may need to to paint that Dreadnought for me.

Scott

Got some more work done on this while waiting on different things to cure, dry, etc. I'm basically blueprinting these, rubber cementing them to the plastic sheet, cutting them, then sculpting over top. I'm pretty excited, cause now it actually looks like the ship, and has much more character!!

I also shortened the busted bow sprit 'nose' on the front. It was WAY too long.

Foredeck ralings added:
10294-dutcmanrails.jpg

Front "mouth" and bowsprit
10295-dutchmansmile.jpg

More to come!!

this is absolutely fantastic!

i started converting a WASA ship model -- sculpting the faces on sides and adding the ribbing, etc, but put it aside to build the Zvezda Black Pearl. I should be done with Pearl in a month or so (just started in on all that complex rigging) and then will go back to Dutchman.

your build looks phenomenal -- is this all from scratch or did you use a model of existing ship to modify?

also, how do you plan to attack the sculpture on very back end of ship?

i'll be watching this thread with great interest...i have seen only one other person tackle this project, and it does not hold a candle to what you are doing.

Woohoo! Now that's something I could sink my teeth into.... Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.....

Glad you guys like it!!

Yes, this is entirely scratched. She's topping out a 31 inches long, and about 6 wide, so she's pretty big, and should sit nicely next to the Pearl.

The building of this started with the blueprints and a boatload of images.

Cut the decks out of sintra, mounted them on foam core ribs, filled with expanding foam, sculpted it down, and am covering with Apoxie Sculpt, detailing with WED clay, then setting that with Etching Primer and Primer filler.

The sculpt on the back of the ship isn't nearly as scary as getting all the front teeth cut and matched up, as well as all the railings. My references on those are fairly scarce, and has taken quite alot of dissection. I've gotten them all sculpted though, and am adding barnacles today, as well as the holding boards underneath, then the rigging, then it's off to the races on the bow sprit and the Grim Reaper figurehead.

I will be kitting this BTW. :)

when you say you'll be "kitting" this -- do you mean as a resin model?

or simply providing blueprints so one can build it like you have done?

if you plan to offer as a resin kit, then i'm very interested, and happy to share any reference pics i have, but i imagine you have everything i could manage to find on internet.

Yes . . .kitting in resin and plastic. While it's the last thing on the to-do list, the sails might end up being clear plastic vacformed. I'm only in the early stages of figuring it out . . .

The sails in the film are veiny and translucent with loads of seaweed over top, so it'll be a chore to figure that on out.

count me in as VERY interested in this kit

i planned to use the vacuform sails that came with the WASA ship model i was converting, but cutting/burning holes in them

do you plan to add string rigging to the kit? or could it possibly be an optional thing? i'm not sure if i could survive another round of rigging as complex as the Black Pearl kit :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back