TFA Snowtrooper Ultimate Build!

You're really blowing us away at each update.

And I know it's not relevant but I love the framed pictures you have on your wall. "The End of Days"; brings me back few years ago ;). And I just watched "Matrix" again like two weeks ago. It hasn't aged at all!

Another quick update! Finished the chest piece. Final step, still need to seal in the control panel with white silicone. Painting the back piece today. All black & grey detail areas are cut vinyl, same with the insignia decal.
chest (2 of 6).jpgchest (4 of 6).jpgchest (5 of 6).jpg
chest (6 of 6).jpgchest (1 of 6).jpg

New Update! Getting the back pack ready for paint! This has to be the most difficult piece to prep for paint. Lots of inside corners to sand and make perfect. I probably have 10-12 hours in sanding & filling this bad boy! Hopefully get some white urethane on it this weekend. Then the tedious task of masking and getting the black details painted on. Here's some pics of the filling stages. Using Bondo to fill and even out large areas, then a thinner glaze to smooth everything out.

putty 1.jpgputty 2.jpgputty 3.jpgputty 4.jpgputty 5.jpgputty 6.jpgputty low spots.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some pics after final primer spray. This is a filler primer. After this, I sanded down with 400 then I applied another couple coats of white primer, then I'll scuff with 400 again, then shoot final paint. Now this is just the main body of the back pack. There are still about a dozen parts that still get painted and attached separately.

primed 1.jpgprimed 2.jpgprimed 3.jpgprimed 4.jpgprimed 5.jpgprimed 6.jpgprimed 7.jpg

You are really a master at smoothing print lines! It's hard to believe this backpack has been FDM printed.

Dude, I'm still dealing with little micro cracks and other small voids in inside corners. It's such a pain in the ass to get rid of all of the imperfections but I think I got about 98% there! Sometimes cracks pop up out of nowhere, where there's not even a seam. Sometimes just spraying primer will trigger a small crack just because of the temperature difference, the cold paint hitting the printed piece sometimes will cause a slight delamination in a weak layer, doesn't happen often but it does. It's like you think you have it all ready to go, then all these little things pop up and you see things once the primer is on that you didn't see before. It's a process!

Wow this project is looking amazing, your finishing skills for the plastic is intense, looks like a much more expensive material than just 3D printing. I love it.

So crisp and clean! Are you sure you weren't involved in the making of the actual TFA Snowtroopers and these photos aren't behind-the-scenes pics of their creation? ;)
You are so right. This doesn't look like stuff coming out of one dude's basement/garage. Still can't believe the shine on the white armor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back