The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Ok guys i'm finished with the one boot minus the rocket base and started the next. I have more photos in my thread if you want to check them out.
http://www.therpf.com/f78/my-star-lord-outfit-build-219903/index4.html
IMG_6416.jpgIMG_6417.jpg

@Capn_Jack_Savvy, Thanks for the info. I stopped and got some black leather stain, not dye to try once i get the coat. I asked him if can get couple scrap peace to try one.

Is anyone making these? The Pads and clips?View attachment 445875

You can get the clips on Shapeways. For the pads, youre on your own. Ive gotten some tips from Kevin Gossett. Im going to make a go of it this weekend. The biggest problem I have is getting the leather. The hobby stores around here sell these squares of leather, Im hoping that I can find one big enough.

Kevin, in your estimation, how long, top to bottom, are the holster pads?

I'm working on a Star Lord commission for a small 14 year old. He's chosen the short jacket ensemble and I've been combing the internet for references and angles. I have a couple things that are unclear, I hope that I did not just miss them being discussed/answered already...

PANTS!
Working on seaming... sometimes it looks like the corduroy thigh panels aren't attached to the pants along the bottom seam. Am I the only one that sees it? Perhaps I'm just over-thinking it because I've been basically staring at photos of Pratt's crotch for three days straight.....

Also I patterned the knees out as stitched panels, but after looking at joatrash's photos a few pages back with the pocket pleats, I'm wondering if I should change the pattern? The pieces look like panels to me, but it's hard to tell since they're always wrinkled up.

The photo Kevin posted on pg 51 solved like four problems for me. The biggest was that I had been trying to guess where the inner thigh panels were going; it looked like the back of the pants were just one long seam down the centre, which didn't make sense. The photo shows a seam on the left that I'm pretty sure is the continuation of the inner thigh panels from the front. Also there's a little tab/pocket on the top back I totally missed!

JACKET!
Has anyone found a way to tackle the inlaid metal rectangular rings on the jacket sleeves? These delightful things:
starlordsleeve.jpg

I have a grommet/snap press, but it doesn't have dies for rectangular rings. :(

This is my favourite costume break-down thread of all time. You guys are all incredible; thanks so much for the resources! It's made researching a lot of fun.

starlordsleeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working on a Star Lord commission

The thigh panels are NOT sewn flat against the legs at the bottom. Good catch. (I did maybe a 15mm strip there... no way to know exactly how wide it really is.)

Not really sure what you mean by the knees, but I did them with folds so that they "expand" when you bend your leg. I'm almost positive that's how they did the real ones because if not, Pratt would have a very hard time doing all the fighting and such. (I also put a piece of elastic band on the inside to make the knees go back into shape when my leg is straightened.)

The inner thighs are a whole mess of seams, in more than one material. They are basically mimicking riding pants or reinforced cargo pants. It's a litte hard to understand what seam you are referring to on the left. The little tab serves no function as far as I know... just a very oddly placed details reminiscent of old-west undergarments, haha.

The rectangular "rings" are just oval grommets/eyelets. It's probably one of THE most discussed details from the jacket and bag! Look in the bag threads for info on those. You don't really need a tool to bend them in place, just pliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rectangular "rings" are just oval grommets/eyelets. It's probably one of THE most discussed details from the jacket and bag! Look in the bag threads for info on those. You don't really need a tool to bend them in place, just pliers.

HAH oh of course. so much for trying to avoid repeating questions. I didn't even think to look at the bag threads since it's not on my to-do list. Thanks for the pointer.

This photo has a seam on the left that angles into that long seam running down his leg, it's close to where the zipper top ends. I'd mark it in Photoshop but I'm not at my own computer right now so I'm sorry if it's confusing.
2015-02-24 10.58.07_zpsn5udcjcm.jpg

The only other shot I could find with a clear view of his back is this one, which isn't close enough to see that seam (or that wrinkle hides it maybe):
Star-Lord_and_Gamora (2).jpg

Which would put the inner thigh panels going..nowhere, until that photo above showed another seam. They're a lot like riding pants, which I guess makes sense, though I can't imagine why they chose corduroy on one of the most stressed areas of the body (knees), since it breaks down so quickly. OH WELL.

OK also THANKS for making me not feel like a crazy for thinking the bottoms of the thigh panels weren't sewn down...! What an interesting design choice. I wonder if it's actually a vent or if there's a hidden fold there to give him more movability. And thanks for clarifying how you made the folded knees. I think that I misread the photo and thought it was done another way but from how you described it, I was actually just misinterpreting the photo. Sorry about that. :)

HAH oh of course. so much for trying to avoid repeating questions. I didn't even think to look at the bag threads since it's not on my to-do list. Thanks for the pointer.

This photo has a seam on the left that angles into that long seam running down his leg, .....

