The Amazing Spider-Man PS4 Suit Cosplay Suit (FIRST SUIT EVER!)

mahesh114

----PRICE LIST (As Of 26/03/2021)----

Suit: (Was £29.99, with discount= £16.41)
Puff Paint: £21 (x3 Puffy Paint Bottles)
Fillers: £1
Clips: £1.90
Homecoming Webshooters: £4
PS4 3D Printed Webshooters: FREE
Face shell: FREE
Red Spray paint: £6
Yellow Kitchen gloves: £1
Velcro Pads: £1
"Balenciaga" Shoes: £11
Neodymium Magnets (100 Pack): £2.99
Silicone (2 part mixture): FREE (Arrived Damaged otherwise £39.99)
Silicone Dyes: £11.99
PC Dust Filters: £2.99
Binder Clear Plastic (25 Pack) £6.99

Total: £88.27
Sunk Costs:
Velcro, Red Spray Paint, Yellow Kitchen Gloves (£8)
Spread Costs (Items useable in other suits): Fillers, Clips, Red Paint, Shoes, Magnets, Silicone, Silicone Dye, Webshooters, Faceshell, Pc Dust Filters, Binder Clear Plastic (£43.96)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey All,
I made a thread around 4 YEARS AGO where I first started getting into Spidey Cosplay! Life got in the way and I pretty much forgot about it until this year when I decided I'd commit and go through with a full suit. I'm attending Comic-Con London May 26th 2019 so I've been focusing more on working out, but I ended up getting a PS4 Spider-man Suit from Wish. (Not the best place but I didn't have enough time to get a custom suit tailored). Below are the first try fittings:

First-Test-2.jpg
First-Test.jpg

The suit definitely has a few issues that I need to work out:
  • Face pinches when worn, Not sure if a face-shell will fix this but as you see here when i pinch it back it looks better!
    Second-Test-Pinch-Fix.jpg
  • I want to make the mask detachable, not sure how I will go about this but its definitely on the list.
  • Puff painting is definitely harder than I thought. I thought puff painting the white symbol would work like this:
    Puff-Paint-Symbol-1st-Coat.jpg

But now I realise I've ruined it :( I did a 2nd coat to try and smooth things out but I'm still not sure what to do, ANYONE KNOW?!
    Puff-Paint-symbol-2nd-coat.jpg

The black puff painting has gone swell as seen here:

Puff-Paint-Sides.jpg
Puff-Paint-Waist.jpg

Im aiming to do all the big parts/webs first then go back and do the fine patterns afterwards.

I will add to this thread with the progress I make, I'm aiming to finish it all before may 26th but right now the white symbols are taking the longest. Lets see where this goes :)

EDIT (03/05/2019): I found a video on YouTube (
) which showed a method of spreading puff paint smoother. After attempting this on the back spider, I can say it works!

I used an A3 plastic folder as the template, it was sturdy but thin enough to use as a screen print layer. I masked off all the areas around the spider to prevent the puff paint from getting on there. I did 3 layers on the bottom legs, 3 on the top and I aim to do the body next.

20190429-210755.jpg
20190429-210759.jpg

IMG-20190428-WA0008.jpg

I also painted the thigh areas and did half of the arms and head. Will do the other half once back is done completely.

IMG-20190426-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20190426-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190428-WA0000.jpg

EDIT (05/05/2019): I did the final 2 coats in the middle (had multiple problems getting it smooth). Did a final coat on the legs and removed all masking tape. Safe to say it did 80% of its job. The pictures below show the fresh coat of black puff paint relining the edges and the spider looks 80% done. This definitely turned out better than the front!

759b69f3-6ccc-41cf-b134-63a7e69b2aae.jpg

LEFT: Edges repainted
RIGHT: Unpainted raw edges
b919c3f0-8004-4723-ad6a-b75503160a7b.jpg

Half of the spider has the edges repainted, the other half is the raw edge.
cf9457e5-c085-4075-98d7-8f20663e3a83.jpg

Final product. Few areas need touch-ups but other than that, this spreading method definitely works better! Next is arms and face!
flip generator

EDIT (07/05/2019): The back is officially "finished" (I need to touch up a few spots) but the majority is done!

back-middle.jpg
back-middle2.jpg

Here you can see some paint fell into the zip line, it was an easy fix by pulling it off!

