The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I didn't see it above, but yesterday I visited The Museum Of Hollywood in Los Angeles and they had a room full of costumes from various films from the 1920s through 2020s.

When I saw this I thought of the RPF. Is this is one of The Dude's costumes? I wonder what the provenance is. Given that they have tons of film costumes from many famous movies from the 1930s etc I would think it would be authentic.

I didn't take a photo of the sandals but they were odd it that they looked completely new, that is, they hadn't been aged/distressed.

g47skk5.jpg

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I didn't see it above, but yesterday I visited The Museum Of Hollywood in Los Angeles and they had a room full of costumes from various films from the 1920s through 2020s.

When I saw this I thought of the RPF. Is this is one of The Dude's costumes? I wonder what the provenance is. Given that they have tons of film costumes from many famous movies from the 1930s etc I would think it would be authentic.

I didn't take a photo of the sandals but they were odd it that they looked completely new, that is, they hadn't been aged/distressed.

View attachment 1589156
It could be. I have The Beast from The Sandlot on loan there and I’ve yet to visit it. My goal is to get there in the next few months because the Back to the Future exhibit will be gone by the end of the year. I can ask when I’m there.

Hey dudes! Just wanted to share my collection with you... because.. you know... yeah

My main costume consists of the Colores del Pueblo pants, the new edition of the real Pendleton and real vintage Otomix shoes. The T-shirt is way too dark and bluish (looks worse on photos!). Need to fade it or get a more accurate one. I've also got a few pieces for the other iconic costumes. The official release bathrobe and a passable mint green hoodie. Having some trouble finding accurate shorts.... more searching required! Actually I also have the gel sandals in the mail, but USPS is moving REALLY slowly overseas due to Covid-19. Hopefully they'll get here eventually! Also included a shot of my props: Real vintage Folgers can, original Vuarnet sunglasses, accurate vintage books, modded working beeper, working vintage Sony walkman, cassette tapes, Ralphs Value Club Card and various paper props :cool:

View attachment 1302960
View attachment 1302961
View attachment 1302962

Dude, where did you find the Otomix?

So looking at these pics it makes me think Jeff Bridges had this shirt recreated himself. The collar sits higher and possibly thicker in his Lebowski pics versus the Fisher King pics. Plus the fact that it seems almost blue in the other pics but possibly an overall brown tone in Lebowski (yes I know colors are tough with movies). Thoughts Dudes?
Wouldn't they have to make a bunch of copies for any lead character wardrobe?

Wouldn't they have to make a bunch of copies for any lead character wardrobe?
Maybe. Bridges could have shown them the shirt and they just made copies instead of him wearing his personal one.
The description I always heard was much of the dude's clothes came from Bridge's own closet including the sweater. Maybe they made replicas of some.
If that's so.... it would mean any replicas we have are technically screen accurate as even the Dude's was a replica.
I suppose the line between The Dude and Jeff Bridges is very blurred, which is one thing I love about the character and the actor.

Hey there, fellow Dudes, Dudettes, and Duderinos! I've got something far out to offer: my entire screen-accurate Lebowski "Ralph's" costume!

I put in a ton of effort to make it super authentic, meticulously dyeing the robe, shorts, and t-shirt to match the colors from a photo of the actual costume worn in the film.

lebowski-set-1-jpg.jpg

To sweeten the deal, I'm throwing in a pair of AUTHENTIC vintage 80s Vuarnet 003 model sunglasses in brown that have are super close to the movie version, with only a slight variation in frame material and lens color.

I've also got a pair of Okabashi sandals that closely resemble the leather ones the Dude rocked in the opening scene. They really tie the whole costume together.

And finally - this is a freebie for everyone: I designed this little Half & Half carton several years back that you can print out and fold together like pepkura. For my actual costume, I ended up just printing the graphics on adhesive backed printer paper and stuck each panel to an existing carton I had at home, in any case the files are here: Carton Layout Print.psd

This costume was crafted with love, and I'd be thrilled to see it find a new home where it can be worn to festivals and cons for years to come. Interested in purchasing it? It fits great on me—I'm 6'2" and about 250lbs, just a tad loose but not baggy. Let's keep the Lebowski spirit alive!

(Photos attached - 1: Costume by itself, 2: Me w/ Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega on Halloween, for scale and to show how it looks worn, 3: Detail shot of the 1980s Vuarnet 003 glasses)

Attachments

• lebowski-set-1.jpg
    lebowski-set-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 10.18.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 10.18.29 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5989.jpeg
    IMG_5989.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Almost done with my Gutterballs outfit. As mentioned, I wasn't going screen accurate with all of it, but I was surprised to see (after the fact) that it looks like he is wearing a Klein tool pouch, much like the one I bought -- or at least close enough that even costume purists would need close inspection to tell the difference.

As mentioned, I'm faking the shoes just to fit the design of the ones I bought instead of going for screen accurate. Now that I've used leather paint, I'm a bit more confident in my skills and how it works. I'm going to look around for a vintage pair of bowling shoes closer to the movie version to do later down the road. I'll likely also paint on the size numbers rather than the vinyl stickers once I know what the size should be from the movie. I originally had my size of 11 on there, but the two 1s looked more like an artistic design rather than 11 so i opted for 10 so that it stands out more as a shoe size.

