The Abyss Flatbed Restoration Project

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In 1988 I was hired by Dream Quest Images to run the model shop on Jim Cameron's The Abyss. We built many models ranging from small submersible ROVs a few inches long to the wreckage of the USS Montana nuclear missile submarine at over 70 feet long! Probably the coolest of the models were the 1/8th submersibles Cab and Flatbed. As Jim Cameron described it, Flatbed was an "underwater pickup truck" beat to hell by the rough neck deep sea oil rig workers. We built two Flatbed models, one with miniature diver puppets riding on the top for the memorable scenes of them exploring the wreck of the Montana.

Over 30 years later, the hero Flatbed model has come to my shop for repair and restoration. It's a little beat up but overall it is in pretty decent shape given it's age. It's been owned by the same person all these years and kept in a display case.

Here's how it looks now, I'll post more photos as the restoration goes along.

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 831
Wow fantastic, can't wait to see more pics.
And I love the way the figures are posed, very realistic :)

The production provided us with reference photos of how the divers were positioned for the live action filming and we posed the puppets to match.

Really looking forward to seeing the restoration efforts! Is the owner wanting a full resto or just one to stop any further deterioration?

It's wonderful to see that the miniature has not disappeared... for now. Fortunately it is not in a very bad state, although it is evident that it needs a restoration.
It is very grateful that you make public all the work and photographs of the restoration. I hope you document all your work to the last detail, I will be very aware of all the advances ;)
Thanks a lot (y)

Last edited:
Not really. I was hoping to get some really nice photos from the auction house but then the owner decided not to sell it in this years auction so… no pix, sorry.

Not really. I was hoping to get some really nice photos from the auction house but then the owner decided not to sell it in this years auction so… no pix, sorry.
That’s a real shame
I am
Looking to purchase abyss props as it is my favorite movie
If anyone knows of any please
Let Me know
Thanks

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back