Perhaps, rather than sanding, which tends to have uneven results as well, you could sand-blast it, or use that acid-etch goop. I definately don't think paint is the way to go; it'll flake off, or be shocked off by fighting with the blades...that's something to keep in mind.
Yeah, sanding the polycarb tube has given pretty nice results so far. I can imagine sandblasting it would even be better and result in a more even finish. I am looking into getting some tubes sandblasted. So far the frosting effect from sanding looks good.
Thanks. I hope to get the sound board protos back this week. Along with the bluetooth sound module and in-the-hilt sound module, I also am playing around with a "deluxe" self contained in-the-hilt sound board (that still uses an in-the-hilt speaker). The difference is this version can be programmed to automatically handle swing sound playback, clash sounds, and lockup sounds - no extra buttons or user intervention needed. Everything is computed onboard the sound module, and the proper sounds are played back based on motion of the saber (sound familiar ).
BTW, if there is a way to sandblast the inside of the saber I would love to hear about it. That may be a great way to go.
Hey thanks guys. Progress has been slow, due to the busy upcoming Halloween season. I havent had much free time to dedicate to updates, it might have to wait until after October. My last blade looked good, just need to work on a hilt.
Good news is that I got the bluetooth sound module up and running. I am also working on the stand alone board - I found a very cool new IC I might be using.
It is quite awesome, plus I am also going to get a 2nd bluetooth board made to play with dueling wireless modules. If that all goes well it will be added to my web site. The bluetooth modules should be much cheaper too..