SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

Never made it to the 10th floor...just taking what I heard. Though assuming from this thread, everything is "Grain of Salt" category sooo...

Taken from the Dragon*con Official Livejournal, 'Pros and Cons' thread dragoncon: MASTER POST FOR REVIEWS AND FEEDBACK

Also, a certain cosplay focused "Reality" tv show and certain "famous" cosplayers essentially took over a good portion of the Marriott tenth floor on Saturday, displacing previously scheduled photoshoots and telling people they "had" to leave, AND blocking/holding up elevators to take footage of their stars in the elevators. I REALLY hope this was not done with the con/hotel's permission, considering the state of the elevators as is and the ****ty message that sends to the fandoms that were displaced and had their photoshoots totally disrupted.

Maybe it was an actual photoshoot they were talking about and were confused? Have no clue, still though.

Never made it to the 10th floor...just taking what I heard. Though assuming from this thread, everything is "Grain of Salt" category sooo...

Taken from the Dragon*con Official Livejournal, 'Pros and Cons' thread dragoncon: MASTER POST FOR REVIEWS AND FEEDBACK

It for sure wasn't the show. Just like Riki said, we finished shooting in Kansas City. Jessica and I were at PAX during Dragon Con. :)

Also, a certain cosplay focused "Reality" tv show and certain "famous" cosplayers essentially took over a good portion of the Marriott tenth floor on Saturday, displacing previously scheduled photoshoots and telling people they "had" to leave, AND blocking/holding up elevators to take footage of their stars in the elevators. I REALLY hope this was not done with the con/hotel's permission, considering the state of the elevators as is and the ****ty message that sends to the fandoms that were displaced and had their photoshoots totally disrupted.

Maybe it was an actual photoshoot they were talking about and were confused? Have no clue, still though.

The show wasn't filming at Dragon Con. Jessica and I weren't even there, we were at PAX and the last shoot was in Kansas City. :)

Ooookay, so, let's reframe this: What happened on floor 10 of DragonCon involving Yaya Han and a hundred or so displaced Homestucks? If you don't know, I can understand not answering, but they were under the impression that it was a photoshoot for Heroes of Cosplay. I'm only asking because I'd like to know the truth instead of the rumors that went around (I don't even know if it was that many cosplayers who were displaced, I only know it happened at 6pm on Saturday.)

Last edited:
We actually got a few seconds of air time on Heroes of Cosplay and it was nice to see our suits on the Television Screen. We originally were not going to be in the competition, but SyFy pleaded with us to enter the group category. Five minutes before we took the stage they told us we needed to do a skit. What the hell is a skit?? Iron Man doesn’t do skits! LOL It was a huge pain and we had our fair share of the crazy action, but there we are on the TV Screen. Here’s a little snippet of RPF member (Me), Judge_Hellfast (War Machine) and the rest of the IBOT Team from IBOT –Iron Brothers of Topeka! HOME - IBOT -Iron Brothers of Topeka

Those were really bad*ss!!! I'm not a big Iron Man fan beyond the movies, but when those came on I was impressed.

I read the article linked that the female Doctor wrote, and while I can sympathize I also have this thought: Okay, so your hometown Con is a smaller one. But to exclude any contestant because they are from out of town is crazy.

What if these female Doctors lived in San Diego, and they only had a few hundred dollars to make costumes and they can't afford to go to out-of-town Cons so the San Diego Comic-con was the only one they went to, would they be upset because there were out-of-towners competing against them at the Masquerade? What if they lived local to Atlanta and it was only DC where they competed?

Conventions draw a crowd and people drive in from all over, it's how Cons work.

That whole thing was added in post -_-. Hence why reality tv is stupid. ANOTHER POV here:
http://itmightbehere.tumblr.com/post/61563141082/a-reminder-that-reality-tv-is-staged

One that's far more sincere and to the point, I think. Reality tv is good for no one. It makes everyone involved look bad. I think that's what they were aiming at here. I never trust the producers of anything to do with "reality" -_-.

That whole thing was added in post -_-. Hence why reality tv is stupid. ANOTHER POV here:
In Cas we trust

One that's far more sincere and to the point, I think. Reality tv is good for no one. It makes everyone involved look bad. I think that's what they were aiming at here. I never trust the producers of anything to do with "reality" -_-.

I'm curious as you and others seem pretty livid about the entire show and I'd really like to understand your perspective. What is it about the show that is so detestable to you? Why does this particular show strike such a bitter chord or is it simply reality tv in general? if so why?

I ask because a lot of the complaints I have seen have been in regards to Heroes of Cosplay showing "the craft" in a negative light or that the show portrays Cosplayers negatively. However from what I understand this show only focuses on competitive cosplay, which seems to be a very small minority compared to those who costume for the sake of the art itself. Or am I wrong and costume contests are a very large part of Props and Costuming?

Totally off-topic, but what is 'Homestuck'.

