TFA *** First Order Snowtrooper

Fabric is not tackle twill, it is polyester jersey backed neoprene. This has been confirmed already
Okay, thanks for the clarification :) do you have a link to that discovery? I found a white polyester neoprene online, but just want to confirm before I spend $25 /yard [emoji14]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fabric is not tackle twill, it is polyester jersey backed neoprene. This has been confirmed already

So if one was considering this costume for 501st membership, would one be able to use a fabric that looks close to the polyester jersey? Or would one have to use the exact fabric?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm a newb...

How's the progress coming? Love the backpack, I'm starting on that part next. I'm working on the same costume. This is also my first full costume build. I think the new snow trooper is the coolest trooper so far! I'm 3d modeling all the hard armor and producing via 3d printing and CNC router, like yourself. Maybe we can share ideas and resources? Found a good fabric combo that looks very close to the reference pics. I did some practice pieces to get the quilting down. Not too easy but getting the hang of it. Here's a few shots of my "soft armor" and 3d progress. Haha, the sleeve was just practice, it's a bit short. Eventually I'll start my own thread for this one. :)
sleeve1.jpgsleeve2.jpgsleeve4.jpgsnow pearl.jpgchest.jpgarmrender3.jpgarmrender1.jpg

Attachments

• arms2.jpg
    arms2.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 242
How's the progress coming? Love the backpack, I'm starting on that part next. I'm working on the same costume. This is also my first full costume build. I think the new snow trooper is the coolest trooper so far! I'm 3d modeling all the hard armor and producing via 3d printing and CNC router, like yourself. Maybe we can share ideas and resources? Found a good fabric combo that looks very close to the reference pics. I did some practice pieces to get the quilting down. Not too easy but getting the hang of it. Here's a few shots of my "soft armor" and 3d progress. Haha, the sleeve was just practice, it's a bit short. Eventually I'll start my own thread for this one. :)
View attachment 555756View attachment 555757View attachment 555758View attachment 555762View attachment 555763View attachment 555764View attachment 555765
Awesome job on the 3d modeling! Sweet work on the sleeve too! What material did you use? And, a noob question, how do you get those "puffy" bits on the arm? Do you stuff it? I'm starting on my soft parts soon so that's why I'm extra curious about that

Awesome job on the 3d modeling! Sweet work on the sleeve too! What material did you use? And, a noob question, how do you get those "puffy" bits on the arm? Do you stuff it? I'm starting on my soft parts soon so that's why I'm extra curious about that

It's just basic quilting to get the poofy parts. I'm using polyester batting for filling. You just put the batting in between 2 layers of fabric and sew lines. Pretty simple even for a novice seamster! The top layer is a fusible interfacing called Pellon. I've done tons of searching for a fabric that matches, mostly looking at polyester knits but this stuff looks almost exact! It's a thin fabric but over the batting it looks fine. It has just the right shine and the exact thread texture of the real suit.

It's just basic quilting to get the poofy parts. I'm using polyester batting for filling. You just put the batting in between 2 layers of fabric and sew lines. Pretty simple even for a novice seamster! The top layer is a fusible interfacing called Pellon. I've done tons of searching for a fabric that matches, mostly looking at polyester knits but this stuff looks almost exact! It's a thin fabric but over the batting it looks fine. It has just the right shine and the exact thread texture of the real suit.
I think your fabric looks really great! Others have said neoprene is the way to go but if this pellon stuff is cheaper/easier to work with I'll go for that

Al looking fantastic. Thx for showing your 3d work and fabric work.

I'm nearly done with the masters for the forearms and shoulderarmor. Have all the parts for the belt. Done the 3d for the chest, but looking for time to machine it. Hope to have all except the helmet done before the end of the year.

I'll post some more pics soon.

Cheers and keep showing your progress.

Wasili

Some (maybe) big news!!! I'll get pics up later, but 24 hours ago I sprayed my black Kamik Canucks with white Flex Seal from Lowes. So far the result is great! I was afraid the stuff went on too heavy and I'd lose detail, but so far it looks like it's really bonded and kept much of the original detail! I walked around a bit and no cracking, peeling, bubbling, nothing. Only thing is the bottom is slightly sticky. I'll give it the full 48 hrs until I give a final verdict. Till then, I glossed the bottom with spray paint sealer, well see if that helps.

Some (maybe) big news!!! I'll get pics up later, but 24 hours ago I sprayed my black Kamik Canucks with white Flex Seal from Lowes. So far the result is great! I was afraid the stuff went on too heavy and I'd lose detail, but so far it looks like it's really bonded and kept much of the original detail! I walked around a bit and no cracking, peeling, bubbling, nothing. Only thing is the bottom is slightly sticky. I'll give it the full 48 hrs until I give a final verdict. Till then, I glossed the bottom with spray paint sealer, well see if that helps.

Nice, I'm curious to see the final results. I've still got a black pair of them

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 555756View attachment 555757View attachment 555758View attachment 555762View attachment 555763View attachment 555764View attachment 555765

Yes, this is freaking amazing! We'd love it if you'd be willing to post your progress over on the 501st Blizzard Force detachment!

Awesome!!! Thank you so much!!

This already appears to be a completely different suit than what we saw at Celebration- Weathered boots and, can't tell if it's lighting, but less glossy.

This is something I've been slacking to put together, but based on everything we've seen I'd say this is how it is now, where the "long duster" portion is a separate over coat, so now we have an undershirt w/ exposed sleeves/center (below he chest armor). Just did a quick crappy MS paint to show what I'm referring to

flznHOy.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back