The Definitive DC Extended Universe Batsuit Research Thread

Re: The Definitive BvS: Dawn Of Justice Batsuit Research Thread

Jawafive, I do have more photos with the cape in it, but nothing that is too clear. I'll post them later when I get home.

Brucebatman, yeah it looks like what you have is real. Not sure why someone would suggest that it's fake.

My best guess on how to create a screen accurate fabric is to 3D print the pattern onto fabric. Even on the original movie suit used by the studio, I bet you that they used 3D printing. I can't imagine that the entire outfit was made by hand. The lines, where there isn't texture, is too perfect to be made by hand. Maybe we can get together and pool up some money and get a 3D artist to recreate the pattern. It shouldn't be too hard. Although it looks like a lot to copy, all the artist has to do is replicate 5 or 6 slight variations of that pattern and use it on the entire suit.

Let me know if you guys might be interested in doing this. I'm in Los Angeles, where there's a lot of 3D artists that can do this, or we can use some of the 3D artists on this forum.

It seems to me like it's more complicated than just printing the raised black pattern, which I've seen done already here and elsewhere. There appears to be 2 level of raised patterns : first a thin layer of grey in uneven edge strips over a grey fabric, then over that the black raised "tire track" pattern. That I'd pay good money to see replicated.
pattern.png

It seems to me like it's more complicated than just printing the raised black pattern, which I've seen done already here and elsewhere. There appears to be 2 level of raised patterns : first a thin layer of grey in uneven edge strips over a grey fabric, then over that the black raised "tire track" pattern.

Teragon, you are absolutely right. Look at the pictures that I posted under post #413 and 414, it's very clear that there's 3 levels of texture. The first level is just the fabric, the 2nd layer is more silver/metallic grey. And the 3rd layer is the black tire tracks, which lies on top of the 2nd silver/metallic grey.

The most efficient way to replicate this is by color 3D printer, which definitely do exist. The 3D printer could print the 2nd layer in the appropriate silver/metallic grey, and it could also print the 3rd tire track layer in black.

Alternatively, you can print the 2nd layer and then hand paint it the silver/metallic grey, and then re-insert the fabric and print the last layer on top of it, and paint that last layer black, though, I don't know if that's the way 3D printers work (in which you can re-insert something textured for it to print on). This would be very time consuming, and I could see why they would say that the original suit cost $100,000 to make.

Decided to just delete what I said. That simple.

Last edited:

I'm confused. Is there any reason the easiest method isn't "take silver-metallic puffy paint and haphazardly poop it out into rows, then take black puffy paint and go over the silver with little slanted lines"? or has the conversation moved into "authentic replica" territory? :D

I'm confused. Is there any reason the easiest method isn't "take silver-metallic puffy paint and haphazardly poop it out into rows, then take black puffy paint and go over the silver with little slanted lines"? or has the conversation moved into "authentic replica" territory? :D

Due to the "definitive" nature of the thread, yes, authentic replica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean by authentic replica. The reason I want this fabric is because I think it looks awesome, so I want something that looks as much like it as possible, whether you call it an authentic replica or not.

If you look at the photos in post #413 and 414, you see that the pattern is very detailed. How would you "haphazardly poop" it out in rows? (haha by the way). It's not that haphazard, even though it looks messy, they are still straight rows.

One way I could think of is to cut painters or masking tape into long, thin strips, and then to tape off the straight lines and puff paint the space between in ways that result in the "messy" look

That statue looks so good.

Kidding. This looks like fabric with 2 levels of screen printing , just without the additional weathering that's on the screen used suits.

This looks like fabric with 2 levels of screen printing , just without the additional weathering that's on the screen used suits.

I don't know why I never thought about screen printing. I just jumped straight into the more complicated and expensive color 3D printing. But it could be as simple as getting someone to screen print it! Someone could probably screen print in different colors and in a raised pattern too! Thanks for the simple, but great, suggestion!

Not sure what you mean by authentic replica. The reason I want this fabric is because I think it looks awesome, so I want something that looks as much like it as possible, whether you call it an authentic replica or not.

If you look at the photos in post #413 and 414, you see that the pattern is very detailed. How would you "haphazardly poop" it out in rows? (haha by the way). It's not that haphazard, even though it looks messy, they are still straight rows.

The main reason for the question was the talk about 3D printing the texture. I knew Michael Wilkinson had talked about 3D printing Superman's little doodles, but nothing specific about how Batman's was made. It certainly looks like anything that could be done with puffy paint, or similar volume paint. So while it may not be the exact method that was used, it seems way more accessible, cheaper, and quicker to use puffy paint for a result that would look almost exactly the same.

One way I could think of is to cut painters or masking tape into long, thin strips, and then to tape off the straight lines and puff paint the space between in ways that result in the "messy" look

I was thinking this exactly. It gives you the freedom to put it on messily, while keeping the rows themselves neat.

caunyd: Thanks for sending those pics! I really appreicate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great idea. Got any suggestions on how to make the black raised tire tracks?

Here's a not-too-serious idea, take small pieces of raw rice and paint it black and glue it on, but that would be far too time consuming.

Great idea. Got any suggestions on how to make the black raised tire tracks?

Here's a not-too-serious idea, take small pieces of raw rice and paint it black and glue it on, but that would be far too time consuming.

After the grey dries, put black over it

Screen printing may be the answer to this fabric. You just need some slightly raised metallic silver paint and then screen print puffy black tire tracks over the silver. I’m just not sure if it’s possible to screen print the black over the silver metallic (we need to ask a good screen printing professional to see if it’s possible). Although that may not even be necessary. We can just screen print the metallic silver AROUND the black, this will still give the appearance that the black tire tracks lay on top of the silver. We then just need several sloppy variations of the same pattern (since the screen used suit is not uniform, but quite sloppy) and BOOM, we have our screen accurate DOJ Batman fabric.

This company seems to be able to do all of that kind of screen printing. Watch the video and then read about the different types of screen printing. Maybe I’ll email them or call them.

http://www.jakprints.com/screen-printing-effects/

Then the last thing we need to do is select a fabric that is the appropriate color and texture, so that we can print on. The fabric selection may be limited to the types of fabric that can be screen printed on. Obviously, the fabric should be appropriate to making a suit, in terms of how durable and stretchy it is. Maybe you guys can suggest specific fabrics.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back