Supernatural EMF detector

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by kysupernatural, May 4, 2011.

1. kysupernatural

kysupernatural Well-Known Member

With all these wonderful Supernatural props...was wondering if anyone cared to maybe tackle the EMF dector that's used on the show. Maybe complete with lights that change and sound effects?

2. kysupernatural

Re: Supernatural EMF dector

:unsure...anyone?....anyone at all......LOL :lol

3. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

What makes it difficult to replicate is that there aren't any really clear reference pictures showing all the components. There is a guy on ebay UK who sells replicas with light and sound effects for cheap, but from what i can tell it is far from accurate.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

yeh, the emf reader has been on my wish list for some time...been gathering pics etc. I'm surprised it hasn't already tackled.

5. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

For some reason I don't see a bit of a walkman in there. I ahve been wishing for photos of this for long too.

From my unprofessional point of view, I'd say that the gauge is something just bought off radio shack/other electronics retailer. The LEDs look like they've been added there
    too. So does the flip-switch on the bottom. Antenna propably pulled off a travel radio.

_A

6. kysupernatural

supposedly the prop maker said the original was made froma real walkman..not sure of the year or model though.

7. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

i think one of the earlier incarnations was based on a walkman, but then again, it has been a while since i watched the first and second season.

8. kysupernatural

Yes, here's a pic which you can really tell it's from a walkman..BUT it is different than the one most commonly used on the show, which I posted in the first post. Not sure if the first one I posted has parts from a walkman or not..hard to tell.

9. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

the one seen in the first pics (which for me is THE emf detector from the show) looks like pegboard with various electronic components on it (resistors, oscilators, a coil etc)

10. kysupernatural

AGREED..if anyone makes one, would def. prefer the first one I posted..just has more character to it. Plus seen alot more on the show...:thumbsup

11. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

It might also be that the plastic case was removed in the later version.

_A

12. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

doubtfull. A pcb from a walkman looks different than the testboard the EMF is build from.

Also note that even the 2 in the 1st post have slight differences

13. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Yeah, agreed too. I guess it's just a case of keeping eyes open, on the look out at electrical stores. It kinda looks basic in design, so would hope it would be simple enough to replicate.

14. Coz

Coz Sr Member

The walkman EMF meter only appears in the first season 'Pantom Traveller' ep,if I recall.

Wonder if that's a dummy board? Looks pre-made to me - the holes at the corners, for example.
    The wire across the top could be hiding the 'join' where the LEDs mount below.

Found a shot of the back here:
    http://www.thehomeplanet.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SPN_0207.jpg

Think that's a belt clip on the backplate, and the back sticks out quite far.
    Belt clip screwed to the backplate (aftermarket walkie-talkie clip?).

Scrounged up a couple more pics, blew 'em up & squared 'em off. Might be a little big!See below.

Looks like the battery pack is on the back at the bottom, always hidden on the show.

At least three different analogue displays in the pics- molding on the clear front section (about where the needle is mounted) shows it.
    Also, the "Inside Scoop" behind the scenes interview shows the meter briefly, and the edge of the analogue display looks black or dark grey.

Love to get a rundown on parts for this!

Coz.

pacrawshaw and RichLather like this.
  15. kysupernatural

NICE FIND..now someone run with this project and make them for sale....:love

16. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Nice find indeed on that photo of the back of the reader....not seen that before. Man, I would love a replica of this...will definitely do more research on this :)

MisfitMaker likes this.
  17. Kingpin

Kingpin Active Member

Judging by the size and design, the two pegs seen attaching the "belt clip" to the main board appear to be the type used for mounting circuit boards inside a PC.

[​IMG]

It looks like there's four more above the needle display. I'd like to say the needle display might be from an analogue multimeter, but the EMF doesn't look deep enough to accomodate the workings of one of those.

The aerial seems to be held on using two transparant clips mounted to the circuit board, possibly using rivets. There also appears to be a "blue box" variable resistor on the front of the EMF, but that could be cosmetic.

This is one of the props I've been wanting to replicate, and was gonna seek an electronically minded individual to consult about the circuit design it would require.

18. kysupernatural

Really glad this is gaining interest and steam...hoping someone can do this right..lights, sounds, the works if possible...hope this makes it to the light of day..I'd be on the order list....:love

19. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Yeh, like you say...it's great to see others having an interest in this prop. Man, I wouls love to have one on display, with my other Supernatural stuff.

