The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

There are some really great concept sketches on everything from sets, planets, uniforms, spacecraft, costumes, aliens, and main characters. But as far as movie reference materials, its a little light. It doesnt contain alot of completed movie costumes or detail photos of the camera-ready stuff.

It's really more focused on the conceptual side..it's almost all sketches and preliminary renders. It seems like this book came out much earlier than the other 'Art of' books did in relation to release of the film, so maybe they didn't have access to the final film while they were writing it.

Agreed, I was a bit disappointed too, the other books feature lots of high res shots from the films, as well as more details, this one is way more focused on the art. I love the art, but like you said, it's lacking in reference. For instance I was hoping to get some really good shots of the Nova Corps/Nova prime uniform so I could work on a costume for my fiancee, but alas, there was just a few drawings and no photos. Bummer.

They're a mix of corduroy (horizontal, fine wale--not traditional vertical), twill, and canvas as far as I can tell from the high-res close ups I have of the Arclight display. Those are the fabrics I intend on using when I make mine.

It's sideways corduroy (I found the exact stuff in LA but unfortunately bought the last of it), a slightly odd weave of canvas, and slightly waxed denim. All black. And the holsters on the hips are dark brown lambskin.

Cool beans. Thanks. :)

I have the Art of Guardians of the Galaxy book, which is where that concept drawing is from. I don't have it right here in front of me, but I believe that drawing is actually for one of the monsters that fights in the table top battle at the bar on Knowhere (where Drax gets drunk and fights with Groot).

I remember the gambling was more about a giant lizard like creature catching and eating these smaller rat-light creatures. Might the smaller rat creatures be the same as the ones from the beginning of the film on the deserted planet? I have the art of the film book too. I'll have to check when I get home to see if there is any more clear info on this.

There isn't any indication that they're same creatures from the Art book, but I think that falls under the "close enough" category, don't you? :)

There isn't any indication that they're same creatures from the Art book, but I think that falls under the "close enough" category, don't you? :)

I think it'll have to until better images of the other ones come out. There's always a possibility they're the same. But the ones at the beginning of the film had no problem going after Quill for a bite when he's more than a dozen times their size. The ones in the fight ring were more eager to get away from the larger one.

I think it'll have to until better images of the other ones come out. There's always a possibility they're the same. But the ones at the beginning of the film had no problem going after Quill for a bite when he's more than a dozen times their size. The ones in the fight ring were more eager to get away from the larger one.

Must have been bred in captivity. :lol

Quick update, the belt prototype is coming along nicely, a few adjustments to make. Leather colors are off because we used what was on hand.
Prototype Compare.jpg

Prototype Compare.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out my new Sony Drinkman!

20140905_004709.jpg

I shared more of these pics in the other thread, but I just thought I'd post this here for those that haven't seen. I had so much fun working on this one!

Yeah. There is enough room to fit an iphone inside too. So you get the look of the tape, but the playability of the MP3. I still need to add a few things like clear plastic for the window and a socket for the headphones.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back