The Amazing Spider-man 2 costume build in progress

WEBBING

This one's pretty straightforward. I traced the web pattern onto the fabric by taping the paper pattern and the fabric onto a window and then...tracing. Like so:

webbing1.JPG

At first, I was using a red, fine-tip Sharpie, but it just wasn't showing up enough. I was trying to avoid having the lines show if I strayed from them with puff paint. I tried a couple of different options. I moved to a blue Sharpie, but that was too dark. With the finished web, I can still see those dots bleeding out from under the webbing, because the webbing isn't very thick. What I finally settled on that worked really well was a red overhead pen. It shows up well enough to follow while puff painting, but blends well enough that it doesn't stand out when it's not quite covered.

I applied the puff paint using an applicator with a fairly fine tip that I picked up at Hobby Lobby. I knew that I was going to want something like that from some other builds that I've seen, but it was a pretty lucky find and really makes gives more consistent results.

webbing2.JPG

I pinned each piece of fabric to a really large piece of cardboard that a friend gave me and painted each one. Many of the pieces ended up with slight flaws from air bubbles etc. Like a lot of other things, I'll just have to live with it. The weather was also really warm here, so I think that affected how the paint went on, though not necessarily negatively.

webbing3.JPG

I left the parts of the webbing that will touch the seam unpainted so that they don't interfere with sewing. I figure that a serger wouldn't really have trouble with it, since it cuts the fabric anyway, but I decided not to risk it. I don't have time for things to go terribly wrong right at the finish line :)

Here's one piece a bit closer up:

webbing4.JPG

Last night, I decided to officially call it - no Spider-man costume for Comic-Con this year. I still have too many things to finish for the costume before I leave on Wednesday :)

I've already had to sacrifice on quality in some things because of trying to get it done on such a short schedule. So, now I'll just take the time to get it done like I want it.

I still have more updates until I catch up to what I've done so far. And I'll also continue to update as more progress happens after that!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back