"The Dutchman, is under MY control!" 1/72 Flying Dutchman POTC

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Hotshot, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Been working on this for a long time . . . finally getting it where I want it to be.

[​IMG]

Lots to fix, lots to fiddle with, but over all I'm having a blast with this thing!!

More to come soon!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. ZYZYGY

ZYZYGY New Member

Re: Coming soon . . .1/72 Flying Dutchman POTC

Yup My breath is totally bated. I have my popcorn and im just going to sit here and watch this. Looks good already

3. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Ha, thanks! Heres two more just for you sir!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. joez2391

joez2391 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is so awesome, keep up the great work! what are you using to sculpt with? sculpey or wed im guessing

5. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Foam core skeleton/framing, expanding foam fill, Apoxie Sculpt skin, wed clay details/faces

Glad you like!

6. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Looks great..... Would go nicely with the zvesda Black Pearl

7. El Visitor

El Visitor Member

Wow! That's looking amazing! The wood effect is lovely.

Another must have on my subscriptions. :)

8. joez2391

joez2391 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ohh okay, thats really interesting you used apoxie sculpt, at least you wont have to worry about it since it doenst need to be baked. I can see where you added the wed on top of it now, just slightly darker than the apoxie. cool sculpt though keep it up!

9. vaderman1701

vaderman1701 Well-Known Member

Wow. I have not seen that since you lived here in Maryland. Glad to see you are finally getting back to it. Can't wait to see it finished. Good to see you at Thanksgiving. Let me know when you are coming back to Maryland. I may need to to paint that Dreadnought for me.

Scott

10. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

I love it!

Steve

11. Ronan87

Ronan87 Sr Member

Insane...

12. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Got some more work done on this while waiting on different things to cure, dry, etc. I'm basically blueprinting these, rubber cementing them to the plastic sheet, cutting them, then sculpting over top. I'm pretty excited, cause now it actually looks like the ship, and has much more character!!

I also shortened the busted bow sprit 'nose' on the front. It was WAY too long.

Foredeck ralings added:
    [​IMG]

Front "mouth" and bowsprit
    [​IMG]

More to come!!

13. Plane Crazy

Plane Crazy Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This looks great. Can't wait for more pics. :)

14. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Ooh! Looking good!

15. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

this is absolutely fantastic!

i started converting a WASA ship model -- sculpting the faces on sides and adding the ribbing, etc, but put it aside to build the Zvezda Black Pearl. I should be done with Pearl in a month or so (just started in on all that complex rigging) and then will go back to Dutchman.

your build looks phenomenal -- is this all from scratch or did you use a model of existing ship to modify?

also, how do you plan to attack the sculpture on very back end of ship?

i'll be watching this thread with great interest...i have seen only one other person tackle this project, and it does not hold a candle to what you are doing.

16. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Woohoo! Now that's something I could sink my teeth into.... Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.....

17. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Glad you guys like it!!

Yes, this is entirely scratched. She's topping out a 31 inches long, and about 6 wide, so she's pretty big, and should sit nicely next to the Pearl.

The building of this started with the blueprints and a boatload of images.

Cut the decks out of sintra, mounted them on foam core ribs, filled with expanding foam, sculpted it down, and am covering with Apoxie Sculpt, detailing with WED clay, then setting that with Etching Primer and Primer filler.

The sculpt on the back of the ship isn't nearly as scary as getting all the front teeth cut and matched up, as well as all the railings. My references on those are fairly scarce, and has taken quite alot of dissection. I've gotten them all sculpted though, and am adding barnacles today, as well as the holding boards underneath, then the rigging, then it's off to the races on the bow sprit and the Grim Reaper figurehead.

I will be kitting this BTW. :)

18. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

when you say you'll be "kitting" this -- do you mean as a resin model?

or simply providing blueprints so one can build it like you have done?

if you plan to offer as a resin kit, then i'm very interested, and happy to share any reference pics i have, but i imagine you have everything i could manage to find on internet.

19. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Yes . . .kitting in resin and plastic. While it's the last thing on the to-do list, the sails might end up being clear plastic vacformed. I'm only in the early stages of figuring it out . . .

The sails in the film are veiny and translucent with loads of seaweed over top, so it'll be a chore to figure that on out.

20. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

count me in as VERY interested in this kit

i planned to use the vacuform sails that came with the WASA ship model i was converting, but cutting/burning holes in them

do you plan to add string rigging to the kit? or could it possibly be an optional thing? i'm not sure if i could survive another round of rigging as complex as the Black Pearl kit :)

21. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

also, i planned on using the green shrubbery stuff for seaweed on my kit -- the kind they use on train miniatures...so this is something you might consider -- not sculpting it onto sails, but letting it be something you add to the sails or elsewhere on kit after it is built. my 2 cents.

regardless, please keep me on any mailing list you compile once kit is listed for sale -- teckel@bellsouth.net

i will also check this thread over the coming months.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  22. Rango

Rango New Member

That's looking awesome! keep us updated!

23. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Got the teeth wrapped up, as well as the various boards underneath, and have started on the rails. Bow sprit and grim reaper have also been started.

Also have all the faces on the side ready to be cast so I can reapeat them up and down the ship, and started the cannon.

Primed it in red due to running out of gray.
    More to come
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]

24. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

bravo!

25. Primo50

Primo50 New Member

That looks sick dude.

26. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Thanks! Got nearly the whole starboard side 'faced.' The grey primer makes this look alot more like I want it too. I've laid a bit too much on, so once I tear back down, I'll do a bit of re-scribing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I'm back to the captain's cabin, I'll probably start laying some silicone here and there so I can handle this thing a bit less delicatly.

27. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

this is going to be fantastic. i have decided that i will not continue work on the WASA ship i was converting (just had one side more or less done) as it was smaller in scale and would be nowhere near as detailed...it would have been close, but for all the work i would have to put into finishing it, i just as soon build your kit.

i am honestly amazed that someone is doing this -- i thought i was one of the only people on this forum who truly wanted a model of this ship...and i am glad i got my hands on a ZVEZDA Pearl before they had to alter the kit due to the license issues with Disney.

i am still a bit surprised that an official licensed kit was never offered of these ships...i guess they figured the toy versions of the ships and/or the small handful of other licensed ship replicas would fill market need...and maybe they were right.

regardless, i can't say enough about how excited i am that someone with your skill is doing this. i look forward to purchasing your kit and displaying it alongside my Pearl.

28. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Thanks man . . .I just hope you and I aren't the only ones!! Casting this thing should be a major undertaking!!

Either way, if this is successful, I can easily see myself moving onto a Queen Anne's Revenge. All you gotta build is add on parts!! :lol

29. Davard74

Davard74 Member

30. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Oh yea, seen those!! THose pics really got me charged up on the smaller version I had sculpted, and later, tossed once the Pearl came out in 72nd scale.

31. MonsterModelMan

MonsterModelMan New Member

Looking forward to seeing this kit!

Hotshot ~ keep me posted bobjacon@comcast.net as to when you get this casted up. I too am also working on the Black Pearl along with drmcoy and think this would make a great addition to the fleet!

MMM

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  32. IndianaFett

IndianaFett New Member

This is looking FANTASTIC! I will DEFINITELY be interested in a kit to match the Zvezda 'Black Pearl' ship...

:thumbsup

33. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Front railing and bow sprit nearly done. Faces on both sides are done. Pics coming soon.

34. IndianaFett

IndianaFett New Member

Oh wow, really looking forward to that! It's looking so amazing so far!!!

35. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Got the bow sprint up and in, and am wrapping up the railings. I'm looking forward to getting all the main deck and gangway railing done too, as that will be the halfway point on the ship's body. I've also gotten the faces done on each side, and have even mocked up the cannons, including the triple guns. I've also got a touch of correction tomake to some of the lines on the hull. More pics coming soon. . . .I don't have enough room to fully photograph this thing!!

[​IMG]

36. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

You have to keep me posted on this. I soooooooooo Want one!

37. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Trade you a half scale 1701 for one!! ;)

Seriously though . . .I should have this ready for sale round about late Feb. I'm dying to do the paint job!!

38. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

hey hotshot, what's your best guess at price? even a range would be nice -- simply ask so i know how many pennies i need to be savin', cause i'll want one of the first one's out of your molds!

PM or email me if needed to stay within board guidelines.

39. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

I think we're gonna be in the neighborhood of 300-400 . . . Most of the cost will go towards the packing and shipping. I'll know more once the sails and masts are figured out and I can do some real work on the silicone and resin math. I also am not sure if I'm going to have the captain's cabin and various decks open for stowage and cannon placement, or just have slots for the cannon to sit in.

40. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

thanks.

41. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

No prob. Hoping to do better on that price point, we'll see once I do the hard math.

Also, feedback on how much deck detail/spaces to detail would be helpful. I'm torn.

42. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

well, i am sure there are many modelers who would love and appreciate all the detail you can cram into the thing.

me, well, not to say my standards are lower, but i'm happy with less deck detail as i do not intend to look at the finished piece with a microscope, but love having a nice representation of the ship to sit out on my shelf. the most i would do is try to customize some of the available pirate figures (provided yours is similar in scale to Zvezda Pearl) so the ship could have some crew milling about.

those that wish to add more detail could...like the peter who is modifying the heck out of his Pearl (looks amazing), but guys like me happy to build as is.

that said, it is your project, and you're ultimately the one that has to be happy with it. i have no experience pulling molds and making resin copies, so i have no idea how much more difficult it is to add this detail and make sure it does not get lost in the molding process.

i will repeat that what i've seen so far blows me away. while the price point may mean i have to send payments in weekly installments, i am definitely in for this as i have always wanted a model of this ship...and i can't imagine any model company will be releasing a styrene kit of this anytime soon, especially considering what happened with the Zvezda Pearl kit.

43. BladeoftheMoon

BladeoftheMoon Active Member

I was waiting for this for awhile..looking pretty sweet and I love the scale..might need to start saving.. ;D

44. Nemo2001

Nemo2001 New Member

I'm in if you make this as a kit,
    cheers,Gordon

45. MonsterModelMan

MonsterModelMan New Member

How about posting a pic or two of the other end or back of the ship...would love to see your work on that!

MMM

46. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

LOL! I missed this post. We can work something out you and I. Between you me and Scott, we'll get something done.

47. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Ack! I don't have anything sculpted back there . . .YET. . .
    I've held off while finishing up the Indy tank, but I'll be heading back to sea soon!

48. Underdog

Underdog Sr Member

Anything new on this?

49. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

I'm pretty much just cast cannons . . .over and over and over . . . .zzzzzz I think I'm going to have some time this weekend to do a little work on her though.

50. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

any updates ??