Supernatural EMF detector

kysupernatural

With all these wonderful Supernatural props...was wondering if anyone cared to maybe tackle the EMF dector that's used on the show. Maybe complete with lights that change and sound effects?

Re: Supernatural EMF dector

What makes it difficult to replicate is that there aren't any really clear reference pictures showing all the components. There is a guy on ebay UK who sells replicas with light and sound effects for cheap, but from what i can tell it is far from accurate.

Last edited:

yeh, the emf reader has been on my wish list for some time...been gathering pics etc. I'm surprised it hasn't already tackled.

For some reason I don't see a bit of a walkman in there. I ahve been wishing for photos of this for long too.

From my unprofessional point of view, I'd say that the gauge is something just bought off radio shack/other electronics retailer. The LEDs look like they've been added there
too. So does the flip-switch on the bottom. Antenna propably pulled off a travel radio.

_A

supposedly the prop maker said the original was made froma real walkman..not sure of the year or model though.

i think one of the earlier incarnations was based on a walkman, but then again, it has been a while since i watched the first and second season.

Yes, here's a pic which you can really tell it's from a walkman..BUT it is different than the one most commonly used on the show, which I posted in the first post. Not sure if the first one I posted has parts from a walkman or not..hard to tell.

the one seen in the first pics (which for me is THE emf detector from the show) looks like pegboard with various electronic components on it (resistors, oscilators, a coil etc)

the one seen in the first pics (which for me is THE emf detector from the show) looks like pegboard with various electronic components on it (resistors, oscilators, a coil etc)

AGREED..if anyone makes one, would def. prefer the first one I posted..just has more character to it. Plus seen alot more on the show...:thumbsup

It might also be that the plastic case was removed in the later version.

_A

doubtfull. A pcb from a walkman looks different than the testboard the EMF is build from.

Also note that even the 2 in the 1st post have slight differences

Yeah, agreed too. I guess it's just a case of keeping eyes open, on the look out at electrical stores. It kinda looks basic in design, so would hope it would be simple enough to replicate.

The walkman EMF meter only appears in the first season 'Pantom Traveller' ep,if I recall.

Wonder if that's a dummy board? Looks pre-made to me - the holes at the corners, for example.
The wire across the top could be hiding the 'join' where the LEDs mount below.

Found a shot of the back here:
http://www.thehomeplanet.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SPN_0207.jpg

Think that's a belt clip on the backplate, and the back sticks out quite far.
Belt clip screwed to the backplate (aftermarket walkie-talkie clip?).

Scrounged up a couple more pics, blew 'em up & squared 'em off. Might be a little big!See below.

Looks like the battery pack is on the back at the bottom, always hidden on the show.

At least three different analogue displays in the pics- molding on the clear front section (about where the needle is mounted) shows it.
Also, the "Inside Scoop" behind the scenes interview shows the meter briefly, and the edge of the analogue display looks black or dark grey.

Love to get a rundown on parts for this!

Coz.

The walkman EMF meter only appears in the first season 'Pantom Traveller' ep,if I recall.

Wonder if that's a dummy board? Looks pre-made to me - the holes at the corners, for example.
The wire across the top could be hiding the 'join' where the LEDs mount below.

Found a shot of the back here:
http://www.thehomeplanet.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SPN_0207.jpg

Think that's a belt clip on the backplate, and the back sticks out quite far.
Belt clip screwed to the backplate (aftermarket walkie-talkie clip?).

Scrounged up a couple more pics, blew 'em up & squared 'em off. Might be a little big!See below.

Looks like the battery pack is on the back at the bottom, always hidden on the show.

At least three different analogue displays in the pics- molding on the clear front section (about where the needle is mounted) shows it.
Also, the "Inside Scoop" behind the scenes interview shows the meter briefly, and the edge of the analogue display looks black or dark grey.

Love to get a rundown on parts for this!

Coz.

Nice find indeed on that photo of the back of the reader....not seen that before. Man, I would love a replica of this...will definitely do more research on this :)

Judging by the size and design, the two pegs seen attaching the "belt clip" to the main board appear to be the type used for mounting circuit boards inside a PC.

emfb.jpg

It looks like there's four more above the needle display. I'd like to say the needle display might be from an analogue multimeter, but the EMF doesn't look deep enough to accomodate the workings of one of those.

The aerial seems to be held on using two transparant clips mounted to the circuit board, possibly using rivets. There also appears to be a "blue box" variable resistor on the front of the EMF, but that could be cosmetic.

This is one of the props I've been wanting to replicate, and was gonna seek an electronically minded individual to consult about the circuit design it would require.

Really glad this is gaining interest and steam...hoping someone can do this right..lights, sounds, the works if possible...hope this makes it to the light of day..I'd be on the order list....:love

Yeh, like you say...it's great to see others having an interest in this prop. Man, I wouls love to have one on display, with my other Supernatural stuff.

I'll take some pics along to a local electrical store and will speak to one of the workers....

I think the components are just dressing.

The antenna looks to be secured with that flexible strong plastic band and is attached to the board with screws.

Any leads on the correct gauge? Can't seem to find any like it and the one used on the ebayones is not accurate

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back