SW Ep. III ROTS "Broken Heart" Theory

DARTH ANIBAL

Sr Member
I can do without the prequels, but I'll admit that ROTS was the strongest of the 3. I found this theory interesting, in that it doesn't rely so much on headcanon, and cites the actual events of the movie. I always saw the symbolism in Vader being "born", as Padme was dying, but I never went as far as putting some of these points together and considering that he lived because she died. While I don't believe Lucas was writing this conclusion with that much depth in mind, it works for me, and makes this ending more palatable, with the added bonus of lending a bit of weight to the whole, "You don't know the power of the Dark Side. I MUST obey my master."

http://www.retrozap.com/padme-didnt-...-broken-heart/

Last edited by a moderator:
She died cause her babies took her strength and energy. Her body was damaged from the attack and stress of all the crap that web down. So the body gave / pushed its life to support the babies. This way they would survive and not be a miscarriage. It's the crazy way a parent can lift a car up to get their child out from under it. The body reacts in a way to do what ever it needs to save what is at danger. The parent can't explain it and science says its a rush to push the body beyond it's limits to preserve something greater than then their own life / body. Sadly it cause her body to give up its life to produce 2..the twins.

paletine was smiling cause once he knew she was dead. Their was nothing left in vaders life to stop him emotionally. So he just got himself what he always wanted. The most powerful Jedi / sith killing machine with no compassion and full of anger / revenge for those that took / denied him is love ones. How did he know she was dead? Spies man, the old dude had enough ppl all over to place to fed him info.

She died cause her babies took her strength and energy. Her body was damaged from the attack and stress of all the crap that web down. So the body gave / pushed its life to support the babies. This way they would survive and not be a miscarriage. It's the crazy way a parent can lift a car up to get their child out from under it. The body reacts in a way to do what ever it needs to save what is at danger. The parent can't explain it and science says its a rush to push the body beyond it's limits to preserve something greater than then their own life / body. Sadly it cause her body to give up its life to produce 2..the twins.

paletine was smiling cause once he knew she was dead. Their was nothing left in vaders life to stop him emotionally. So he just got himself what he always wanted. The most powerful Jedi / sith killing machine with no compassion and full of anger / revenge for those that took / denied him is love ones. How did he know she was dead? Spies man, the old dude had enough ppl all over to place to fed him info.

Spies who didn't tell him that two Jedi were there and which ship they left on? Pretty bad spies, if you ask me...

I clicked the link ready to roll my eyes hard enough to hurt myself, but the author actually makes some pretty interesting points. Out of the prequels, I agree that Sith is the strongest story-wise. I'll need to give it another watch and see how well this theory fits.

I always thought it was damage from the force choke not the silly broken heart stuff. This is an interesting theory though.

Well, let's see. She was choked for a few seconds and found out her husband was a murderer. Granted that's a lot for a pregnant woman to deal with, but let's have some mothers chime in. I'm sure there are many women in this world who have gone through a whole lot more during pregnancy and still delivered healthy children and lived to tell the tale.

It's interesting, but I doubt there's any Force power that can siphon someone's life force way across the galaxy. Besides there's real world evidence that you can actually die from a broken heart. Of course those people are usually elderly. I think they should have had Anakin Force choke her way longer so it would have made more sense that she had major physical damage. That or maybe instead throw her across the room in anger instead of choking.

I actually like this too.

It's already a good theory. But IMO the author hasn't even thought big enough yet.

The "broken heart" bit never smelled quite right to me for the simple reason that Palpatine NEEDED to get rid of Padme. From his viewpoint she's a major bad (good) influence on Anakin. She & the kids are the strongest force pulling him away from the Dark side.

This would make more sense if we ever saw Palpatine or any other sith kill anyone else like that.

We saw Vader choke people long distance over the TV, and we saw Palps lightning people almost to death, but not once did we see either of them just suck someone's life away, no matter where they were in the universe.

I mean why even spend ANH looking for the rebel base when you can just kill everyone there with a thought?

Why spend ESB looking for Luke when he can be killed as easily as remembering to tape a program tonight?

Maybe it had something to do with him (Palpatine) personally knowing and having some access to Padme. Like, perhaps he couldn't just will a bunch of unknowns to their deaths, but he could focus this power on a specific person. Plus, he didn't want to kill Luke, at least, not after Vader suggested he could be turned. "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural." ;) Who knows? Again, I don't actually think Lucas thought it through like this, but it's a neat theory that fits, and adds a cool dimension to that part of the story.

Since we know from the movies that Liea remembers her mother, it seems that at least her force abilities existed in some form from birth, possibly Luke's too.

For all we know the kids could have been inadvertently sending images of their fathers transformation into Vader directly into Padme's brain through the umbilical cord, which might also explain why she didn't want to live.

This is what I was thinking while reading the piece but I was looking at it from the other side of the coin.

Since we know from the movies that Liea remembers her mother, it seems that at least her force abilities existed in some form from birth, possibly Luke's too.

For all we know the kids could have been inadvertently sending images of their fathers transformation into Vader directly into Padme's brain through the umbilical cord, which might also explain why she didn't want to live.

Padme didn't give up her life to save the babies, fetus-Luke panicked and stole her lifeforce, This left her drained and only surviving because the at the will of the force babies in her, once they were removed she fades.

Luke is a Skywalker after all and fear has a firm grip on them. An unborn child has no training to fight this or even to preserve themselves without harming others

If you have to essentially add depth and reason to a movie by coming up with goofy theories like this one then it's obvious the movie was lacking something to begin with. When I endured ROTS the one and only time I watched it I did not see any nuanced and subtly shaded precursors leading up to the death of Padme, I only saw a seriously underwritten movie and sensed a writer in desperate need of a tragic ending.

Was ROTS seriously underwritten? Yes.

Are most fan theories like this rooted in overthinking underwritten stuff? Yes.

Is this theory just another case of overthinking? I'm not so sure. Something about it rings very plausible to me.

GL is an editor first & foremost, and that cut to Palpy's subtle grin over Padme's death is probably no coincidence. It seems odd that GL would not have any plan for Padme's death whatsoever, given that the question has been hanging in the air for 30 years. GL overlooked & got sloppy with a lot of stuff in the prequels but I'm surprised he would have gotten sloppy with that issue in particular.

No planting, no foreshadowing, no hints, no explanation in the movies at any time.
So this theory is nothing but fanfiction. When a movie scene needs to be eyplained outside of the movie, thenit is the worst writing. It is very muh like explaining a joke.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back