The DEFINITIVE TDK Joker Costume Thread/Project

While I like both coats for the different reasons you mentioned, I think I like the second one the best. BTW I can't believe you found a purple overcoat at the Goodwill. Awesome find! ...I just think it fits you better. If you go with the second one and just bought that at Hot Topic, you can probably still return it.

Thanks DarthGordon. I know I was blown away when I found that coat! It was only 9.99. I felt like I was shoplifting or something. I bolted for the register for fear of some employee telling me that coat wasn't for sale or something :lol

Good call on the return too!

Something that confuses me. This is supposed to be the screen used costume right?

http://cittadiniperbatman.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/img_0147.jpg

But the two top buttons here don't look anything like that.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/j4ever/batman/joker_empire_lesser_text.jpg

They just look like regular green buttons :confused

Is this just a tour suit? Why would a cool detail like this only be on a tour suit?

Nobody has really been able to answer that...but the least I can say is, those cool buttons weren't in the movie.

Those shirts are okay in a pinch. And seeing as I have no one to sew a shirt from fabric, and that Indy may not be able to get them out before Halloween, it's the shirt I'll be using.

Again, it's ok. And not the worst thing in the world. It's only $34, so you could do much worse. But for me, I'm taking solice in the fact that I didn't pay squat for it, so I don't feel as guilty. :p

Oh yea, Hot Topic is also selling the tie and socks.

The tie I got in store for $13 (well, not really...), and the socks are supposedly an online exclusive only. Like the shirt, the tie will suffice, and the socks look particularly good to me.

Thank you so much for showing me that tie before I went and bought the same tie off the bay for 30 bucks!

You guys are awesome! Is the tie available in stores?

I saw the trench coat (thin cotton, but will do for Halloween), the vest, trousers, shirt, tie and socks in the local Hot Topic yesterday, so the socks ARE available in stores.

Wes

I saw the Hot Topic items the other day. I had no choice but to chuckle to myself because the quality and accuracy is so off, that it's really just for the 'average' costumer whom has no intention of going for authenticity but more the 'look'.
Like most here, I have spent the last few months researching and putting together my costume. Most of my pieces are pretty high-end.
The tie from HT is very ugly. The color looks terrible as does the pattern and the fabric feels like the cheap Zazzle.com ties.
The shirt is terrible too. But I'm a real stickler for authenticity so my costume has to be authentic looking. I know most people won't shell out the kind of cash I have invested in my Joker costume, but the point is, a LOT of people are going to be the Joker this year and I know my costume will stand out and put them all to shame.
Most serious members of this board have gone to greath lengths to get 'the right stuff' for thier costume.
The point here is, there are three kinds of 'costumers'; the first is the average person who would buy the mass-produced Rubies costume. This person really doesn't care at all about accuracy or quality. It's just for one night and that's all.
The second, will want something a little better and go after items like what is being sold and Hot Topic. This person wants better quality but may not have scrutinized photographs of the real costume to see how innacurate and low-quality thier costume is....and in the long run, really doesn't care.
The third, is those like me who demand nothing but the best, down to the smallest detail. Yeah, the 'replica' socks do the trick very well, but the REAL socks from Tabio give you a sense of pride knowing you are wearing the real deal...and the quality of the socks is much better. A serious costumer makes it a hobby to put thier costume together, ensuring that every piece is as best as it can be without cutting corners.
I'm not trying to put anyone down here, but the reason we see these cheap knock-off costumes out there is because people buy them. I don't understand why some company can accuire the rights to do more accurate replicas of the costume (but then, where would the fun be if you didn't have to work for it?)
'Holla' back if you smell what I'm cooking...

I saw the Hot Topic items the other day. I had no choice but to chuckle to myself because the quality and accuracy is so off, that it's really just for the 'average' costumer whom has no intention of going for authenticity but more the 'look'.
Like most here, I have spent the last few months researching and putting together my costume. Most of my pieces are pretty high-end.
The tie from HT is very ugly. The color looks terrible as does the pattern and the fabric feels like the cheap Zazzle.com ties.
The shirt is terrible too. But I'm a real stickler for authenticity so my costume has to be authentic looking. I know most people won't shell out the kind of cash I have invested in my Joker costume, but the point is, a LOT of people are going to be the Joker this year and I know my costume will stand out and put them all to shame.
Most serious members of this board have gone to greath lengths to get 'the right stuff' for thier costume.
The point here is, there are three kinds of 'costumers'; the first is the average person who would buy the mass-produced Rubies costume. This person really doesn't care at all about accuracy or quality. It's just for one night and that's all.
The second, will want something a little better and go after items like what is being sold and Hot Topic. This person wants better quality but may not have scrutinized photographs of the real costume to see how innacurate and low-quality thier costume is....and in the long run, really doesn't care.
The third, is those like me who demand nothing but the best, down to the smallest detail. Yeah, the 'replica' socks do the trick very well, but the REAL socks from Tabio give you a sense of pride knowing you are wearing the real deal...and the quality of the socks is much better. A serious costumer makes it a hobby to put thier costume together, ensuring that every piece is as best as it can be without cutting corners.
I'm not trying to put anyone down here, but the reason we see these cheap knock-off costumes out there is because people buy them. I don't understand why some company can accuire the rights to do more accurate replicas of the costume (but then, where would the fun be if you didn't have to work for it?)
'Holla' back if you smell what I'm cooking...

