TFA Stormtrooper Bucket & Armor...Old School Sculpting: Snowie P.8

jimmiroquai

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all! Not really meaning to jump in the band wagon but i just love to sculpt (though i'm just a beginner) and i love Starwars! TFA is a long way off and i thought what better way to channel the obsession than to work on this bucket. :)

I had a bit of practice sculpting the 2003 Clone Wars Microseries lids so i thought i'd try my hand at this.

Here goes!

Here are the templates based on the available photos from Celebration VII:

I based the size on my Microseries Phase 2 Fordo bucket which is roughly the same size as the original Stormy bucket. I printed out the template and traced them unto foam board. I then cut the shapes out, removed the backing paper and build the basic frame.

I'm using XPS foam and sculpting in quadrants to help me maintain symmetry. I also use expanding PU spray foam to fill gaps / fix mistakes.

Here it is roughed out. Just the basic shape. Next step is refining the shape and fixing symmetry issues. As i'm doing this all by hand, there are bound to be some left over symmetry issues. I have to step away from the project several times so i can see mistakes with fresh eyes.

And here it is after refining the main shape. Rough sculpting is more or less done for the moment. I painted the black parts with acrylic so i can better compare with pictures and the templates.

Next step is what i'm dreading most: surface finishing with bondo and the next-to-endless sanding...

What do you guys think? Feedback very welcome! Especially at this stage of the project.

Last edited:
Re: Another TFA Stormtrooper Bucket...Old School Sculpting

Good start look forward to seeing the result havent seen to many foam sculpts ^^

The old fashioned way is still the best way.

Are you going to plaster mold the foam, pull a plaster copy and then refine the plaster copy and mold it?

Thanks!

I'll be painting this with an acrylic emulsion then a few coats of epoxy resin. Then unto bondo. Hmmm, I haven't tried making a plaster casting to refine...

Looks great so far!!!... Love old school approaches, keep up the fantastic work! .. And please share more with us!:thumbsup

Looks really great so far. Nice job on keeping the symmetry, looks very balanced. Never realized other medium used under the clay. I guess I always assumed it just started with a big blob of clay. Makes sense. Thanks for sharing and the education.

I refined the shape some more. I did notice that i took away too much material in some areas. This will have to be built up during the surface finishing. Comparing closely with the pics from Celebration, i need to build up the front plate area under the eyes and move the brow a bit lower and forward. But i think the overall shape is pretty close.

Wow this is fantastic! This method is always amazing and more spectacular to watch than digital modeling. The only thing i see is that I think the right side of the chin under the mic tip/hole looks to be bulging a little on the low side. Other than that keep up the great work! Subscribed!

Update on the helmet:
Clay over the foam master..with a greebly made of illustration board
received_819691071441395_zpstkdsehiy.jpg

Oh and i thought, i'd have a go at the rest of the armor as well. :)
DSC_0001_zpss8nhuwun.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsqj2m2mnl.jpg

DSC_0005_zpstsizirwa.jpg

DSC_0007_zps0nghtn6s.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsccexj8jd.jpg

DSC_0016_zpslunjxa1x.jpg

DSC_0015_zps6xruwqcr.jpg

Would anyone be so kind as to share the dimensions of the abdominal and belt boxes? As well as the diameter and length of the thermal detonator?

received_819691071441395_zpstkdsehiy.jpg

DSC_0001_zpss8nhuwun.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsqj2m2mnl.jpg

DSC_0005_zpstsizirwa.jpg

DSC_0007_zps0nghtn6s.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsccexj8jd.jpg

DSC_0016_zpslunjxa1x.jpg

DSC_0015_zps6xruwqcr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This is looking really good. Can't wait to see the evolution of this.

Thanks! I'm just a beginner though and still learning. Oh and just to clear up the confusion, I sculpted the main foam form, and i asked my friend to help me with the surface finishing with clay as i am still unfamiliar with the medium. In the past, i would've used a ton of bondo and sanding, but that took too much of the fun away from the project. So i'm still learning to use the stuff, hence the Count Dooku side project elsewhere in this section. :)

So, no, i don't do this for a living. I'm actually a doctor and on single parent duty while my doctor wife is doing some further training abroad for a year. So this is done on my spare time. :) When i retire, then just doing this would be awesome. :)

In the mean time it's practice practice practice.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back