Terminator: Genisys

Or perhaps the Resistance learns that John has betrayed them, and manage to send the T-1000 back to kill young Sarah, prompting John/Skynet to send Pops back, unaware of why he's guarding her.

Thinking through the time-travel issues makes my brain fuzzy. This is what I have so far:

At the beginning of the film, when the Resistance is making the final attack on Skynet, time travel hadn't been used yet. Skynet sent a single T-800 back, to kill all the Sarah Connors who could be John's mother. Though I'd think that the timeline should have instantly changed, John had time to set up the machine again and send Kyle Reese.

As Kyle is going through the process, John is attacked by Matt Smith's character and infected. All the other Resistance members present look to have been killed.

At this point, it would seem to me that Skynet has won in the future - they literally own the leader of the humans, who would the most dangerous mole in the Resistance. It wouldn't be hard to utterly defeat the humans at this point.

Back in 2017, Skynet survives being blown to hell by the good guys, as seen in the mid-credits scene. So it knows that while John is presumably dead, Sarah Connor is still alive. And probably knows that she has a T-800, upgraded to a T-1000, as a bodyguard. It files that away for (literally) future use.

At this point I have two possibilities:

1: Future Skynet decides to kill young Sarah Connor, similar to its original plan. Either the remains of the Resistance sends back Pops to save her (continuing the pretty endless cycle) or John, though part of Skynet, isn't completely convinced he'll survive his mother's early death, and sends Pops back himself.

2. John is still human enough to realize what he's become, hates that he's being used to lead humanity to its doom, and sends the T-1000 back to kill his own mother, feeling that though the Resistance won't have him around, someone might rise up to take his place. At which point Skynet itself sends Pops back, since the events of "Terminator Genisys" does conclude with Skynet still around, which could be seen by Skynet as an acceptable victory. It also explains why Pops doesn't know who reprogrammed him.

I just saw the movie and came to a similar conclusion, only a little different. As Pops mentioned, it took a bit for the cellular cybernetic infection to completely replace all of Johns cells. Now because T2 is canon in this series, John already knows that he will also be sending back a reprogrammed T-800 to 1994 (Uncle Bob). I would guess that he already had everything set up by his techs (assuming that the resistance had infiltrated the entire Skynet infrastructure like in the T2 novel by Randall Frakes). If John were still mostly human, but knew he had the cybernetic infection, he would still have the ability to consciously make decisions and actions before all of his cells were altered. Meanwhile, Skynet is occupied with preparing one of multiple T-1000s to send back, the first to kill Sarah's parents, the second to 1984. My best idea here is that between the first T-1000 sent back, and the second, John was able to alter the T-800's CPU remotely with directives, wipe any relevant data that could jeopardize the timeline, then initiate the automated protocol that Skynet used to send the T-800 back before succumbing to the cybernetic infection and being assimilated.

But you know, that is just the fanboy in me breaking it down. There were a lot of things in this movie that proved that they did the correct research (Elements from the T2 Novel, James Cameron's centurion design, The Colorado Offensive (also from the T2 novel). For me it really paid homage to the first two films, and a lot of the ideas that Cameron wanted to show in the future, but was unable too because of his wife(thanks Gail Anne Hurd).

Just my $.02

I just saw the movie and came to a similar conclusion, only a little different. As Pops mentioned, it took a bit for the cellular cybernetic infection to completely replace all of Johns cells. Now because T2 is canon in this series, John already knows that he will also be sending back a reprogrammed T-800 to 1994 (Uncle Bob).

1995 ;)
Off topic: how is your Terminator fanfilm coming along? :)

1995 wouldn't make sense because "Uncle Bob" tells Sarah that in 3 years Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of military computers which would mean 1998 -but Judgement Day occurs in 1997. I assumed T2 was around 93 or 94.

Actually thinking more about it; John was concieved in May '84 so he wouldn't be 10 years old until at least Jan/Feb 1995.

Last edited:
The T2 timeline doesn't really work. The bottom line is they started shooting a 13yo kid in the John Connor role barely 6 years after T1 came out. It's fixed with some writing band-aids and a lot of "don't look too hard at this". They can call that kid 10yo but if that's true he should have been more like Phantom Menace Jake Lloyd. Furlong's John Connor was adolescent in every way except script technicality.

The whole franchise has problems when you get right down to it. The timing always been stretched between two conflicting pulls: A tech-oriented future that needs more time to happen, versus a man who ages too quickly to be in his prime for the future human revolt. John Connor's birth is pinned at 1985. The dystopian future cannot be pushed any later than the early 2000's because of Kyle Reese's life story.