The tools are almost all plastic kids' toys, with the exception of the hammers (one is foam, the other is plastic), the safety goggles, and the measuring tape. I paid all of $20 for three packs of 6" tools, plus whatever it was for the toy drill. Painting and weathering added to all of the plastic tools except the drill and the three various pliers. The hammers had some weathering and touch-up paint added.

View media item 51956
View media item 51957
View media item 51950
The toolbelt is from Action Work Products or Action Leathercraft. Drill holster A-410-2; hammer hanger A-739-6; pouch A-500.

The coverall is indeed Red Kap.
Almost done with my Gutterballs outfit. As mentioned, I wasn't going screen accurate with all of it, but I was surprised to see (after the fact) that it looks like he is wearing a Klein tool pouch, much like the one I bought -- or at least close enough that even costume purists would need close inspection to tell the difference.

As mentioned, I'm faking the shoes just to fit the design of the ones I bought instead of going for screen accurate. Now that I've used leather paint, I'm a bit more confident in my skills and how it works. I'm going to look around for a vintage pair of bowling shoes closer to the movie version to do later down the road. I'll likely also paint on the size numbers rather than the vinyl stickers once I know what the size should be from the movie. I originally had my size of 11 on there, but the two 1s looked more like an artistic design rather than 11 so i opted for 10 so that it stands out more as a shoe size.

The tools are almost all plastic kids' toys, with the exception of the hammers (one is foam, the other is plastic), the safety goggles, and the measuring tape. I paid all of $20 for three packs of 6" tools, plus whatever it was for the toy drill. Painting and weathering added to all of the plastic tools except the drill and the three various pliers. The hammers had some weathering and touch-up paint added.

View media item 51956
View media item 51957
View media item 51950
The toolbelt is from Action Work Products or Action Leathercraft. Drill holster A-410-2; hammer hanger A-739-6; pouch A-500.

propstoreauction.com/lot-details/index/catalog/347/lot/112746?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F347%3Fpage%3D3

The coverall is indeed Red Kap.

jjulienslive.com/lot-details/index/catalog/36/lot/11021

Hey there, fellow Dudes, Dudettes, and Duderinos! I've got something far out to offer: my entire screen-accurate Lebowski "Ralph's" costume!

I put in a ton of effort to make it super authentic, meticulously dyeing the robe, shorts, and t-shirt to match the colors from a photo of the actual costume worn in the film.

View attachment 1715363

To sweeten the deal, I'm throwing in a pair of AUTHENTIC vintage 80s Vuarnet 003 model sunglasses in brown that have are super close to the movie version, with only a slight variation in frame material and lens color.

I've also got a pair of Okabashi sandals that closely resemble the leather ones the Dude rocked in the opening scene. They really tie the whole costume together.

And finally - this is a freebie for everyone: I designed this little Half & Half carton several years back that you can print out and fold together like pepkura. For my actual costume, I ended up just printing the graphics on adhesive backed printer paper and stuck each panel to an existing carton I had at home, in any case the files are here: Carton Layout Print.psd

This costume was crafted with love, and I'd be thrilled to see it find a new home where it can be worn to festivals and cons for years to come. Interested in purchasing it? It fits great on me—I'm 6'2" and about 250lbs, just a tad loose but not baggy. Let's keep the Lebowski spirit alive!

(Photos attached - 1: Costume by itself, 2: Me w/ Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega on Halloween, for scale and to show how it looks worn, 3: Detail shot of the 1980s Vuarnet 003 glasses)
I would definitely be interested if you wanna discuss the dineros’ duderino!

View attachment 1715363

what robe is that?

Dudes,
I present to you the “other” pants of the Dude, also known as the Dude’s bowling pants.
As far as I know, the actual design brand of these pants has not been identified.

Through collaboration, the pattern has been recreated using images from the movie and this design has been uploaded to Printify for production. Far out!

For those of you interested in expanding your Dude wardrobe, here is the link:

Size small through 2XL. Note the pants have a drawstring and no pockets. I’m 6’ tall and wearing an XL in the photo. So they’re a little baggier than the on screen version.
Additional options/sizes may become available over time. I will let you know.

Attachments

• AA45CE97-56A6-456F-9775-AAA05FBF5E68.jpeg
    AA45CE97-56A6-456F-9775-AAA05FBF5E68.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
  • F1815A64-7E13-4B17-ADBA-7A1B02EF78C9.jpeg
    F1815A64-7E13-4B17-ADBA-7A1B02EF78C9.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 63
  • CDA58CA1-15CD-4DBB-AE90-58001E009412.jpeg
    CDA58CA1-15CD-4DBB-AE90-58001E009412.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 7EF946E2-AC70-47C0-84A0-6C21A12C96D5.jpeg
    7EF946E2-AC70-47C0-84A0-6C21A12C96D5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • C467F131-2695-4945-BBD7-A568C20AA33A.jpeg
    C467F131-2695-4945-BBD7-A568C20AA33A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
Couldn't believe it, but found the real vintage Westerley at Goodwill for $40. Weirdly they labeled it as the Westerley but priced it kind of high but nowhere near its actual value. It's pristine. Just need a pairt of real Otomix, but not holding my breath. I have until next Halloween to find them lol.

Couldn't believe it, but found the real vintage Westerley at Goodwill for $40. Weirdly they labeled it as the Westerley but priced it kind of high but nowhere near its actual value. It's pristine. Just need a pairt of real Otomix, but not holding my breath. I have until next Halloween to find them lol.
As someone that’s paid near full price for a Westerley, I’m about as jelly as the dudes sandals.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back