The Boys (Amazon Prime Video)

I will say I had one concern with the latest episode and its implications although it can be retconned.

Soldier Boy being Homelander's dad seemed a little off for me. It was established in earlier seasons that Supes were celebate, hence why Ryan's creation and birth was miraculous and why Ryan is a key person of interest to Vought as the first natural Supe. Although Homelander was probably a test tube baby with SB batter, he might be a more natural supe.

This could be retconned with the fact that SB used an earlier prototype of V to get his powers, retaining his ability to reproduce (kind of like the Captain America super serum being the best and not being able to be recreated). Although V-compound individuals lose their ability to reproduce, Homelander as a "natural supe" therefore retains his ability as does Ryan. Could also mean that Homelander being hit with SB's radiation blast might not remove his powers as they are innate to him vs the others powered by compound V which the radiation "burns out" to remove their powers.

Also surprised that Black Noir was so weak, or more that Solider Boy was so strong. Soldier Boy is weaker than Homelander based on episode 6 (and if the above theory is true, his radiation powers wont change that) but pre-buffed Soldier Boy was still able to solo his team, them basically requiring prep and a surprise attack to subdue him. Kind of shows how strong Homelander is in context
i hope not, but its a good theory you outlined as a ep7 spoiler.

I think you mean infertile rather than celibate.

Soldier Boy did state he fired into a cup, so there was a lot of scientific involvement there. Compared to Ryan that was conceived naturally
Yeah you are right. Not sure why celibate was in my head.

True but I thought his swimmers where sleeping on their shields rather than storming Normandy if you know what I mean.

Its OK dude, been a while for me too!!!
Now that I can admit I totally overlooked the difference in meaning…:)

Vought corporate must have a monkey‘s paw - it’s not just the science, but the sorcery behind the scenes that makes me cringe. They couldn’t even let the runner die clean, but a contract is a contract…I was laughing at 3am at ‘the good news’, I can see the actor doing comedy at some point on another project

Last edited:
The way everyone is afraid and tiptoes around Homelander makes me think of the old Twilight Zone episode "Its A Good Life" with Billy Mumy as a six year old boy who can read minds and create reality on a whim. Best Twilight Zone episode ever!
1656913734861.png

The way everyone is afraid and tiptoes around Homelander makes me think of the old Twilight Zone episode "Its A Good Life" with Billy Mumy as a six year old boy who can read minds and create reality on a whim. Best Twilight Zone episode ever!
View attachment 1594723

Well homelander is an unstable petulant 8 year old with golden age superman powers in a world without Lex Luthor or Bruce Wayne.

Vought should have taken a page out of Robot Chicken.

Side note from watching the show and having read the comics:
I question just how much farther they can take the storyline, given where they are currently. I could see this show having maybe 1, at most 2 more seasons, and then it's time to wrap it up.

Side note from watching the show and having read the comics:
I question just how much farther they can take the storyline, given where they are currently. I could see this show having maybe 1, at most 2 more seasons, and then it's time to wrap it up.
It depends on pacing and how successful the show is overall imo but the story has already diverged from the comics quite a bit and they could continue the story "after the end."

Depends on how this upcoming last episode of this season plays out but they could add at least 2 or 3 seasons. This is also headed by the writer of Supernatural who was able to extend that series into 14 seasons which started from two brothers look for their dad to take down a demon that killed their mom to those two brothers try to kill God.

It depends on pacing and how successful the show is overall imo but the story has already diverged from the comics quite a bit and they could continue the story "after the end."

Depends on how this upcoming last episode of this season plays out but they could add at least 2 or 3 seasons. This is also headed by the writer of Supernatural who was able to extend that series into 14 seasons which started from two brothers look for their dad to take down a demon that killed their mom to those two brothers try to kill God.
Don't forget they both died too.

Multiple times!!!

Damn, this episode is fire. I literally shouted wtf.

did not expect Dark Noir to die there. Was expecting a showdown teamup between Soldier Boy and Homelander/Noir, something like Homelander and Soldier Boy talking and Noir striking from behind again. Loved Maeve’s character development and her happy ending. She got her wish.

Ryan was a big surprise and wonder how he will turn out. Deep is in bog trouble with his octo lovin and some falsities going to be revealed in another Gossip Girl expose.

