TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

these golden eyes are looking great!! I'm going to have to get me a vintage glass eye now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm seeing something weird with the cutout bits on the 'Finn' hero. Was there a Graflex variant that looks like what I'm seeing? My eyes are probably tricking me but I thought I'd share anyway.

ty.jpg

It's most likely just a weird reflection or optical illusion. Logically it doesn't make sense, it doesn't match and prop saber we've seen, and it's hard to imagine they would build it from scratch like that.

I'm seeing something weird with the cutout bits on the 'Finn' hero. Was there a Graflex variant that looks like what I'm seeing? My eyes are probably tricking me but I thought I'd share anyway.

View attachment 628777

i think thats the reflection of the trooper armor

- - - Updated - - -

It's most likely just a weird reflection or optical illusion. Logically it doesn't make sense, it doesn't match and prop saber we've seen, and it's hard to imagine they would build it from scratch like that.

i concur

You stumbled on something pretty cool but you're noticing the wrong detail. What you're seeing is the "charge port" that has the plug prong in it but both images on the left are flipped images of the graflex. That tab between the round port and the red button are located on the other side of the flash. Are those screen grabs?? If so they flipped the shot in post production.

View attachment 628777

Are the lines on the clamp cover as soft or rounded on the edges as they appear in the photos? They dont look super sharp and stamped in tightly as the original, like even the ones Ive seen here where the lines were actually cutouts, but that could just be the photos.

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 9.55.26 AM.png

This is a direct result of the camera angle. The clamp is in the foreground covering up part of the grip giving it that rounded profile. That's also why they look lower profile.

I'm still struggling with the grips. In the below pic the bottoms seem to be fully arched and not just flat with a glue channel. Any thoughts?

Good point. I still can't find a clear pic that conclusively proves either way though. The launch bay grips are fully arched but those are not necessarily the same grips on the screen used props.

This is a direct result of the camera angle. The clamp is in the foreground covering up part of the grip giving it that rounded profile. That's also why they look lower profile.

Hi all,

The clamp covers and bottom plates are available in my shop:

Clamp Cover $15
http://wannawanga.com/products/tfa-clamp-cover/

Bottom Plate $5
http://wannawanga.com/products/graflex-bottom-plate/

Here are some pictures I took of my brand new TFA Graflex hero replica!
(and yes; I also filed the teeth of the lens holder)
T-track length: 88 mm

View attachment 628923

View attachment 628924

View attachment 628925

View attachment 628926

Cheers!
Roy

its official! i love you roy!! just ordered 3 clamp covers and 3 plate ends, you are the man!!!

Very cool, Roy! I'm going to place my order this week. :)

Have we talked about the kobold clip yet? I just went over some screenshots and I think the TFA clip is missing the little "step" next to the two mounting holes... My plan was to order one of Roy's clips and then do some more filing to get rid of it, but then I realized his clips are plated brass and I would only ruin it. Am I seeing things?
roygilsing: Any chance there will be a TFA kobold clip without the "step"? :)

kobold-step.jpg

There is still the issue of the bottom cover that is bothering me... It's either a very scratched metal plate (like Roy is selling) or slightly wrinkled metal tape. Something is telling me that it is indeed metal tape, but I'm not sure. I might test it with my Graflex, just to see how tape looks when it is pressed against the lettering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, Roy! I'm going to place my order this week. :)

Have we talked about the kobold clip yet? I just went over some screenshots and I think the TFA clip is missing the little "step" next to the two mounting holes... My plan was to order one of Roy's clips and then do some more filing to get rid of it, but then I realized his clips are plated brass and I would only ruin it. Am I seeing things?
@roygilsing: Any chance there will be a TFA kobold clip without the "step"? :)

View attachment 629223

There is still the issue of the bottom cover that is bothering me... It's either a very scratched metal plate (like Roy is selling) or slightly wrinkled metal tape. Something is telling me that it is indeed metal tape, but I'm not sure. I might test it with my Graflex, just to see how tape looks when it is pressed against the lettering.

ha!! I never noticed that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back