I then proceeded to work on the eyes. I wanted to remove the lenses but theyre glued on too much and could rip the fabric. I decided to fold back the material as it was badly cut.

eye-pinch-fix.jpg

The eye on the right was the original cut. The eye on the left is after I pinched back the material and glued it down.

both-eyes-fixed.jpg

Both eyes have been pinched back and I would honestly say my vision is now 70% better than before.

I wanted to purchase a faceshell, but after realising I wouldnt have enough time to get one before Comic-Con, I decided to dig my old DIY one and reuse it. I had made it from a Pepakura file (YouTube it!) and reinforce it with Superglue, Wallfiller and Tape. Since I made this 3 years ago it had hardened overtime. To reinforce it and smoothen it I covered it with Unibond tape and that did the trick. I drilled a few vent holes for air circulation and thats probably going to be all for now. In my next build I will buy a proper faceshell.

faceshell.jpg
Faceshell-2.jpg

The form is pretty well rounded, but putting it on under the suit is difficult as the eyes dont match with the faceshell eyes unless I pull hard. I'll have to come back to this later on.

SUIT TEST 1:
Suit-Test-FIXED.png

Trying the suit on for the first time since doing all of this it felt surreal. The puffpaint really adds a sense of depth to the suit. Once all is done I will steam iron the suit to activate the paint to rise.

I have started doing hands. Truthfully doing the arms and hands has proven difficult as it is smaller and harder to paint with the fabric stretched out. The tackle this, I bought some cheap rubber gloves, filled it with rice and put that inside the suit to fill it up as if hand was in there. This has worked so far as I managed to do half of the hands:
Hands.jpg

EDIT (10/05/2019):

I took a day off since I ran out of paint! Once the new paint arrived I did the outlines of the ankle/feet areas. Since I'm going to wear trainers I didn't want to spend too much time in this area, but should i ever add soles to this suit at-least the paintings done.
Ankle-Feet-Paint.jpg

I decided to take a shot in the dark and order this silicon mouthshell from Wish. The faceshell I currently have is great but rather tight so this mouthshell is more of an experiment!
faceshell-half.png
faceshell-main.png

When it comes to the webshoooters, the PS4 and TASM2 webshooters are quite similar. Shapeways was working out rather expensive and Im running out of time so I impulse-bought these homecoming rubber webshooters that most people have used for cosplay. They wrap around the arm and do the job!

Webshooters.jpg

Truthfully I have made a few painting errors over the suit, most noticeably the webbing between the eyes. This is quite demotivating as it becomes noticeable so for now ill continue painting then come back to the errors at the end and figure out how to fix them.

EDIT (15/05/2019): The suit painting is done! I finished the bulk of it on the 12th and since then have been touching up parts that need repainting. The heels were painted and i decided to just trim the white rather than painting it full:

heel.jpg

I finished off the neck and shoulder pieces that I couldnt reach whilst doing the other parts of the suit:

neck-shoulders.jpg
Neck.jpg

One particular issue is the seams on this suit. Since painting it ive noticed that the seams are more noticeable. I was tempted to paint over it but theres a possibility the suit wont stretch then. Additionally the eyes still pinch. I'll come back to these issues later:

neck-seam-issue.jpg

Neck seams are visible.

eye-pinch-issue.jpg

Eyes still pinch. This picture is of me holding them down to where they SHOULD BE.

SHOES: I started on the soles. I wrote earlier in this thread that I would wear trainers but I wanted to keep it as truthful as possible so I sacrificed my old trainer and trimmed the tops of leaving the sole and bottom.
shoe-bottom-unpainted.jpg
shoe-top-cut.jpg

shoe-upright.jpg

The PS4 shoes look like this:

marvel-s-spider-man-advanced-suit-1135705.jpg

Whilst they are suitable for the game, I personally dont like the blocky look. For my soles I will paint the bottom white, the side and uppers black, then paint the bottom red (masking off the tracklines and sole cushions) so that the inners are white and the rest is white. Below is the white coat:

shoes-white.jpg

EDIT (20/05/2019):

Since I last updated this thread, A LOT has happened with the suit. To begin with, I finished painting the white parts, but this time did the outlines as I didnt want to fill in the arms.

