TFA *** First Order Snowtrooper

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by wasili, Jun 16, 2015.

1. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Hey guys and gals,

Although i've build quite a lot, and a for a long time, doing full costumes is new for me. And i absolutely love it.
    When i saw the pics of the new Snowtrooper at Celebrations, i decided to make this my first costume build. Now time for its own WIP thread here on the RPF.

Still at an early stage, here's my progress so far....

3d file (using Rhino3d) of the 'mictip' (for lack of a better term) on the chin of the helmet, drawn up and machined from chemiwood. White bits in styrene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In primer. Will add the groove on the side, on the lathe. After that, i'll add the white bits on the side.

[​IMG]

Start of the backpack in 2d (AutoCAD)/3d (Rhino3d), tracing a multitude of photos and trying to compensate for perspective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 'beltbox'. Again in 3d, the pouches on each side are simple shapes for blocking out the space. Nothing fancy.

[​IMG]

The belt looks to be made from a fine ribbed rubber flooring. I found something locally and got a sample. Close, but not a perfect match (still looking). Cut a strip of the width of the belt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The beltbox is two parts. Front is white, rear is black. I only took a shot of the black part being machined. I will mold and cast this in black tinted pu rubber.

[​IMG]

A quick combo for the belt, and both parts for the box.

Thanx for looking.

Cheers,
    Wasili

[​IMG]

2. virateck

virateck Active Member

Great start !!! can't wait to see the helmet ;) :)

3. T5H

T5H Active Member

Beautiful work so far. I'm glad to finally see someone committing himself with the Snowtrooper, i really like the costume.

4. deserthunter

deserthunter Well-Known Member

This is going to be good. Getting ready to start soft goods once I find suitable fabric. Can't wait to see the pack.

5. Bayani

Bayani New Member

Your work looks very promising! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

6. DaveF45122

DaveF45122 New Member

Any updates?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Thanx for the kind words guys. I continue to do the 3d modelling on the parts, now that my cnc's are running the last parts for my Turret run.

In the menatime i have been modelling this TFA thingy as well.

Will update soon with more Snowy bits and pieces.

Cheers,
    Wasili

[​IMG]

8. sctcarts

sctcarts Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

9. DaveF45122

DaveF45122 New Member

Nice

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

10. DaveF45122

DaveF45122 New Member

One my way to shop for soft armor material.

11. DaveF45122

DaveF45122 New Member

Yeah went out and the people who are suppose to be experts had no clue on the material.

12. DaveF45122

DaveF45122 New Member

Anyone found it online to buy? If you can post the link.

13. wasili

wasili Sr Member

To be honest, i have no idea. Maybe post in the other thread, and ask. This thread here is just for my build. But feel free to show any progress.

14. Andrewhitc

Andrewhitc Member

Anovos will offer them after premier. I'm also saw some creepy China recast ones, but they look awful

15. wasili

wasili Sr Member

I'm sure Anovos will, but i'll be building my own from front to back. The vacvormed production process used by Anovos on the TFA Stormtrooper makes them very different from the screenused cast costumes.

My goal is not just to make a costume, but only a screenaccurate costume.

tubachris85x likes this.
  16. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Personally don't want to wait several years either to have this made....blah

JJ Griffin likes this.
  17. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Awesome! Subscribed.

18. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Back on the worksbench :) Updates very soon...

BobasDent1138 likes this.
  19. BobasDent1138

BobasDent1138 Active Member

Very exciting!I've been looking into fabrics and I think parts of it could possibly be a type of tackle twill, that white fabric with the slight sheen used on Boba Fett's vest and neckseal. That's what the torso and maybe the legs look like to me for the new snowy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

20. RatFacedMonkey

RatFacedMonkey New Member

I was wondering about this as well. Do you think they lose detail by vacuum forming?

21. deserthunter

deserthunter Well-Known Member

Fabric is not tackle twill, it is polyester jersey backed neoprene. This has been confirmed already

22. BobasDent1138

Okay, thanks for the clarification :) do you have a link to that discovery? I found a white polyester neoprene online, but just want to confirm before I spend $25 /yard

23. Omega2730

Omega2730 New Member

So if one was considering this costume for 501st membership, would one be able to use a fabric that looks close to the polyester jersey? Or would one have to use the exact fabric?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm a newb...

24. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Thx on the neoprene.

And as for the 501st, i have no idea. Not a member.

Cheers,
    Wasili

25. Hand-Schaub

Hand-Schaub Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking forward to the progress here. Consider me an "investor"

26. watsonstudios

watsonstudios Active Member

How's the progress coming? Love the backpack, I'm starting on that part next. I'm working on the same costume. This is also my first full costume build. I think the new snow trooper is the coolest trooper so far! I'm 3d modeling all the hard armor and producing via 3d printing and CNC router, like yourself. Maybe we can share ideas and resources? Found a good fabric combo that looks very close to the reference pics. I did some practice pieces to get the quilting down. Not too easy but getting the hang of it. Here's a few shots of my "soft armor" and 3d progress. Haha, the sleeve was just practice, it's a bit short. Eventually I'll start my own thread for this one. :)
    sleeve1.jpg sleeve2.jpg sleeve4.jpg snow pearl.jpg chest.jpg armrender3.jpg armrender1.jpg

Attached Files:

27. BobasDent1138

Awesome job on the 3d modeling! Sweet work on the sleeve too! What material did you use? And, a noob question, how do you get those "puffy" bits on the arm? Do you stuff it? I'm starting on my soft parts soon so that's why I'm extra curious about that

28. watsonstudios

It's just basic quilting to get the poofy parts. I'm using polyester batting for filling. You just put the batting in between 2 layers of fabric and sew lines. Pretty simple even for a novice seamster! The top layer is a fusible interfacing called Pellon. I've done tons of searching for a fabric that matches, mostly looking at polyester knits but this stuff looks almost exact! It's a thin fabric but over the batting it looks fine. It has just the right shine and the exact thread texture of the real suit.