This problem has been there since Cameron brainstormed the whole thing up in 1982. Even a clean-slate reboot of the franchise would not fix this without some major rewrites. They could change all the dates on the calendars but the basic issue remains: John Connor was born in a pre-apoc world familiar to us. Skynet is scary enough to cause a nuclear apocalypse & destroy humanity barely 20-30 years after that.

Last edited:
1995 wouldn't make sense because "Uncle Bob" tells Sarah that in 3 years Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of military computers which would mean 1998 -but Judgement Day occurs in 1997. I assumed T2 was around 93 or 94.

Actually thinking more about it; John was concieved in May '84 so he wouldn't be 10 years old until at least Jan/Feb 1995.

John was born Feb 28th 1985, he is stated to be 10 years old.... so it's quite simple really :p as stated by the police computer the T-1000 looks at, in the beginning of the film ;)
It is more likely that uncle Bob is wrong when he says in 3 years since we know for a fact that Kyle gets Sarah preggers in 1984. Who knows maybe the 1997 date for judgment day was wrong. The only source for it is Sarah essentially. We never hear it in the first film.

Skynet is scary enough to cause a nuclear apocalypse & destroy humanity barely 20-30 years after that.

Skynet is a real mean machine :p

Bummer all the sequels post-T2 turned skynet into a lame-butt BEYOND stupid AI.

Yeah hence:

Uncle Bob gives a precise time and date when Skynet became self aware - he has detailed files :) - and I dont think Skynet wasted much time in launching the nukes JD must have been August 29th 1997.

1995 ;)
Off topic: how is your Terminator fanfilm coming along? :)

Fanfilm is still moving along, but due to a number of complications it had to take a break for a minute. We should have a trailer to show by October to start crowdfunding, as well as the ten minute proof of concept short that acts as the starter to the whole story (Similar to what was done in Kung Fury). As far as we can tell, we can completely crowdfund this movie with no violation of rights as long as we don't make any profit. Our plan is to give away costumes and props after production in trade for donations. The bigger the donation, the better the costume or prop you will receive. Our goal is to be as faithful to the future war scenes in T1 and T2.

I'll be posting some more about this under the original thread soon.

Also, we can tear the errors in the Terminator franchise apart as much as we want, and it won't change anything until time displacement equipment is created and one of us goes back to 1982 to explain it all to Cameron before he goes into production with Terminator.:lol

First of all, I really enjoyed Terminator Genesis. I have a few thoughts.

I realized that this is the first Arnold T800 to survive at the end of the movie.

But since that happened, shouldn't John and Sarah have realized that, since Genesis/Skynet was destroyed before judgment day, that the newly upgraded Arnold T1000 should never exist now? Shouldn't he have vanished in front of their eyes? And, since he is still there with them, doesn't this imply that Skynet still exists in some form or will exist in some form?

Remember at the end of Terminator 2, John Conner threw the old terminator arm and the CPU chip into the molten metal to destroy them. The Arnold T800 stated that he had to be destroyed to wipe out his CPU Chip, so that the no future technology was left that could be exploited and still give rise to Skynet.

??????

If the first 3 movies constitute one storyline, either the Resistance and Skynet repeatedly regain control over the time travel chamber from the other (T-800, Kyle Reese, T-1000. good T-800, Terminatrix, good T-800) - or Skynet has multiple chambers, and John keeps capturing them and sending back someone to prevent whatever Skynet planned to do in the past.

If my theory is correct, Skynet/evil John sent Pops back to protect Sarah. If so, Pops would probably have directives not to even consider letting himself be terminated, in case Skynet needed a last ditch means to survive.

I'd love to work out a theory that Sarah and Reese fall in love, but have a girl rather than a boy. Somehow Skynet manages to kill Sarah and Pops, and Kyle takes the girl, named Sarah, back in time. Kyle is killed by a T-1000 when little Sarah is 9 years old, and she's saved by the arrival of a T-800. That however, would lead to a very creepy Oedipus-like ending...:sick

If the first 3 movies constitute one storyline, either the Resistance and Skynet repeatedly regain control over the time travel chamber from the other (T-800, Kyle Reese, T-1000. good T-800, Terminatrix, good T-800) - or Skynet has multiple chambers, and John keeps capturing them and sending back someone to prevent whatever Skynet planned to do in the past.

If my theory is correct, Skynet/evil John sent Pops back to protect Sarah. If so, Pops would probably have directives not to even consider letting himself be terminated, in case Skynet needed a last ditch means to survive.

I'd love to work out a theory that Sarah and Reese fall in love, but have a girl rather than a boy. Somehow Skynet manages to kill Sarah and Pops, and Kyle takes the girl, named Sarah, back in time. Kyle is killed by a T-1000 when little Sarah is 9 years old, and she's saved by the arrival of a T-800. That however, would lead to a very creepy Oedipus-like ending...:sick

Oldboy...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back