chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my scratch built (Denix & 3D printed) HOTH blaster from The Empire Strikes Back..

I’ve been studying these dl-44 blasters under a microscope for a while now and every time I think I have it figured out a new detail emerges. But this is where I am at today. When I started on this Hoth blaster mortifactor first hand notes/posts where extremely helpful. But there have also been plenty unnamed sources I pulled from over the years. I looked at multiple threads and screen grabbed pretty much everything and anything I could find with regards to this prop. Recently scottjua was kind enough to share some info that corrected some of mortifactors observations.. namely the spacer as it apparently is not made of two parts but just one solid part.

Mostly though I just obsessed over pictures I was able to find of the actual film prop itself. In the end this is my take on this Hoth replica prop. I fully welcome feedback.. positive, negative, constructive. It all helps. One observation I’ve added is to the mount itself as it seems to be on a bit of an angle on the back inside?? I’ve not noticed this discussed or really talked about before but it does seem to be there on all the pictures I’ve gathered. Also I created a “mystery knob” but that is (obviously) highly subjective as the only pictures we have are very much inconclusive.. but I really wanted to see what it could have possibly looked like intact.

For this build I used a denix as its a great base for an MGC build but I did modify it heavily.. including subbing in a new MGC designed trigger and hammer. Lastly the flash hider was a tough one. The details are hard to see and scaling from pictures is extremely difficult as we all know (fisheye lenses, distortion.. etc) but I think overall it came out really nicely.

All parts are printed on multiple printers using different materials (depending on strength and/or details) to capture each as needed..
FF1C0334-29FF-492B-9C85-6624E513B66F.jpeg
023AD924-24E8-4449-9226-D59F2768183F.jpeg
70059B22-7EFC-4CAA-BFDA-15ADBAF38587.jpeg

Last edited:
They just drew on the knurling? I've never noticed that on this version!

ya it’s kind of offsetting until you start collecting all these different variants of the DL44. Then its actually the knurling itself that makes it so special and unique.. Capturing that film accurate look is always what sets these builds apart IMHO anyways. But to see it for the first time definitely takes a little getting use to that is for sure (y)

ya it’s kind of offsetting until you start collecting all these different variants of the DL44. Then its actually the knurling itself that makes it so special and unique.. Capturing that film accurate look is always what sets these builds apart IMHO anyways. But to see it for the first time definitely takes a little getting use to that is for sure (y)

That's what I think is interesting is that there are several types of prop replica collectors on here. Some want an exact replica of the prop where others (like me often) want a replica of the in universe weapon. I've seen people replicate things that were obviously not intended because it's in the pic, even if it was something that broke off after filming. So there's room for everybody! Does anyone know what the back story was for the lines? I'm assuming something like time or cost led to them using that flash hider.

I dont have definitive statements but the blaster parts seem to have been made from metal stock, and a lathe/drill press or mill. I dont think they had a knurling attachment and much time or high end equipment for this one

Sluis Van Shipyards oh ya for sure! There is more than enough room for all sorts of collectors within this universe. I’ve yet to build a custom dl-44 but it’s definitely something I’ve been thinking about.

As for the reason the lines were drawn on.. I’d only be guessing honestly. I believe they used the MGC because it’s much easier to travel with than the live fire “Bespin” versions. But still not sure why the continuity amongst all these blasters are so off. I can understand when it came to the GK why it’s different but for EMPIRE, with all the success of SW.. seems strange.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back