Super-detailing the MPC Falcon

uhh...Jedi Dade, sorry:) I've just read through all the posts - seems like you are a long way through the project already. Now I know your plans more or less. Oh well, I'm sure we can still share info.

Hey Chuckles..I admire your enthusiasim with modifying the MPC Falcon.....it will be tough to find the right kit parts to do it,cause there are'nt many donor kits you can buy parts for the right scale.I guess it depends on the company..I've never seen a 1/24 scale Tamiya kit...so its hard to say how many parts they incorporated in them.You might have to sacrifice and go with 1/20.....fudge things a little.I think with a project such as this...because its a smaller,odd scale than the studio models some "artistic freedom" will work beautifully.Its just that with a couple 1/24 scale F1 car kits I bought..believing they would have almost as many of the parts as the larger scale kits did..I'd have no problem.
I bought a couple 1/24 Entex kits,and they skimped on alot of details.I think that is pretty standard with most commercial kit companies to cut costs on the injection molds.Less machine time&simplifying the kit to still make maximum profit.Also many of the military armor kits wont come in scales much smaller than 1/76 to my knowlege..at least thats the smallest i could ever find,and it's not small enough.The smaller the kit...the fewer parts&details.I think that you can buy some kits.....and thumb through the parts you want...buy close the the "correct scale" to use on the MPC kit.It would be a great exercise in kitbashing...and be much like what the model builders of ILM were faced with....buy kits,choose parts...and put on whatever looked good.Also....to get some things acurate....you'll be scratch building quite a bit.
There are some aftermarket kits you can buy,and apparently the guy doing it will be in "full" production again by summer..least thats what i heard...and aonther fella is making photo etch grills for the MPC kit..he's in Canada somewhere.Maybe look in aftermarket military&race car kit producers.....those are popular subjects....and they usually make improovements and parts for that particular scale....I cant think of any off the top of my head.If you are short on resources.....a decent one to start with is From Star Wars to Indiana Jones,maybe try ordering the Chronicals through a book store in Oz..or even look for it on e-bay.There was a post either in here,or in the replica props forum of someone announcing the selling of The Chronicals book..I saw it not long ago.The english version is somewhere in the vacinity of $150 U.S..I bought the 1rst addition/printing that originallywas written in Japanese..and was much more costly..about $3-400......bloody hell!Well....I hope you have good luck with this project....your mind is in the right place.....have a nice day
icon_smile.gif
-John

Hey John, it was me touting the $50 "Chronicles" books... the place is hamiltonbook.com.

I've always wondered about that Japanese edition that Chronicles is based on.. is it exactly the same book with Japanese text, or are there significant differences between the Japanese and English versions?

Just to keep things on topic, I hope the Falcon "accurizing" kits rerelease DOES come to pass, because I was just looking at my old Falcon and wondering if I should strip it, rebuild and repaint it...

- Karl

The Japanese Chronicals & the English written Chronicals are identical in pages...the covers are different...the Jappanese one of course is written in Jappanese.....ummmm..what else?Oh.....there were very few of the Jappanese editions made..mine is numbered...I think they may have only made 10,000 copies..mine is 7,000 something 1rst edition run...they have a bit more value I think,thats what the guy told me when I bought it,it also cost much more....was somewhere around 3-$400.There were a few other things that came with the Jappanese edition....some small color pictures...but card size.....thats about it.I have both versions.....the english version cost me $150.......bugger...thats about it off the to of my head-John

JPollachi - Are you sure about the 1/24 scale F1 kits? I got a few of them (1/24 and 1/20), and I could identify parts, but they looked as though they are the correct scale for the 32" falcon, and not the ERTL falcon. I got the 1/24 Ferrari 312T (not sure of the brand - looks japanese), The Tamiya 1/20 Ligier JS11 Ford F1, and the Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/5B Honda. Which kits have you had luck with?
Thanks for the info about the aftermarket kits for the falcon. I've actually heard about them a few times before, and it's my understanding that the size of the sidewall is the same as the ERTL falcon. If this is true, then they're not really much good to me. I hope, like a few others here, to accuraize the sidewall height. Also I think those aftermarket kits remake the falcon model from ANH, but I hope to remake the ESB falcon model (different sidewalls).
You are very right about artistic license. I will no doubt have to do it some time. However it would be nice to get the most recognizable parts kitbashed.
I do own "From star wars to indiana jones", but there is only one shot of the ESB 32" falcon, so I would still prefer the chronicles book. I may have a look around onm the net. Having no credit card doesn't help my cause much, but hopefully I can work something out somewhere.
About those photoetched parts - I've actually found some tank wheels that are a perfect size for the two little circle grill thigies that are behind 3 of the big vents on the engine wedge. They look quite good, and the other squarish vents that are behind them shouldn't be hard to find elsewhere. These wheels are a lot more 3D than I believe the photoetched parts will be, so that helps as well (hope I don't make the photoetcher lose all his business). The kit to buy is the Fujimi Panzer.IV Ausf.J German Medium Tank 1/76.
Good luck with it. Keep your progress posted on this thread, as I will.
Chuckles.

