SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I suspect creative editing, for the sake of the show and to add a little controversy, might be making a few look bad. I am sure Victoria is more involved than they let on. I am sure they edited her response a bit to make it look like she was tongue-tied.

But over all, I have seen so many people in this community, with such great costume builds and talent, that I am shocked that this is the group they could pull together. I honestly expected more elaborate and professional builds.

I am still mildly entertained watching though :lol

I was wondering where this thread was.

Art it's a "Reality" show they are going to take every pot shot they can and make them look bad.

I was surprised the way they depicted Victoria and Yaya ok no I was'nt. :lol

Over all I was not impressed I hope they portray our own a little better than last night.

When are the T- shirts Jinyo was wearing come out!? :lol

:lol Right! :lol

One thing that bugged me was the guy with the Steam-Punk Stormtrooper.

I mean it's good to have dreams and ambitions but it is also good to be firmly rooted in reality.

Hoping some Propmaker is going to see your work and give you a Job and you will live happily ever after will never happen.

And he states that every time the camera is on him.
I think he went into this thinking it is his big break and stepping stone, and that just being on the show will get him work afterwards.... So he keeps mentioning it. :lol
Plus his build was just taking storm trooper armor, painting it copper color, adding goggles and leather accents... Then he keeps bragging to the camera how he is a shoe in to win :lol

:lol Right! :lol

One thing that bugged me was the guy with the Steam-Punk Stormtrooper.

I mean it's good to have dreams and ambitions but it is also good to be firmly rooted in reality.

Hoping some Propmaker is going to see your work and give you a Job and you will live happily ever after will never happen.

Clearly the producers' tricks are working, judging from the community responses on this forum and on Facebook.

Planted Lines + Editing Room = Controversy = Viewership

So I finally saw 'Heroes of Cosplay' last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what all the negative hub-bub that I've seen online regarding this show is all about.:(
This TV show highlights a handful of costumers, their struggles to get their suits ready, its debut and sure....some drama makes it to air too.

-Drama?
SHOCKING, I know right? ....Big whoop...it's a TV show so naturally that aspect will inevitably work its way into some episodes.:popcorn

Still, no matter how things are edited and twisted in an effort to create 'drama'...I suppose the producers would not be able to do that if certain things or phrases were never spoken in the first place....but still, it's a TV show about Costuming...you know, that 'thing' that most of us here and our FB friends share in common? Yes...That 'thing' we all love so much.

Costuming...look how far it's come in the last 10 years. Heck, I'm even starting to use the word 'Cosplay' without gagging now....and that's a pretty big leap for me because I love costuming, but hate the word cosplay.

In any case, do you remember as a kid being teased for liking Star Wars, or being picked on for drawing Batman pictures...I sure do, and now all these years later the world has changed, and we as 'geeks' literally have 'our' world at our fingertips....we've not only got incredible themed conventions and great friends that share in this same passion...but also a TV show that documents the lives of some awesome costumers....some of which are friends of ours too.(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I for one am digging this show, and am proud of my friends that are on it.

:cool:D

David

Still, no matter how things are edited and twisted in an effort to create 'drama'...I suppose the producers would not be able to do that if certain things or phrases were never spoken in the first place....

'Reality' actors are given lines for key scenes and do multiple takes, pretty common practice.

All the reality shows share the same plot arcs on each episode. They have everyone wondering whether they are good enough to (fill in the blank). There are the established 'heros' and the wannabes, and the obviously inadequate people; and, like the SteamPunk guy, the delusional.

All this is scripted. The characters are selected to represent a broad spectrum of the community the show is aimed at. Empathy for the characters is ginned-up by scripting what I call false jeopardy (OH, my GOD! My costume will never get done! Why won't the lights work?) They are developing YaYa as a kind of evil queen manipulating the other cast members to maintain her place at the top of the pecking order. It is working well on most shows, so I guess the audience is falling for the fact that it is really "reality". Once I figure out the format and the scripting, I weary of the show very quickly.

One of the things I find interesting is that the show is ostensibly about CosPlay and costume construction, but they show very little detailed shots of the actual costumes and focus on the angst and weeping and ego destruction!

I have been watching FaceOff as well. Same premise, same character mix. Same false jeopardy, same ego destruction, etc.

Good points, Sourdoh. Not to get too off topic, but I'll tell you one reality show that has done an excellent job of taking a different approach: Top Shot. In past seasons they have progressively gotten worse and worse about focusing on drama instead of what the show is supposed to be about. I don't know what happened this season, but they did an about face, even changing the way contestants are eliminated (previously it involved a group vote which generated a lot of drama) and are almost solely focusing on the shooting itself and each contestant's skillset. I am so impressed by this and it really makes for a quality show that is worth watching. I would really like to see more shows take this approach.

Last edited:
I read that the producers were pressuring judges at contests to give prizes to the stars of the show rather than those who earned the awards.

Like how the Lydia and Steam Trooper thought they were better than the Dranae Mage from WoW. They weren't even CLOSE to the level of effort he put into his costume.

I'll pass on this after seeing an episode last night. Garbage.

We will see.

This could go a few different ways, we may see our friends made fools of, or we may eventually find out how much they "sold" out to be made a mockery of.

I for one am digging this show, and am proud of my friends that are on it.

Victoria definitely runs a one-man sweatshop.

That actually made me laugh. Good job.

That steam punk guy annoys me. All the points everyone has brought up about him are so true. The guy takes preexisting stuff and modifies it. Nothing original.

The judging is the only thing that surprised me on this show. I thought for sure the people of that episode would be top 3 but that hasn't been the case yet. I wonder how long it'll take before the producers start lining the judges pockets to get their people in the top spots.

Totally with Sourdoh and Art on this one. Top Shot is a good example of a reality show that dropped the BS and got back to business. I have specifically gone out of my way to avoid Heroes of Cosplay because I knew what we were in for. Artificially created drama forced to a boil because the people involved live by the phrase "It makes for good TV."

Reasons why I refused to watch it: Because I knew they'd be stirring the pot by making a show about all the hot girls and drama.

Reasons I would watch it: Show professionals like DAVIDYR1 whose work went beyond fan and into full-blown business success.

Reasons I regret I didn't watch it: Jinyo? Dude. You were on this show? I'm sorry I missed that now.

@ Scareb

So far, that's the only thing about the show that seems 100% legit. I guess since these contests are public events, there's no way to guarantee the show's stars are going to win.

Totally with Sourdoh and Art on this one. Top Shot is a good example of a reality show that dropped the BS and got back to business. I have specifically gone out of my way to avoid Heroes of Cosplay because I knew what we were in for. Artificially created drama forced to a boil because the people involved live by the phrase "It makes for good TV."

Reasons why I refused to watch it: Because I knew they'd be stirring the pot by making a show about all the hot girls and drama.

Reasons I would watch it: Show professionals like DAVIDYR1 whose work went beyond fan and into full-blown business success.

Reasons I regret I didn't watch it: Jinyo? Dude. You were on this show? I'm sorry I missed that now.

Jinyo was on the first two episodes and will probably be for the rest of the season. Victoria, his GF, is one of the main cosplayers on the show, and since he helps with all her builds, you should be able to catch him on future shows.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back