Here are both hands painted (Trim Lined):
both-hands-painted.jpg

Each hand looks like this:
hand-painted.jpg

I think went ahead and steamed the suit to "raise" the paint. Truthfully It didnt do an awful lot, I followed the instructions on the paint bottle and passed over the suit 2-3times steaming it but it didnt raise a lot.
suit-steam.jpg

From here, I focused on trim lines. I painted the arm and leg trim lines, which is personally my favourite piece, it really adds depth to the blue:

Spider-Man PS4 Arm Trim Lines

The leg trim lines are as follows:
Leg-Trim-Lines.jpg

Lastly, I needed to prep the webshooters. When they arrived I realised that the hand trigger was flopping around and I wanted it to be on the suit. The basic webshooters are as follows:

webshooters-no-suit.jpg

To get the hand triggers to stay on the suit, I bought £1 velcro pads, cut to size and stuck 1 side on the webshooters and the other on the hand. That way it stayed down:

open-hand.jpg
spidey-hand.jpg

fist.jpg

The suit is now OFFICIALLY FINISHED! Well, I still need to do the shoes but I will update the thread once its done. I have 7 days left till CC so the clock is ticking!

EDIT (28/05/2019): Comic-Con is over! I attended the Saturday MCM event and here are the following pictures of the suit in action!:

Spidey-Selfie.png

Uncle-Ben-Standing.png
Water-Me.png

Me-and-Black-Panther.png

Truthfully, this Comic-Con wasnt as good as the October MCM. That being said I WILL be going to the October MCM xD Now that majority of the suit work is done, ill work on my physical appearance to fit the suit even better until the next CC (5 months to go!). However, I will change the shoes as these felt loose and I need to fix the mask still. Expect updates in the next few months, until then, goodbye!

EDIT (23/01/2020): So...Here we are AGAIN!! Ive had TWO successful comic cons now with this suit; and since my last post a few things have changed (Mainly from learning experience!)

I swapped the old shoe soles out for some generic "balenciaga" fakes i picked up on eBay for £11. The old soles were loose, terrible and slippery (and the paint ripped away so quickly). These sock shoes slip on easily, match the suit and have great comfy soles!

shoes.jpg

I swapped webshooters, removing the rubber Homecoming ones that now go with my ITTSV 2 day project suit (Check my content for that separate thread! Easy fast build!) for 3D printed PS4 webshooters via this design (Thank you to my cousin @randotech for printing me these and sending them):

webshooters.jpg

To Attach these to the suit, I bought some Neodymium magnet discs (100 Pack) off eBay for £2.99! I will use superglue to stick 1 under the suit at wrist point and the other under the webshooters, and bang! They'll snap into place!

magnets.jpg

As soon as the webshooters and magnets arrive and are completed i will update this. I am now looking to finally detach the mask as it is a pain in the *** and finally wrap this suit up once and for all.

EDIT (26/03/2021): One YEAR Later and Im here again! Since my last edit to this thread, A LOT has changed (Mainly from learning experience!):

Webshooters:

Firstly, I got around to completing the webshooters (provided by my cousin @randotech). I sprayed 2 coats of primer, 1 coat of black, masked areas, then sprayed them red and hand painted the details.

20210326-193307.jpg
20210326-193314.jpg

From there I used the neodymium magnets and glued them on.

20210326-193321.jpg

So the idea I came up with was to create bands to wear under the suit, that way they can be used in any suit and are synergistic. I bought a roll of stretchy fabric (from arts store, this is the sort of elastic bands found in clothing). I Wrapped it around my wrist, cut the fabric and glued it into a loop, then glued the magnets on that.

20210326-193326.jpg

As written on the bands, PS4 are the two magnets, TASM2 is for my TASM2 webshooters with only 1 magnet (stronger and fatter).

20210326-193354.jpg
20210326-193301.jpg

Faceshell:

Once again, @randotech came to the rescue and kindly printed my faceshell. I got the STL from HERE. Its a revision from another STL, but has a lot more vent holes making the overall print time faster (less material to print), and @randotech split it into 4 parts (which I then subsequently glued together, sanded, primed and painted black to seal).

I glued on the magnets that I had into the right places, padded the inside with foam (The Face-Shell was hurting my nose and ears a bit).

20210326-193501.jpg
20210326-193535.jpg

20210326-193510.jpg
20210326-193543.jpg

20210326-193547.jpg

Lenses:

For the lenses @randotech printed them. I then sanded, sprayed and sealed the lens frames. For the plastic material I purchased some A4 clear binder cover plastic, cut to shape and glued down.

