Terminator: Genisys

I thought that was just to make it blend in and seem just like a working Joe. Was it for actual nourishment or did they just recon that later?

The eating food was actually meant to keep the tissue alive to maintain its appearance in the original script. In fact, from what I read, the living tissue was also maintained by a circulatory system with a heart the size of a chicken's heart, to keep blood flowing and that the nutrients from eating continues to keep the skin alive. But, like I said, when it came to the scene, Cameron cut it before it was filmed because he believed it looked too comedic.

I thought I remembered something where the flesh basically started dying immediately. Hence why in T1 the flies where all over him and people made comment of his smell

I thought I remembered something where the flesh basically started dying immediately. Hence why in T1 the flies where all over him and people made comment of his smell

Well, in T1 he did lose quite a bit of it in the police shootout, given the sheer number of rounds that hit him. I imagine with the sheer amount of damage to the dermal and muscular layers, his organic parts were incapable of repair.

It's interesting that they are designed for long term use. Hence DEEP infiltration like we saw in TSCC

Also logical given how they have a power source that lasts some 100+ years. Possibly a lot longer if set to stand-by mode.

In the case of the time-traveling Terminators, yeah, deep cover is a primary objective, such as the case of Vick, Ellison, or the second incarnation of Cromartie (who all wore skin suits to exactly emulate a specific individual) or in the interesting case of Myron Stark (who time-traveled back to the Prohibition Era due to an error in the TDE). They were meant to infiltrate and accomplish specific tasks to ensure that Skynet had a tactical advantage in the future or that Skynet came into existence.

In the Future War infiltrators, deep cover was meant to either gather copious amounts of intel for Skynet (who realized that sweeps and patrols were not as effective as it hoped) or to get close to specific targets and eliminate them.

"The lackluster home field reception for Paramount's Terminator Genisys, which has a three-day estimate of $28.7M and a five-day estimate of $44.1M, calls into question the domestic box-office draw of Arnold Swarzenegger and the overall viability of the once-redoubtable Terminator franchise itself.

After all 2009's Terminator Salvation opened in 3,530 venues with a three-day estimate of $42.6M, a $12,056 per screen average. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, made $44M in 3,504 theaters, a $12,568 average on its three-day July 4th weekend in 2003. Terminator Genisys was in 3,758 theaters yet only made a $7,637 average.
Overseas coin, however, the likely reason that anyone revisted making another Terminator in the first place, looks like it might save the day. Grosses came in at $74M from 44 markets over the weekend and an $85M international cume.
Terminator Genisys opened at #1 in Russia ($12.5M at 1,150 locations), Korea ($11.1M from 1,275 venues), Mexico ($6.2M from 670 locations), India ($2.8M from 600 venues), Malaysia ($2.3M at 131 sites), Taiwan ($2.1M at 80 locations), Hong Kong ($1.9M from 44 venues), and Ukraine ($666K from 235 locations). Though not landing at the #1 spot it has also opened in the UK ($5.6M from 536 sites), France ($3.8M at 680 locations), Brazil ($4M from 549 cinemas), Australia ($4.7M at 258 cinemas), the Philippines ($1.4M at 149 sites), and Venezuela ($2.4M at 75 venues).
It has yet to open in Germany and Italy, which it does on July 9th and the next day in Spain and Japan. A release date has yet to be chosen for China.
At Genisys's reported pre-advertising cost of $155M it will be the international markets that dictate whether we will be hearing of Skynet and Judgment Day in the near future. Given that Paramount has two more Terminator films slated to go, in 2016 and 2017, all eyes will be on those rollouts."

Did they really expect a big opening-weekend bonanza with this? How stupid are they?!?

Typical Hollywood behavior. Failing to take the bad history of the franchise into account when making financial estimates. Only thinking with the box office, not the audience's satisfaction in the long run.

Genisys is following on two disappointing Terminator movies in a row.
Schwarzenegger has been mostly a goofy joke in the public eye for the last decade.

The last two Terminators made money. But when a heavily-marketed movie makes a ton of money while disappointing people, it just means they disappointed a big number of people. It proves that T:3 and T:S spent a lot of the public's remaining faith in the franchise that the Cameron movies had stored up.

Why do grown adults, who are professionally employed to understand & predict this sort of thing, regularly fail to spot this factor? Why do they understand the concept that a successful movie boosts the next one, but they never stop to think that recent failures have a negative effect on the next one?

