The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Lots of progress lately, but not in the form you might expect. I will have some photos to show shortly :)

Things should kick into high gear on this build within a couple of weeks. I"ve been doing a lot of duck aligning recently.

You could always see about getting in touch with mister Adam Savage on here...I know they have a resource they frequent for all their airplane part needs... perhaps he may even be able to help you get them cheaper :)

Probably California Airframe, a aircraft salvage yard. It's not very far from the Mythbusters shop -

California Airframe
72 98th Avenue
Oakland, CA 94603-1002
(510) 569-4011

They don't appear to have a website, but I found a photo gallery of the place. It's pretty neat to walk around in, I once found a complete DC-3 flight simulator cockpit, (minus instruments) for very cheap, but I didn't have any place to store it at the time.

Photos :

California Airframe - a set on Flickr

Nice! Well, my offer still stands when you told me about this project a year or so ago, if you need a hand doing anything- tear down, cleaning, busy work let me know! Are you still in the Tustin area? My GF lives ~10 min from there.

- Jeff

Great video! You're channeling your Army of Darkness Bruce Cambell a bit there.

Drop me a line when you need a hand with some of the fiddly car bits.

So, the 20 foot length fits in that garage diagonally? Or are you knocking out a wall?

--Brian

I've always wanted to build the '89 Batmobile as well...but until I can afford it and have a place to build, I will live through you on this one :)

Great video! I my vote for name on YouTube already ("Project 89" was my choice :p) but regardless I can't wait to see more!

OK, Matt. You seem to be a very cool guy. :D

Looking forward to seeing this project take shape!

My project name input:

- The Matty Batty Project
- Munson City: The Batmobile
- The Matt Cave Project
- Welcome to the Matt Cave

Those are just a few off the top. Good luck on the project. Very ambitious, but I'm sure it'll be awesome!

Dude, have you considered a career in public speaking?
This...

Matt, this is how video blogs should all be done. You got the points across without missing a beat. Very well done.

I have no witty titles for said build. Just get crackin'!

Edit: I am digging the bumper before the RPF video!

Dude, have you considered a career in public speaking?

Oddly enough, yes I have. I even spent some time pursuing it while I was living in Australia a few years ago. I ended up getting distracted by other career happenings though. I personally think that is my dream job. If I could do public speaking, and get paid for it, I would do that for the rest of my life.

GREAT suggestions on the title, by the way. I love them all!

Thanks so much for all the positive feedback. I consider this first one very rough and rushed, and frankly, it's a little thin on content :lol But I think it'll make for a great starting point once interesting stuff starts showing up in the MattCave!!

Thanks for all the encouragements guys. I appreciate it. I think the next really newsworthy moment will be when the body gets dropped off. Until then, it's just tearing down the caprice and buying parts. Which is still fun, mind you.

Right now, my favorite title suggestion is " Rise of the Mattmobile "

No doubt you will complete this in your timeframe

I think it's a reasonable time estimate, which presumes no major obstacles, or lack of funding. Or attention. I am going to try to commit to a VERY rigorous schedule. Something like one hour a day, three days a week. Then five hours on saturday or sunday. That's 8 hours per week dedicated to the car. This will be the minimum. If I get wrapped up in some detail, I'm willing to spend more. But I think if I commit to that type of time input, that will keep things moving. After reading a dozen or so build blogs, I have found that the main things that ruin a build are funds running out, or interest running out. It's a bummer.

Dude, this is gonna be awesome. If you ever need a hand with anything, just let me know. I'm pretty nifty at making cups of tea and at holding spanners.

Apparently Brit-to-American translation was needed:
"I'm perty good at going to Starbucks and holding wrenches."

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back