T-Rex Bust - WIP

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
I'm in the process of getting this T-Rex bust (from Prop-Builder) ready for paint. It arrived in four pieces: head, tongue (both foam filled), and upper and lower jaw.

Img_0278.jpg

Size comparison to a Predator Bio Helmet:

Img_0286.jpg

First task: cut the lower jaw off with a dremel and then remove all the foam from the head. The saw was inserted in the Rex's jugular for dramatic purposes, and then used to remove the majority of the foam from the inside.

Img_0288.jpg

Test fitting the jaw with the teeth inserted:

Img_0306.jpg

I then used plumbers epoxy to set the lower jaw back onto the bust. It said it would set in 20 minutes, but I ended up holding the jaw in place for 2 hours while it hardened haha!

Img_0310.jpg

Then I used Apoxie Sculpt (love this stuff!) to fill in the gaps and create the membrane inside the mouth. As it dried, I textured the skin.

3.jpg

Img_0319.jpg

Now it's ready for another coat of primer and then paint!

Img_0325.jpg

Seen it on the Lair and it's really a beautiful piece. I'm not worried about the painting of the mouth, everything PredatrHuntr touch become gold !!!

I'm glad you have more faith in me than I do lol!!! Yes putting the lower jaw on without painting it was dumb, but dammit I had to see what it looked like and couldn't wait! Glad I did cause looking at this guy now makes the hair on my neck stand on end...love it!

maybe this thread will push me to put mine together

ditto :lol

Thanks for putting up step by step photos. Been meaning to tackle this bad boy for a while but am always put off by thinking about having to cut off the lower jaw and what a disaster it could turn out to be. You're giving me confidence. :thumbsup

WOW !!! :confused
As i said, i was sure a few days ago it will become a masterpiece... The future talked for me !!
Jason you really have talented skills for paint !!! Each time i see your "workbench thread" on the lair, i'm astonished !!
Keep the good job mate, your work is very inspiring for me ... :thumbsup

Thanks for all the kind words! I wish I could have used glass eyes to make it more realistic, but I just didn't have the budget for it. Hopefully I can get my hands on a nice wooden plaque and mount this bad boy on the wall ;)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back