'The City on the Edge of Forever' tricorder

PhuketAussie

Hello,

I'm considering making a tricorder to house my Raspberry Pi based Plex MediaServer. It has a 7.5x5cm LCD screen, which is bigger than a typical tricorder screen, except for this one:

P18_1_TricVideoDisplay.jpg

The 4.89" wide screen for The City on the Edge of Forever tricorder is just about the right size, but what I cannot find is technical drawings to reproduce this specific tricorder. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this please?

The image above is from this page: Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: Design Features of Screen Used TOS Tricorders (startrekpropauthority.com)

I'm not sure where those screen measurements came from but they are not correct... Certainly not in inches. The width between the two side aluminum pieces is around 4 inches. No TOS Tricorder had a 4 inch screen.

The various tricorders used throughout the series are all about the same size. Wah Chang, working for a company named Projects Unlimited, made the first two, from kydex and then it appears Desilu disassembled those trics and made molds so they could make copies. Those copies in the first two seasons were made from fiberglass... With the first fiberglass version appearing in the episode Arena.

In the third season 2 leatherette versions are introduced... Again apparently built by the studio... At this time now Paramount.

But again, as these trics were all sourced from Wah's first 2 props they are all about the same size.

Now the screens were all hand cut so there are some size differences but not by inches.

Last edited:
Yeah, ain't no Tric with a 4.89" width screen, the whole thing is barely that wide. Very roughly I eyeball the screens on mine at 1 15/16" at the widest.
I don't recall seeing any drawings taken from the screen used trics. You can get a DST, or maybe a Marco from Ebay to mod, unless you are just set on scratch building the whole thing.

Last edited:
And one other note...

The "Miri" Tricorder and the "City" Tricorder pictured are the same prop. So kinda odd that whoever put those measurements together got different results from the same prop. Clearly an error.

I'm not sure where those screen measurements came from but they are not correct... Certainly not in inches. The width between the two side aluminum pieces is around 4 inches. No TOS Tricorder had a 4 inch screen.

The various tricorders used throughout the series are all about the same size. Wah Chang, working for a company named Projects Unlimited, made the first two, from kydex and then it appears Desilu disassembled those trics and made molds so they could make copies. Those copies in the first two seasons were made from fiberglass... With the first fiberglass version appearing in the episode Arena.

In the third season 2 leatherette versions are introduced... Again apparently built by the studio... At this time now Paramount.

But again, as these trics were all sourced from Wah's first 2 props they are all about the same size.

Now the screens were all hand cut so there are some size differences but not by inches.
Thank you for clarifying :)

Yeah, ain't no Tric with a 4.89" width screen, the whole thing is barely that wide. Very roughly I eyeball the screens on mine at 1 15/16" at the widest.
I don't recall seeing any drawings taken from the screen used trics. You can get a DST, or maybe a Marco from Ebay to mod, unless you are just set on scratch building the whole thing.
Thank you for clarifying :)

Hello,

I'm considering making a tricorder to house my Raspberry Pi based Plex MediaServer. It has a 7.5x5cm LCD screen, which is bigger than a typical tricorder screen, except for this one:

View attachment 1371616
The 4.89" wide screen for The City on the Edge of Forever tricorder is just about the right size, but what I cannot find is technical drawings to reproduce this specific tricorder. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this please?

The image above is from this page: Star Trek Prop, Costume & Auction Authority: Design Features of Screen Used TOS Tricorders (startrekpropauthority.com)
Star fleet technical manual.

Attachments

• 24B94FFF-A962-4A5D-9C6E-2847678E8A3D.jpeg
    24B94FFF-A962-4A5D-9C6E-2847678E8A3D.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 170
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back