I guess the theory that the Boys might only have a season or two left might be right given that Butcher is on borrowed time. I could be wrong since Soldier Boy has effectively been out in a freezer and could be released again in the future. Im also honestly not sure how the Boys are glong to bear Homelander. A trained and converted Ryan? Trained Starlight with other supes team up? (Maeve solo put up a good fight). Put Homelander to sleep? Homelander is more “free” now that he realizes he can get away with lasering a “liberal” and retaining his fanbase

I'm not reading this yet because I just started the first couple episodes. I have to say that Episode I might have been the most F'd up thing I've seen so far on TV. :lol:
Yeah, that first episode really shocked me when I first saw it. The best thing about this show is that it seldom;y if ever pulls its punches. Even in this current season, the show continues to push the limits of what a streaming service is willing to allow and while it's extreme, I never feel like it's gratuitous and simply violence, gore, and just wrongness simply for the sake of it. It's always in service of the plot to show just how crass and callous these supes really are.

There are two things this series does extremely well. One, it skewers both sides of the political spectrum with hilarious accuracy and two, it manages to offer a glimpse into the reality of celebrity culture and exposing the frailty of the human condition, namely the total love of self above all else.

That said, this season is really starting to lose me. While it's upped the gore factor and offered up what is easily some of the most disturbing imagery I've seen in a show, it's really wearing thin because those two things aren't being utilized in the darkly humorous ways it was in the previous two seasons, but rather for shock factor alone. Given how bleak and nihilistic the material, you have to offset some of that darkness with levity, even if some of the gore is played for sick jokes. It's one of the few things about this show that's kept it from being a slog to watch and if I'm being honest there are times this go around where I have to make a concerted effort to pay close attention.

What really stands out to me is how homogenized all the characters have become. They're all decending into Butcher's mindset. Bleak, nihilistic, jaded, spiteful, and hellbent on revenge, no matter the moral cost or the bodycount. That used to be Butcher's character to a tee, with that tiny flicker of hope that perhaps there might be a spark of decency left in him. Now every character is filled with those same qualities. That sensibility has to be tempered with diverse motivations in order to stay fresh. It also doesn't help that some characters that should have died, didn't, which would have given motivation for the remaining ones to do and be, better. Each one of them has gone down into the mire with the attitude of "whatever it takes" to kill Homelander.

It's exhausting. Even the most optimistic of them, Starlight, Huey, and MM have all become jaded and hopeless to varying degrees. When Kimiko is hospitalized there was a while where I thought perhaps she and Frenchie might be able to go live their lives in peace, but instead they came back to the same place, only demanding some respect from Butcher. That's not exactly character growth. For a brief moment they tried to escape their pasts but then embraced their worst qualities instead of trying to rise above them. Idk. It's hard to feel a lot of empathy for a couple who murders people (even if those they kill deserve to be taken out) when they continue to sink to Butcher's level. It's as if they want his blessing to be treated as equals and somehow think they're morally superior to him despite doing a lot of the same things? The righteous indignation the group aspouses to Butcher feels incredibly hollow when they all cop to his methods in the end.

Even MM's ex wife, while on the surface it seems supportive to give her blessing as it were, for him to deal with Soldier Boy, it's equally terrible advice because she's openly supporting him potentially getting killed and leaving their daughter fatherless. If we've learned anything too, MM is the only one who's aware that his ex wife's new boyfriend is a sychophantic Homelander supporter who's trying to brainwash his little girl into the propaganda that Vought creates. It seems that dealing with Homelander is the right move for MM, but is it really when his death could potentially cause his daughter to follow her father's path for revenge?

I understand that this element is built into the show, but the premise is revealing structural fractures. It's goal is now stop evil, no matter the cost, even if it means perpetuating, or becoming evil in the process. It's about survival and not about doing good. Animals survive, but humans need hope to carry on the face of evil. The one thing stories like this never seem to consider is that some people in a situation like that might actually choose to forgive and leave, living their lives in relative peace. I know this can't be the case for every character because the story needs conflict resolution, but it would be refreshing to see at least one of them to choose to let it go and how that might affect those who choose to remain.

When the material you've got is so bleak, you've got to have some glimmer of hope. The world feels hopeless enough and if there's nothing more than death and destruction in the stories we watch, it gets tiresome.

