Teaser: My new lightsaber "working" blade

Really cool.

Originally posted by hyperdyne@Aug 31 2005, 11:49 AM
Update:  A new Bluetooth wireless sound module has been designed, as well as an in-the-hilt sound board w/ speaker.
[snapback]1069005[/snapback]​

How is the in-hilt sound? Can you post a demo of the sound loop of something, or a vid of it in action with sound on? Also, how far can bluetooth reach?

Bright, Cool, Bright... did I mention Bright :)

THe blade is so cool. Just wondering tho I know it IS a PROTOTYPE but I noticed in the vid that there are some dark patches throughout the red. was that just video problems?

Anyways VERY VERY COOL
KC

Thanks everyone. Work is still being done here, sorry for the lack of updates.

The in-the-hilt soundboard is being manufactured now. I hope to have a demo up soon. The bluetooth version should also get a demo. The clear air range of this bluetooth module is maxed at 300ft. :)

The dark areas in the demo video were due to the uneven paint on the tube. I hope to get some better shots as time permits. The red blade now is much more uniform in color.

Rather than painting the tube did you think about sanding it dull?

How would that diffuse the light? It seems like it would let more of the light get through.

FB

Perhaps, rather than sanding, which tends to have uneven results as well, you could sand-blast it, or use that acid-etch goop. I definately don't think paint is the way to go; it'll flake off, or be shocked off by fighting with the blades...that's something to keep in mind.

-E

Yeah, sanding the polycarb tube has given pretty nice results so far. I can imagine sandblasting it would even be better and result in a more even finish. I am looking into getting some tubes sandblasted. So far the frosting effect from sanding looks good.

I was thinking of sanding the inside of the tube. That way hitting and scratching the outside wouldn't mess up the look.

I've sanded the inside of metal pipes that were really long before and it's not to hard. I'm sure it would be the same for Polycarbonate tubes as well.

FB

Freaking Fantastic...the video of the blue blade is one of the nicest things I've ever seen. Keep up the great work Hyperdyne. You're a genius bro.

Thanks. I hope to get the sound board protos back this week. Along with the bluetooth sound module and in-the-hilt sound module, I also am playing around with a "deluxe" self contained in-the-hilt sound board (that still uses an in-the-hilt speaker). The difference is this version can be programmed to automatically handle swing sound playback, clash sounds, and lockup sounds - no extra buttons or user intervention needed. Everything is computed onboard the sound module, and the proper sounds are played back based on motion of the saber (sound familiar :) ).

BTW, if there is a way to sandblast the inside of the saber I would love to hear about it. That may be a great way to go.

Hey thanks guys. Progress has been slow, due to the busy upcoming Halloween season. I havent had much free time to dedicate to updates, it might have to wait until after October. My last blade looked good, just need to work on a hilt.

Good news is that I got the bluetooth sound module up and running. I am also working on the stand alone board - I found a very cool new IC I might be using.
It is quite awesome, plus I am also going to get a 2nd bluetooth board made to play with dueling wireless modules. If that all goes well it will be added to my web site. The bluetooth modules should be much cheaper too..

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back