I tried looking it up, even on Urban Dictionary, but I couldn't find a Costuming/Cosplay definition.

Totally off-topic, but what is 'Homestuck'.

I tried looking it up, even on Urban Dictionary, but I couldn't find a Costuming/Cosplay definition.

Yeah, what Spacebat said. Also, because of the age of the characters, it tends to be very popular with highschoolers, which means the Heroes of Cosplay tag on tumblr is completely flooded with that fandom complaining about how the show doesn't represent the younger "true" cosplayers.

All the same, I wouldn't want anyone inconvenienced at a con, and if what was rumored to have happened actually did happen, that would be kind of sad.

In a few minutes I'll have an update for what happened at Anime Matsuri from one of the judges.

No matter what someone would complain about the show whether it's the teen cosplayers or the adult costumers that the show just didn't represent their age group or the drama was amped up. To be fair the costumes on the show went way above the average thrown together teenager costume. These guys aren't beginners. A lot of the really good cosplayers are in their 20s because they got the skills and money to go that extra step.

I'm not mad about the show at all. I took it for what it was, entertainment. Plus you have to give some credit to the producers who could have just followed suit and did a show making fun of the people.

This show kept me entertained. This is the most I've watch Syfy-lis in a while. I'd be thrilled if they did another season. And no, it isn't going to have a negative effect on the hobby.

Comic Con in danger of folding due to lack of cosplayers. Insiders blame the reality series, Heroes of Cosplay for the decline. :lol

I really liked seeing costume builds that I followed on the RPF show up on the show. It was like seeing a friend get interviewed on the news!

I asked a girl to flip my seams once. :)
She slapped me.... :(
:lol

ANOTHER POV here:
In Cas we trust

Thanks for posting that link. So glad we have such a 'small' and interconnected community so we can see all sides.

This really stuck out to me:

"Then someone in the audience shouts something along the lines of “Everyone who wasn’t a plant did great!”

No one said anything about out-of-towners. It was total crap. PCC has always been welcome to people from everywhere. That line was ADDED for drama and to make PCC look bad..."

I kind of expected that some of the cast member drama would be faked but never that Syfy would voice over people who were not in the cast.

So grateful to this thread where we can process this show together with those of you who were at these cons (or links from them) and especially those from the cast who are popping in to clarify what you witnessed and as much as you can, what you experienced.

Once more I am convinced of the exploitative nature of 'Reality TV'...

I've said my opinions on the show earlier in the thread, without being catty or rash towards those involved.

What I will say is I did love seeing the building of all of the costumes. Crabcat being some of my favorite, watching them build the Kaiju and the Galaxy Quest Alien. Being that I'm trying to get into bigger costume making, this is a treat to see. Learning about what types of leather and materials Jesse used in his Kenway costume was also pretty great.

What I don't like is tv-spun drama...which is unfortunately REAL LIFE drama. I've dealt with it on too many occasions in the costuming world. And while undeniably true, I still don't like witnessing it. I might have joined in, in my earlier days, but as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that friendship and learning reigns supreme over cattiness and being cold and mean to others. The objectifying and singling out of others...that really bothers me. I know that the show was divided between the girls and I don't think that's a good message to get across. Of course not everyone will always get along, but still. Sucks to see it play out. I love watching Face Off and Project Runway...but I skip the parts where they go back to their apartments and the drama inflates. I love watching people make things.

But, as most people have stated, that doesn't make for "entertaining television". So I'll just come to this board or look up some YouTube tutorials when I need to watch or learn something.

I liked watching this mostly because of all the awesome costumes I could see. I've always wanted to make costumes and cosplay so watching people make their own costumes and wearing them got me super excited about making my own xD. So far I've only used stuff I own and make it look like who I'm cosplaying as and I just want to learn how to make my own for the cons that are near me. I definitely won't be able to travel to different cons in different states. Good thing there's at least two of which I know of here.

Wow, I don't check the thread for a couple days and it explodes.

I don't know about the others, but the bad things I said (and I hope it wasn't much) were mostly me lashing out at the show in general because when I started watching it I was expecting something different, so I apologize if I upset anyone. Except reality show producers, screw those guys. Like a lot of other people have said that is because we are not the intended audience. The only reality show I will keep watching is "Total Drama Island". Not everything, or much it seems, is going to be another "This Old House" type of show. I'm glad that the intended audience is becoming interested and stopping by places like The RPF though.

For those of us that are interested in the actual "how to", we will have to rely on each others build threads and YouTube, things like "Mad Monster Lab" (which I really miss).

I guess we all agree; the show is bad and no one should watch it. We've all gotten our opinions off our chests, and all I've got say is: "Well, that was fun ... Now we can all go back to doing something important."

I know we filmed a ton more process behind the costumes than the show aired. We also were given diary cams for filming when they couldent be there. I saved all of my footage. I am hoping to be able to post it soon.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back