I'll take some pics along to a local electrical store and will speak to one of the workers....

20. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

I think the components are just dressing.

The antenna looks to be secured with that flexible strong plastic band and is attached to the board with screws.

Any leads on the correct gauge? Can't seem to find any like it and the one used on the ebayones is not accurate

21. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

what episodes do these screencaptures come from?

22. kysupernatural

Now that....I don't know...

23. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

ok, new theory.

I looked at a screencapture from episode 10 season one (bluray rip). The text on the meter reads 'electro magnetic'. The text in the red section reads 'danger' i wouldn't be surprised if that panel was custom made and put in a regular voltmeter.

24. kysupernatural

25. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Nice work. And yeh, that sounds likely with regards to custom made...

26. Kingpin

Kingpin Active Member

Hah, I could've used that about six months back when I was grabbing screengrabs.

Which I need to put into a zip file for here...

27. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

2 more shots and a pic with parts i ID-ed sofar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. kysupernatural

This prop may just be made yet....:thumbsup

29. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Great work!! :)

30. Kingpin

Kingpin Active Member

THE best visual reference to date.

The toggle switch on the bottom, could it be one of these with the metal plate removed?

[​IMG]

31. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

I'd say no, the threaded part seems to be plastic in the one in the EMF meter.

_A

32. kysupernatural

ok..let's keep the progress going.....I know I'd be up for a replica...track down anymore parts? I'm just not that good with electronics I'm afraid...guns,knives..etc..I can track down...but electronics parts....afraid not.....:unsure

33. kysupernatural

Any news on this...really hoping so..Friday is this seasons finale so gonna be needing something new of Supernatural to get me thru....hoping someone will get hungry and run on this. REALLY WISHED I kne electronics better or I would.

34. Kingpin

Kingpin Active Member

I'm surprised actually that the info for the parts wasn't actually posted. What names/maker name/serial numbers did you find assigned to those parts?

35. kysupernatural

MAKE IT ....MAKE IT.......MAKE IT......:love

36. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Finding the accurate gauge is a pain, haven't found one that is 100% correct, Also breaking my mind over the last component in the middle on the bottom. Looks like part of a turnable dialswitch or resistor, but haven''t found anything close

37. kysupernatural

Feels like this project has lost steam.... :confused Hope it can be built right and accurate with all the bells and whistles.....FINGERS CROSSED!

38. kiddo

kiddo Active Member

I dont think that it would be too hard to make a static replica..... just glue and piece a ton of electrical stuff together......

39. kysupernatural

but a screen accurate with sounds and lights is what I'm talking about...acap...as close as possible...:love

40. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Yeh, it's gotta have at least the lights.. :)

I'm still hoping to pull this project off, but just not had much free time lately to get down to some electrical stores to do some searching...hopefully soon though.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  41. shelbournes

shelbournes New Member

I have managed to do a version close ...this was my first attempt ...so please dont laugh at it ... it is currently on eb*y as I want to sell it to fund for more components to make a better version. This one has a fake meter and sound and a meter that moves to the sound. Any improvements wil be gladly received
    [​IMG]

42. shelbournes

shelbournes New Member

another photo is here
    [​IMG]

43. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

I like it!! You've done great work there....I'd certainly be happy if I could produce something like that...well done! Looking forward to hearing more about your new version

44. shelbournes

shelbournes New Member

45. Kingpin

Kingpin Active Member

Oh brilliant! Could you detail how all the components are wired up? One of the challenges I've been trying to get my head around was how to tie the meter display into the circuit... is the meter affected by the sound level, like one from a stereo?

Nice work, the most accurate one I've seen to date.

46. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

NICE!! Seriously, any details on how you got it to function would be great. Even if it's not 100% screen accurate, it's really well made.

47. kysupernatural

VERY NICE!!! Each version just keeps getting better...sent you a PM Can't wait to see the next one you do.

48. SupernaturalFan

SupernaturalFan Well-Known Member

If I wanted to make a EMF, personally the only one would be Dean's walkman/cassette player EMF.

49. kysupernatural

I like the above one alot...it's the one seen the majority of times a emf is shown....:thumbsup

50. breen2057

breen2057 Sr Member

this emf looks great. i would like to have one this good