You missed one. People who want the best, yet can't afford it.
I'm with you about laughing at the costume, although, I did it out loud.
You are absolutely right, the socks are the only decent thing they offer. But, for someone on a budget, who wants good enough, not perfect, this would be an ideal costume.

We've come a long way since the old Ben Cooper plastic wraps and masks on a string with the mass produced costumes, yet there is a long way to go.

Personally, the Joker costume has gotten old, real fast. I saw a metric butt-ton of them at DC. However, I do enjoy helping people find whatever they need to get their costumes together, regardless of the quality they prefer. However, GF, if yours is as good as you say, I actually look forward to seeing it. I do appreciate a dead accurate costume.

Wes

Don't get me wrong - my costume is not going to be perfect (at this time, I don't think anyone's will be). Due mostly to time contraints, I had to get some less-than-perfect pieces however they will surely be made up for by the pieces that are done well, not to mention my makeup job. I am blessed with a face that will look pretty good in the makeup and i have been working on my impression so I can stay in character all halloween night.
I am having trouble finding pants that i am happy with and I am still looking for a movie-accurate grey blazer. Other than that I am pretty much set.

Yea i am part of the group of people who want the best but cant afford it. The big cost for me is shipping seeing as I am in Canada. Even shipping from the states now is getting way out of hand and sometimes can cost more than half the item cost. So not being able to find any Canadian suppliers my best bet is to simply go second hand.

By that account i have a great Jacket, just not an orange lining. I have a blue shirt, which i might do the iron ons for. I have a vest which has green fabric sewn on, not the right colour or style but its the best i could find. Same for the pants... everything i have is the best i can find.

And in the end thats all you can do

Agreed. Some of us would love to have large sums of disposable cash, but just don't. I can't justify spending so much on something I'm only going to wear a few times. I also have a life outside this hobby and would like to be perceived as somewhat normal.

Anywho, here's what I've gone with so far.

I've purchased this from ebay. I haven't received it yet and don't expect to for at least another week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180292317326&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I plan to use the overcoat and jacket. I'm not sure about the gloves, they don't look so good. I'm tempted to dye a pair of leather gloves myself. The shirt I'm going to use the pattern provided by Jarvis here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=47305. I'm just going to use some iron on transfer paper like Scottyknuckles.

I'm going with the Hot Topic tie, because it's awfully close and I refuse to pay 80 bucks or more for a tie I'm using with a costume. Even the very nice silk ties I have hanging in my closet (which I rarely get the opportunity to wear) only cost me about 30 to 40 bucks a piece.

For socks I already got these

http://www.sockdreams.com/_shop/pages/product_detail_ProductID_1280.php

Link provided by kibosh. The HT socks are closer and the same price, but I've already purchased these, so they'll have to do.

For pants, I have some blue pinstripes already that I'll attempt to dye.

I still have to find shoes. I think I'll check the thrift stores first for those. I think that'll be okay if I spray them down with Lysol and then antibacterial foot powder right? That's what they use at the bowling alley.

After that, I'll still need a chain and wig. I'm thinking of going with the Rubies wig, but don't know what size to go with.

For scars, I'm going to experiment with some stuff next weekend. I don't like the latex stuff I've seen on the internet. It all appears too bulky and not very flexible.

...am I missing anything?

I found a great option for the grey blazer finally. Ebay member Tssy2005 has a great replica with the orange lining already installed.
Has anyone found a resource for an accurate chain??
Other than that, the damn pants are still driving me crazy.

Hey fellas. I took some new pics of my Joker costume so far. These are mainly just to show the overcoat. I've just been trying to dial the look of the outfit in, so no makeup on this trial run.

I need some help and opinions on the costume from the members here. I have 2 jackets in these photos. And need to decide which one I will focus my efforts of weathering and button detail, etc. on.

#1 is the Hot Topic coat. Accurate in shape and look. But is the wrong material(cotton) and is a little shorter in length. Plus no lining.

3-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

#2 is my first coat I found at a Goodwill. I've taken it to a tailor to have fitted a little better. Now accurate in overall shape and look(purple wool too!), but the collar and sleeve seams are a little off. This one has a nice lining too, though not the right color.

9-1.jpg

8-2.jpg

7-2.jpg

So, whattya guys think? Which one makes the cut?

And these are just updates to the suit. New vest dyed by me. New shirt and tie. New socks. :)

1-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

10-2.jpg

I still need to find better shoes and gloves. And give everything a good weathering to get a real grimy look. Plus a ton of tiny details(button discrepencies and whatnot). Which are all going to get upated. :)

Overall how's it looking? I just need to work more on makeup. :)

Thanks!

That second jacket looks perfect!!! Your costume looks great! Also, I was wondering were you got the hot topic jacket? I looked online, but didn't see it. Is it only available in their stores? It looks pretty close for my budget. How much did you get yours for (if you don't mind saying). Thanks.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back