Teaser: My new lightsaber "working" blade

:lol @ king. Thanks man.

Thomas, the nonuniformity is due to my lackluster spray painting job. :) Like I said, I didnt have proper diffusion material so I took a polycarb blade and spray painted it white. It appears I didnt get the paint uniform across the entire blade with 2 coats of rush work. Although when you look at it the thing is pure white. I concluded that you need at least 4 coats of paint to get enough coverage to rid of these artifacts since the lighting amplifies any gradients in the paint job. I chalk it up as part of the R&D effort. :thumbsup

I can't wait until I get to see these in person.

If you need someone to duel against just let me know. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work, sounds like not only with the blade, but all around.. I will definitely be watching for updates, and I think you can count on significant interest from this board, myself included.

hyperdyne can you post a video clip.
I love the look,the blade is a little on th skinney side,but its all good.

I was also wandereng if you would be willing to sell some in the future..

Originally posted by forcefx@Aug 12 2005, 11:52 AM
hyperdyne can you post a video clip.
I love the look,the blade is a little on th skinney side,but its all good.

I was also wandereng if you would be willing to sell some in the future..
[snapback]1056317[/snapback]​

Skinny?? You're just used to seeing that Chunk-O-Plexi that MR uses for their sabers. :lol

hey hyperdyne,

you mentioned that you were trying to make the definative saber blades that have all the good stuff of all the different kinds, and they look awesome, i was just wondering about the tip...

you mentioned that you were waiting for optical endcaps, is that the same thing used on EL blades?

most EL blades have the little stopper (usually red or orange) and that is one thing that i think (one of the only things) that looks better about the MR FX the newer 5th generation tips actually glow a bit and look better IMHO than the flat EL endcaps.

so my question is, how are you dealing with the tips???

and also, is it possible to use that diffusion material to make a curved dome to go in the tip to try and keep the light consistent throughout.

not trying to nitpick... just curious, and also please PM me about any availability etc. info thanks.

keep up the great work, and keep us posted.

hyperdyne you are a genius.

Can you imagine going to opening night at one of the Star Wars flicks, everyone with a blade dueling near the screen with their light sabers... Then you unleash yours on them...
The force is strong with you. :D

I will post a video up soon. I have to redo them since the current videos I have show off some of the things I am working on but am not ready to release. ;)

As for the tips, I havent come up with a final design yet. At first I was going to use a industrial grade optical mirror to reflect light back down the tube, but the results werent as good as I expected. I need to experiment more. I attribute it to most of the light already being diffused in the tube, as well as the lack of coherent light at the mirror. I am now looking at acrylic hemispheres for the tip, since this will look correct and also illuminate using the existing lights. I dont think you will need any diffusion material at the tip since there is so much light emanating from the blade and the acrylic will refract the incoming light anyhow.

Just wanted to add a brain-blip I got (I'd call it a brainstorm, but its not that amazing a thought): Seeing this, if the electronics are this bright, and it is durable (made for dueling), anyone else thinking Blade Runner Umbrella?

gnrlotto, great minds think alike. :)

That was actually my next project with this same board set. Basically I was thinking a 12" light rod for an umbrella - in different colors too. I have been wanting one of those, and so my motive was twofold when designing this kit. A nice bright saber and umbrella kit. :lol

Originally posted by gnrlotto@Aug 12 2005, 11:00 PM
Just wanted to add a brain-blip I got (I'd call it a brainstorm, but its not that amazing a thought):  Seeing this, if the electronics are this bright, and it is durable (made for dueling), anyone else thinking Blade Runner Umbrella?
[snapback]1056472[/snapback]​

Oh you have to make one of those, I'm still gutted from losing out on one from used in the film. Please Please Please :lol

:confused What... No Production.... :confused

Dude,.. I've been holding off on a Parks Ech...

Hook us up, one day you will, I hope..

Snoose

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back