....... I wonder if it's actually a vent or if there's a hidden fold there to give him more movability. And thanks for clarifying how you made the folded knees. I think that I misread the photo and thought it was done another way but from how you described it, I was actually just misinterpreting the photo. Sorry about that. :)

Ok, gotcha. I suspected you meant that seam but I wasn't sure. I haven't looked at my pants (or photos of Pratt's pants) for a few weeks so I can't remember with 100% certainty, but I think it ends in the central crotch seam (or whatever you call it) where both legs meet. Another thing worth knowing is that the material above and below (or inside/out if you prefer) is different. It looks the same in the photos above but it is not. I discovered that really late in the process while looking at some high-resolution images after I had already sewn up that part so had to go back and rip them apart to fix it.

The pockets definitely have a folds underneath, because you can see them stretch out a bit in some action scenes. I've also seen photos of the knees where you can see there is definitely more material there than just the flat panels, so they have folds as well.

Is it the saddle seam you are referring to? It's a common detail in old west saddle pants.

I think this is the seam we are talking about, marked in green:
seam.jpg

The thigh panels you're talking about are pockets. The strip a the bottom allows you to put stuff in them, although I don't think he ever does.

The panels at the knees are gussets, meant to expand. The pants are really tight and the bottom several inches are elastic, so they don't slide up. For Pratt to bend his knees, they put in two gussets on each knee. As for the choice of corduroy, that might have only been on the hero pants or only on the pair at the end of the movie. He also prominently wears a pair of pants with moleskin taking the place of the corduroy. The official Marvel images are those ones. The corduroy pants have only shown up so far at the Galleria display.

I've patterned these pants scaled down to a sheet of letter paper based on seeing a couple pairs of them on display (each pair has different gussets at the knees, but otherwise the patterns are the same.) There are some ridiculous seams that make the pants a real pain to sew properly.

There are some ridiculous seams that make the pants a real pain to sew properly.

Tell me about it. I thought the pants would be easy after slaving with the jacket and while they didn't take as long, they did end up being a chore to do.

Ok, gotcha. I suspected you meant that seam but I wasn't sure. I haven't looked at my pants (or photos of Pratt's pants) for a few weeks so I can't remember with 100% certainty, but I think it ends in the central crotch seam (or whatever you call it) where both legs meet. Another thing worth knowing is that the material above and below (or inside/out if you prefer) is different. It looks the same in the photos above but it is not. I discovered that really late in the process while looking at some high-resolution images after I had already sewn up that part so had to go back and rip them apart to fix it.

The pockets definitely have a folds underneath, because you can see them stretch out a bit in some action scenes. I've also seen photos of the knees where you can see there is definitely more material there than just the flat panels, so they have folds as well.

I think this is the seam we are talking about, marked in green:
View attachment 446360

Whoa. I completely missed that seam...

The thigh panels you're talking about are pockets. The strip a the bottom allows you to put stuff in them, although I don't think he ever does.

The panels at the knees are gussets, meant to expand. The pants are really tight and the bottom several inches are elastic, so they don't slide up. For Pratt to bend his knees, they put in two gussets on each knee. As for the choice of corduroy, that might have only been on the hero pants or only on the pair at the end of the movie. He also prominently wears a pair of pants with moleskin taking the place of the corduroy. The official Marvel images are those ones. The corduroy pants have only shown up so far at the Galleria display.

I've patterned these pants scaled down to a sheet of letter paper based on seeing a couple pairs of them on display (each pair has different gussets at the knees, but otherwise the patterns are the same.) There are some ridiculous seams that make the pants a real pain to sew properly.

Risu, do you sell your pants pattern? I'd love to attempt them and have the zippers but I imagine I couldn't hope to pin them down better than you have.

D

Unfortunately, my pants pattern is nowhere near finished. I don't expect to sell it, though. I may post pictures once the pants are made.

Another thing worth knowing is that the material above and below (or inside/out if you prefer) is different. It looks the same in the photos above but it is not. I discovered that really late in the process while looking at some high-resolution images after I had already sewn up that part so had to go back and rip them apart to fix it.

The pockets definitely have a folds underneath, because you can see them stretch out a bit in some action scenes.

Yeah I did not realise they were two different fabrics until that photo as well!! One looks more like a twill & the other more like a brushed canvas or a moleskin, in the photo at least. Do you have other hi-res photos of the back of the pants? >_>

also of course, POCKETS ugh how did i miss that's what they are?! thanks for all your help.

There are some ridiculous seams that make the pants a real pain to sew properly.

Yeah, it's been a fascinating challenge. Thanks for the pointers about the gussets - I think I might opt for moleskin for the sake of durability on a child.
I did a lot of small patterning on paper as well haha! but I think today I'm ready to make an actual sample.

Whoa. I completely missed that seam...

Yes I did too at first. It's sneaky!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back