THE Batman Cowl Sculpt (and more)---NEW PIX PG 2!

BatTexan

I've been talking to Bruce Cameron (brulafu on the BOTB) about this project for several months, and finally got going on it. His goal is to recreate the look of The Batman from the animated series (2004-2008):

TheBatman.jpeg

I'm working on two aspects of this costume for him: the cowl, and the claws & gauntlets.

First, the cowl sculpt as it is today:

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

That wonderful chin is part of this as well, but I'll get into that in another post later.

For the claws/gauntlets, I'll be using my comic-style gauntlets with Begins fins, and then I'm sculpting claws to go with them. Here's the concept:
clawconceptwgauntlets.jpg

And here's the first claw sculpt in progress:
IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

The claws will be cast in urethane, and will go over the glove. Still trying to work out the best way to do it, but you get the idea.

I'm not getting in a big hurry with this, as Bruce is in no hurry. I believe he's making his own dye-sub suit, and looking at a muscle suit from Flex Design. Bob Kieffer is doing the cape. Based on what we've talked about, I think this is going to be a seriously cool suit!

Last edited:
Re: THE Batman Cowl Sculpt (and more)---WIP

Hey!

I've been blown away with these pics, from the initial drawing to even these WIP sculpts, I'm really excited about the project.

If I can hijack this for a few threads (that ok Tom) to let you know what my plans are. Ill start a new thread to show all pieces of the costume once I get everything together.

I'm of the age where as a young adult who watched Saturday morning cartoons, I absolutely fell for the Animated Series. The way it was drawn, the stories, I just couldn't miss it. So I thought, I've not seen an animated style suit out in the wild and wanted to do it, but wanted to do it so that when wearing it, people know exactly which batman I am.

Well, as you have seen Tom has/is doing a unbelievable job with the mask and clawsl, he'll also be doing the gauntlets and fins.

I have printed a dye sub suit in just plain grey with blue arms and gloves built in. However I had a brain wave and that suit isn't going to be suitable (so that will be up for sale if anyone wants it PM me). Ill come back to my alternative later.

Cape will be a Bob Kieffer cape (he doesn't know it, but if he reads this, then Bob, ill need a cape sometime from you).

Chest emblem and belt is from Laban at 4th Wall. Although withy brainwave, ill need a bigger belt. So the one I have will probably be up for sale.

7BB20433-56BD-463A-A3EF-95632F541E08-7783-0000036B922537F0.jpg

Boots are from the fantastic Keith Howard.

DDA5F0B3-DC0E-4588-8335-2FF4FA4E389E-7783-00000364B220C08E.jpg

Now....the suit itself.

I've decided to emulate the animated look

85ACCE46-ADE3-4A6D-8B5E-536B0C3D7281-7783-00000364C025DF4D.jpg

By speaking to the guys at Flexdesigns and going for a combination of super sized up top and standard below minus the calls (the reason is that I had the muscle suit brainwave AFTER I commissioned the boots from Keith, so any bigger and the boots won't fit).

I then will draft out and make a rough dye sub 2 piece suit (I currently have one coming in for someone else and ill create a post for that too). Mark onto the plain Lycra where the muscles are and do a light grey suit with highlighted and shadowed areas based on the cartoon.

The kicker in all this is that I will have an optional chin from Tom that I can wear, how practical it'll be, I don't know, but if I can pull off the look of a lifesize Animated batman (a huge toy to speak, ill be a happy man).

More posts to follow.

You are doing great! If you wanted to you could make a resin bust and that.

Are you going to add white lenses? I think that would really help sell the animated look.

Last edited:

You are doing great! If you wanted to you could make a resin bust and that.

Are you going to add white lenses? I think that would really help sell the animated look.

The plan is to add white lenses but I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make them light up (ala iron man style - it might not be possible, but ill play with different options and see what happens)

This looks fantastic!
Are you going to be doing that amazing chin as a silicone or latex prosthetic?

This looks fantastic!
Are you going to be doing that amazing chin as a silicone or latex prosthetic?

Im not 100% sure, I think Tom is just going to do it latex initially but I may sometime down the line, get one that I will be able to talk with.

I think this chin will be great for photoshoots and appearances but for cons etc, Im thinking one that will move with my own chin will make a difference.

Tom can confirm or deny this.

Great sculpt! Looks just like the character. I've always liked The Batman design.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments on the sculpts! Like Bruce mentioned, I'll be casting a separate reusable mouth/chin piece to go with the cowl, to complete The Batman look. He'll be able to remove it to eat and drink, or if he just gets tired of wearing it---then he can easily slip it back on for photos, etc. I did a crude test using one of my other cowls, and it worked fine. And then for extra special occasions, he has the option of having a nice silicone prosthetic chin made that could be made to look more realistic.

Re: THE Batman Cowl Sculpt (and more)---Cowl Sculpt DONE!

Wow, I really dropped the ball on updates with this! Finally finished the cowl sculpt:

IMG_1280_zps23e75d63.jpg

IMG_1275_zps2d20fcfd.jpg

IMG_1276_zps2001d2a7.jpg

IMG_1278_zps4312bc19.jpg

I'm planning to get it molded in the next week or two, so hopefully it won't be too much longer before we have the first pull.

Now that this sculpt is done, I'll take the claw sculpt off the backburner and get going on it again.

Incredible! I love love LOVE that you are breaking the mold (pardon the pun) and going for the animated look, over TDK that has become so "standard".

Superb sculpt, and as others have said, the claw sculpt is a fantastic idea!

Thanks guys!

Scoots3567, I really do prefer doing non-movie related stuff. While I admire and appreciate screen accurate costumes, I prefer to work on versions based on the comics---or in this case, an animated version.

I'm really looking forward to getting this done. You're work Tom, is stunning.
I was inbetween two minds whether to go blue or black so had GraphicJordan do me a mock up of the colours and plumped for the blue.

It will be darker than this and I think I will add white lenses. Need to figure out what material to use. Any ideas ?

63A86D03-2F72-4AE2-A49F-AABA4FFFB12C-1696-000000FEF768B8D8_zps3730395e.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back