I saw this movie last night. While it was 'nice' to see all the Terminator elements, but it didn't have the 'Cameron' feel of 'on-the-edge-of-your-seat'

I also felt that if you hadn't seen the first Terminator movies, that the story was confusing. This movie made Skynet the star, but gave it no character, and Arnie was comic relief.

So much for the Terminator franchise. It has gone the way of the Predator...

And good riddance. Genisys was so damn painfully bad I could hardly bear it. A lot of people are saying it's better than 3 and 4, which is a really low bar to clear, but I'd rather spend an eternity in hell watching T3 than have to sit through this bland TV dinner of a movie one more time.

I thought the movie was okay... Definitely not very good, and with this awesome (half year) of action I think it just looks worse than it is. Mad Max, and Kingsman have set a very high bar, and this just (sadly) doesn't compare. Personally I have never understood why people want to see more terminator movies. T2 tied the story up perfectly and it should have just ended there. According to an article I read they are making two sequels to this movie anyway, and Arnold is on board for the second. I guess they want to get any money they can before it reverts back to Cameron. The biggest problem with this film was the spoilerific marketing campaign, so maybe they will learn from their mistakes for future releases...

I thought the movie was okay... Definitely not very good, and with this awesome (half year) of action I think it just looks worse than it is. Mad Max, and Kingsman have set a very high bar, and this just (sadly) doesn't compare. Personally I have never understood why people want to see more terminator movies. T2 tied the story up perfectly and it should have just ended there. According to an article I read they are making two sequels to this movie anyway, and Arnold is on board for the second. I guess they want to get any money they can before it reverts back to Cameron. The biggest problem with this film was the spoilerific marketing campaign, so maybe they will learn from their mistakes for future releases...

I still haven't seen this one, but the film will live on well past its theatrical marketing and I imagine it will still suffer the same general perception. The marketing can only be the biggest problem with a film if that film is a good one.

I still haven't seen this one, but the film will live on well past its theatrical marketing and I imagine it will still suffer the same general perception. The marketing can only be the biggest problem with a film if that film is a good one.

It's just that any other mistakes are so common, and expected for an action movie. Having a trailer that spoils the big twist in the movie seems go be somewhat exclusive to the terminator franchise. Gladly I was a kid when I watched the first 2, and I watched them at home so I didn't have to see any of these stupid trailers.

Thinking through the time-travel issues makes my brain fuzzy. This is what I have so far:

At the beginning of the film, when the Resistance is making the final attack on Skynet, time travel hadn't been used yet. Skynet sent a single T-800 back, to kill all the Sarah Connors who could be John's mother. Though I'd think that the timeline should have instantly changed, John had time to set up the machine again and send Kyle Reese.

As Kyle is going through the process, John is attacked by Matt Smith's character and infected. All the other Resistance members present look to have been killed.

At this point, it would seem to me that Skynet has won in the future - they literally own the leader of the humans, who would the most dangerous mole in the Resistance. It wouldn't be hard to utterly defeat the humans at this point.

Back in 2017, Skynet survives being blown to hell by the good guys, as seen in the mid-credits scene. So it knows that while John is presumably dead, Sarah Connor is still alive. And probably knows that she has a T-800, upgraded to a T-1000, as a bodyguard. It files that away for (literally) future use.

At this point I have two possibilities:

1: Future Skynet decides to kill young Sarah Connor, similar to its original plan. Either the remains of the Resistance sends back Pops to save her (continuing the pretty endless cycle) or John, though part of Skynet, isn't completely convinced he'll survive his mother's early death, and sends Pops back himself.

2. John is still human enough to realize what he's become, hates that he's being used to lead humanity to its doom, and sends the T-1000 back to kill his own mother, feeling that though the Resistance won't have him around, someone might rise up to take his place. At which point Skynet itself sends Pops back, since the events of "Terminator Genisys" does conclude with Skynet still around, which could be seen by Skynet as an acceptable victory. It also explains why Pops doesn't know who reprogrammed him.

I find it interesting that anytime a part of the T-1000 rejoins his liquid metal body, he looks at it like it's happening for the first time. Of course this to draw attention for the audience, but it always looks stupid to me.

I can see the script direction now...

T-1000 runs his hand along the street and pics up the discarded piece of himself. He watches as it morphs into his hand... amazed.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back