Teen Groot: Infinity War - WIP - Pic Heavy

BobbyFromBUF

Active Member
Okay. Thanks everyone for your patience. I started off the build of the body by acquiring a green morph suit and some cheap rubber rain boots.

I also bought a small toy figure to help inspire me. The toy was less than $10.

I started by setting the boots on EVA foam mats. I traced the footprint of the boot far enough from the edge to give me enough extra to draw the shape of Groot's footprint.

Then I cut out the base and the center outline of the boot footprints.
 

Attachments

  • FB_IMG_1624468147597.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624468147597.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 26

BobbyFromBUF

Active Member
I attached the EVA foam Groot footprints to the rain boots using Barge contact cement.

You'll notice I added straps to the top of the boots in case I wanted to be able to tighten them around my legs, but now that it's finished I can't imagine ever using those straps. So, feel free to skip this step.
 

BobbyFromBUF

Active Member
Before I started attaching more foam to the boots I used my table-top beltsander to sand down strips of EVA foam. I used that and a Dremel tool to creat details in the foam that would resemble tree bark.

As I attached each piece to the boots I painstakingly shaped each piece of foam to make the edges softer and more organic looking.
 

BobbyFromBUF

Active Member
From there I built out the boots and moved on to the morphsuit. To create the bark-like layers on the morphsuit I attached strips of brown fleece with high temperature hot glue. In most cases I drew lines on the morphsuit where I wanted to attach fleece, and then cut the fleece to match the pattern.

I have a hyperlapse video of me working on attaching the fleece to the morphsuit. I'll link that in the next post...

IMG_20210701_113303.jpg


I guess I forgot to mention this, but I already have a "duct-tape-dummy" of myself. I created this a while back, and it allows me work on my costumes without constantly having to try them on.

In the case of Teen Groot I would say that this is 100% necessary to complete the costume using my technique. So, if you don't already have a duct-tape-dummy please search for a tutorial on creating one....
 

BobbyFromBUF

Active Member
Here is the link to the video of me attaching the fleece strips to the morphsuit. As you can imagine, this took quite a long time. I'm not certain, but definitely more than 8 hours of working time.

 

BobbyFromBUF

Active Member
For the hands, I used cheap gardening gloves, black hockey (athletic) tape, and regular household electrical wire (I believe it was 14 gauge) and more strips of fleece.

I used the hockey tape to attach the wire to the gloves to create elongated fingers. After that I attached strips of fleece using hot glue to make the gloves look like vines.

Once all the fleece was attached to the entire costume I coated all the fleece with liquid latex.
IMG_20210701_230919.jpg
 

BobbyFromBUF

Active Member
Once all the fleece was attached I coated all the fleece (and even some of the spaces in between) with liquid latex.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20210701_113303.jpg
    IMG_20210701_113303.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 25

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top