20210326-193552.jpg
20210326-193558.jpg

For the white mesh material, I purchased some PC Case fan filters, sprayed them white, cut to size and used gorilla tape to tape them down. Glue wouldnt work here as the mesh would let the glue fill the holes and spread all under the clear plastic.

Whats Left?:

So the biggest challenge was definitely the faceshell, but now that Ive got that, lenses and webshooters all done, the last real challenge is detaching the mask from the suit. In my most recent build I purchased a "Far From Home" suit and puff painted it ENTIRELY. What ive learnt from that suit (as well as ITTSV) is that I prefer the detached suits so that I can freely walk around a comic con without the mask, and have the freedom to put it on and take it off with little issue.

Other than this the other job is to run silicone over the white parts to try and fix the puff paint job that I did, so I have smooth casts over all white parts. Then the suit is 110% done!

Its been a long journey for sure, and I hope that this thread serves useful to anyone entering cosplay and needs a helping hand.

Thats all for now everyone, take care and peace!

Mahesh
ワンダーランド
⚡ 23
Graduate Accountant
Owner @playequiinox
————————————
⬇️ SOCIALS ⬇️
linktr.ee/woozypictures

Last edited:
The problem with puff paint, as you've found, is that it isn't meant to do large areas. It's impossible to squirt out lines of puff paint directly from the bottle and have it turn out flat and level over large areas. You would have had better luck not using puff paint, instead using slick or normal fabric paint.
I know none of that helps you now, I just wanted to let you know you didn't really do anything wrong technique-wise, as I doubt anyone could make puff paint look flat over that much area.

So, on to fixing it! I don't have much experience with puff paint, but I would try placing waxed paper over the spider (waxed side down) and use an iron on low heat to try to smooth out the white puff paint. Be careful of the heat, too hot will cause the paint to completely melt onto the waxed paper and come off when you remove the paper.

I've also used that technique with a hot iron and plain white printer paper to pull up some of an iron-on decal that I wanted to remove. I don't know if you would be able to do the same thing to remove your puff paint, at least not completely, but if you're not happy with any attempt to smooth it, that might be another option.

You might want to puff paint some scrap fabric first so you can try it and see if it works before trying it on your suit, since I can't guarantee the results.

I think what you should be using is Dragon Skin. Saw a tutorial for this suit on youtube a while ago, showing how to use dragon skin for the white areas, can definitely recommend looking that up. Just search for Spider-man dragon skin and you should find it. Good luck!

The problem with puff paint, as you've found, is that it isn't meant to do large areas. It's impossible to squirt out lines of puff paint directly from the bottle and have it turn out flat and level over large areas. You would have had better luck not using puff paint, instead using slick or normal fabric paint.
I know none of that helps you now, I just wanted to let you know you didn't really do anything wrong technique-wise, as I doubt anyone could make puff paint look flat over that much area.

So, on to fixing it! I don't have much experience with puff paint, but I would try placing waxed paper over the spider (waxed side down) and use an iron on low heat to try to smooth out the white puff paint. Be careful of the heat, too hot will cause the paint to completely melt onto the waxed paper and come off when you remove the paper.

I've also used that technique with a hot iron and plain white printer paper to pull up some of an iron-on decal that I wanted to remove. I don't know if you would be able to do the same thing to remove your puff paint, at least not completely, but if you're not happy with any attempt to smooth it, that might be another option.

You might want to puff paint some scrap fabric first so you can try it and see if it works before trying it on your suit, since I can't guarantee the results.

Good idea of the wax paper! I tried it out and it seemed to help with the bulgy parts of the paint but tbh theres not much more i can do (that being said it looks 40% better so xD) The next issue is making the mask detachable now!

I think what you should be using is Dragon Skin. Saw a tutorial for this suit on youtube a while ago, showing how to use dragon skin for the white areas, can definitely recommend looking that up. Just search for Spider-man dragon skin and you should find it. Good luck!

I know EXACTLY what video your talking about xD Tbh, I didnt know about Dragon Skin until I started the front spider and by then it was too late. Definitely next suit ill use this but to be fair seeing my most recent updates on the main thread, the back emblem worked out sooo much better! Puff paint is really a paint tho xD

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back