29. triumphfx

triumphfx Active Member

I'll post my pics from the exhibit soon.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    wasili likes this.
  30. BobasDent1138

I think your fabric looks really great! Others have said neoprene is the way to go but if this pellon stuff is cheaper/easier to work with I'll go for that

31. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Al looking fantastic. Thx for showing your 3d work and fabric work.

I'm nearly done with the masters for the forearms and shoulderarmor. Have all the parts for the belt. Done the 3d for the chest, but looking for time to machine it. Hope to have all except the helmet done before the end of the year.

I'll post some more pics soon.

Cheers and keep showing your progress.

Wasili

32. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  33. watsonstudios

I use 3ds Max for polygon modeling and Spaceclaim for solid modeling.

34. BobasDent1138

Some (maybe) big news!!! I'll get pics up later, but 24 hours ago I sprayed my black Kamik Canucks with white Flex Seal from Lowes. So far the result is great! I was afraid the stuff went on too heavy and I'd lose detail, but so far it looks like it's really bonded and kept much of the original detail! I walked around a bit and no cracking, peeling, bubbling, nothing. Only thing is the bottom is slightly sticky. I'll give it the full 48 hrs until I give a final verdict. Till then, I glossed the bottom with spray paint sealer, well see if that helps.

Fivehole likes this.
  35. tubachris85x

Nice, I'm curious to see the final results. I've still got a black pair of them

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, this is freaking amazing! We'd love it if you'd be willing to post your progress over on the 501st Blizzard Force detachment!

36. tubachris85x

Double post....

37. triumphfx

triumphfx Active Member

Here are pics from Star Wars costume exhibit in NYC.
    snow01.jpg snow02.jpg snow03.jpg snow04.jpg snow05.jpg

tubachris85x likes this.
  38. triumphfx

triumphfx Active Member

Snow trooper cont..
    snow06.jpg snow07.jpg snow08.jpg snow09.jpg snow10.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Snow trooper cont. again....
    snow11.jpg snow12.jpg snow13.jpg

tubachris85x likes this.
  39. tubachris85x

Awesome!!! Thank you so much!!

This already appears to be a completely different suit than what we saw at Celebration- Weathered boots and, can't tell if it's lighting, but less glossy.

40. tubachris85x

This is something I've been slacking to put together, but based on everything we've seen I'd say this is how it is now, where the "long duster" portion is a separate over coat, so now we have an undershirt w/ exposed sleeves/center (below he chest armor). Just did a quick crappy MS paint to show what I'm referring to

[​IMG]

41. tubachris85x

Good news, the helmets used mesh

[​IMG]

42. BobasDent1138

WOW what a shot! Now, is that mesh over a lens or just mesh? Where would one find mesh that tight?

43. tubachris85x

Honestly, I'm 100% positive it's just straight mesh. There's no reflection or shimmering. Plus, it just wouldn't make sense to use a lens when you're using mesh-it's redundant. Mesh removes the whole fogging problem. Disney did this for select character costumes for their disney parks.

The other thing is that the eye slot is so narrow that even on film, you wouldn't see anything but black anyway

44. BobasDent1138

True, fair points. I'll do a search for this mesh. I'll also post pics of my boot soon :)

45. BobasDent1138

Alright here are some pics! This is one all-around coat of Flex Seal after 48 hours. After 24 the bottom was still slightly sticky, but now it's all good! Honestly, for a $12 can of paint, it came out pretty well, especially for one coat. When it first went on, it looked very thick and like it was going to coat over all of the detail. Clearly it preserved most detail! See for yourself! :D
    uploadfromtaptalk1447892916556.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1447892950321.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1447892980004.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1447893317064.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1447892882728.jpg
    Now, as you can see the only peeling is from the tips of the bottom grips, as they scratch against the ground. But as long as you don't pick at it it won't peel up the boot. I'm going to see how long a single coat lasts on these , then if they peel or wear out I'll peel it all off and do two coats. So far so good! :D

46. watsonstudios

Ok, so that's 2 hours I'll never get back! After seeing these new photos that were released I just had to see how close I was with my 3d snow trooper helmet. I tried to duplicate the straight-on shot as best I could to get a comparison. I hate doing this because it makes me want to go back and tweak some more but I already started printing the top part or "dome" of the helmet so that part I will leave as is. I hate being so picky! :)

Photo on the left, my rendering on the right.
    helmet side by.jpg

47. tubachris85x

Looks really good! The biggest critiques I am noticing is that your aerators/tube connectors are missing some details and maybe the black line above the eye-slit could be a little thinner, but pretty spot on otherwise

48. watsonstudios

Yes, the little "mics" are not finished and are missing the little square pieces. The black line issue will just be a matter of how it's painted. Even the studio helmet has some less than perfect paint details. The flame trooper detail lines are a great example of that. :)

tubachris85x likes this.
  49. tubachris85x

All good! Did you get my PM by chance?

50. BobasDent1138

Before I paint my second boot, any thoughts on my first based on those pics? If it doesn't look too great I'll try something else.