There are two things this series does extremely well. One, it skewers both sides of the political spectrum with hilarious accuracy and two, it manages to offer a glimpse into the reality of celebrity culture and exposing the frailty of the human condition, namely the total love of self above all else.

That said, this season is really starting to lose me. While it's upped the gore factor and offered up what is easily some of the most disturbing imagery I've seen in a show, it's really wearing thin because those two things aren't being utilized in the darkly humorous ways it was in the previous two seasons, but rather for shock factor alone. Given how bleak and nihilistic the material, you have to offset some of that darkness with levity, even if some of the gore is played for sick jokes. It's one of the few things about this show that's kept it from being a slog to watch and if I'm being honest there are times this go around where I have to make a concerted effort to pay close attention.

What really stands out to me is how homogenized all the characters have become. They're all decending into Butcher's mindset. Bleak, nihilistic, jaded, spiteful, and hellbent on revenge, no matter the moral cost or the bodycount. That used to be Butcher's character to a tee, with that tiny flicker of hope that perhaps there might be a spark of decency left in him. Now every character is filled with those same qualities. That sensibility has to be tempered with diverse motivations in order to stay fresh. It also doesn't help that some characters that should have died, didn't, which would have given motivation for the remaining ones to do and be, better. Each one of them has gone down into the mire with the attitude of "whatever it takes" to kill Homelander.

It's exhausting. Even the most optimistic of them, Starlight, Huey, and MM have all become jaded and hopeless to varying degrees. When Kimiko is hospitalized there was a while where I thought perhaps she and Frenchie might be able to go live their lives in peace, but instead they came back to the same place, only demanding some respect from Butcher. That's not exactly character growth. For a brief moment they tried to escape their pasts but then embraced their worst qualities instead of trying to rise above them. Idk. It's hard to feel a lot of empathy for a couple who murders people (even if those they kill deserve to be taken out) when they continue to sink to Butcher's level. It's as if they want his blessing to be treated as equals and somehow think they're morally superior to him despite doing a lot of the same things? The righteous indignation the group aspouses to Butcher feels incredibly hollow when they all cop to his methods in the end.

Even MM's ex wife, while on the surface it seems supportive to give her blessing as it were, for him to deal with Soldier Boy, it's equally terrible advice because she's openly supporting him potentially getting killed and leaving their daughter fatherless. If we've learned anything too, MM is the only one who's aware that his ex wife's new boyfriend is a sychophantic Homelander supporter who's trying to brainwash his little girl into the propaganda that Vought creates. It seems that dealing with Homelander is the right move for MM, but is it really when his death could potentially cause his daughter to follow her father's path for revenge?

I understand that this element is built into the show, but the premise is revealing structural fractures. It's goal is now stop evil, no matter the cost, even if it means perpetuating, or becoming evil in the process. It's about survival and not about doing good. Animals survive, but humans need hope to carry on the face of evil. The one thing stories like this never seem to consider is that some people in a situation like that might actually choose to forgive and leave, living their lives in relative peace. I know this can't be the case for every character because the story needs conflict resolution, but it would be refreshing to see at least one of them to choose to let it go and how that might affect those who choose to remain.

When the material you've got is so bleak, you've got to have some glimmer of hope. The world feels hopeless enough and if there's nothing more than death and destruction in the stories we watch, it gets tiresome.
I get it, just when you think there is potential hope for some of the characters, their arc is either not over (or heading the way some of think it should) or taken away.

In the episode before this, I changed the end credits song in my head to The Specials “A Message to You, Rudy” - was hoping Hughie would make it in the next ep, was rooting for him.

And I like the actor playing MM, the character knows he’s messed up, he’s trying at least from what I saw.

Just glad I don’t work for Vought, nor live in that version of the city. That’s one scary place, no matter which city the supes are assigned to.

I'm enjoying the show overall and I care about the characters but I do hope this is the low point for them and things will start to look at least somewhat brighter as things progress. If it stays too long at this point it might be really tough to finish it. I also hope they don't drag the series on for another 4 seasons either.

I dunno. I think Hughie's trajectory is leaning towards the "forgive and walk away" direction. Starlight's impact on him seems to very much be about doing good, rather than just defeating evil. Given the option, if Homelander and Vought are defeated or at least contained, those two may be content to just say "Good enough" and call it quits.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back