Falcon kits make excellent resin sidepanels for the MPCfalcon, and they are modeled after the ANH panels on the 5 footer. for ESB you'll need to make your own. For the engine wedge, there are several airfix jet airplane models in 1/72 scale that you can use the "missles" from for the 4 "vertical" plumbing that is is just below the grills. Looking at the pics of the ESB falcon that what it looks like was used to me (only a larger scale obviously). I ordered a set of PE grills from the guy mentioned above. So far I haven't gotten anything, but he was having some production problems and maybe that slowed things down a bit.

Basically with a project like this you have to come to grips with the fact it will never be "right" and you've got to be able to settle for something that looks close and way better the the model you started with.

If you are serious about lighting the model take a look at some of my posts ealier in this thread. I have a setup utilizing mini-florescent lights (12v dc) that looks fantastic. The total cost was around 50-60 dollars plus a little soldering. The result is bright enough to light a room
icon_wink.gif
I was alway slightly disappointed with all of the lighting of the falcon engines I've seen done. It was never bright enough for me. I wanted it to "look" like the movie. I think that this does. Check out the pics of Edrolfo's MPC falcon(theres a link up there somewhere) - he's the guy I stole the idea from, then I modified it slightly
icon_wink.gif
It really is nice and pretty easy.

Hey Chuckles,sorry about the confusion..I was referring to the fact that it would be almost impossible to find the correct scale kit parts to kitbash the MPC Falcon...but you are correct on the ILM 32" minature...I found that there are a couple 1/12 F1 kit parts used(inside the rear access pit on the top left hand side)some parts are a bit confusing....Im also thinking that perhaps the 1/24 Arifix Hawker Hurricane engine block half may have been used.There are many 1/20 F1 kit parts used all over the engine deck....to my knowledge..the F1 Williams was used...I also think the 1/20 P34 six wheeled Tyrrell was used,as well as a 1/20 Ferrari 312B,but I cant find one...and the M23 Yardley McLaren in both 1/12 & 1/20 might have been used to some extent.There are also countless 1/35 tank parts used as well.
I usually have no luck i.ding parts till I have the actual kit in front of me...I also picked up a 1/20 & 1/12 JPS MKIII.....I think some parts from those kits were employed as well.There are so many kits bashed into the 32" Falcon it is mind boggling.If you are really into improving&modifying yur MPC kit in the Empire Strikes back vesion...off the top of my head....some of the tank kits can be found...cause there were many 1/35 tanks used on the 32" Falcon,other parts you will have to scratch,or fudge with something else.You might try to get yur hands on a Tamiya 1/20 935 Martini Porsche....the trannie might be the right size for the MPC kit...or try the 1/12 935 Porsche.....but its tough to say.Anyway,thats about all I have to talk about now..I've got some business to take care of......keep the interest&posts coming.....check with the guy who posted above about getting yurself a Chronicals book..maybe he'll deal in cash?See ya later...cheers mate-John

Jedi Dade, John Polacchi, and other accurizers...
There is some guy on the internet who is a complete hack at scratchbuilding. You might have heard of him. His name is Tim Ketzer (only joking. Tim, you're amazing). Anyway, If you've seen his attempt at accurizing the MPC Falcon, you may have noticed that he's cut off the front of the mandibles - the VERY front. I haven't really looked into this much whether to do it myself or not, but I wanted to know if anyone else out there has noticed this, and have they altered their own kits.

I have'nt worked on the MPC kit in a long time(much of it was destroyed in a move,got crushed&kit parts were lost/broken)Im working out drawings&gathering commercial kits(kitbashing) to make the 32" Falcon.Drawing blueprints(acurate ones) is alot harder than one thinks....most everything else is just gravy.I dont even think I may build the MPC kit...I may just scratch one at about 24" or so...to accommodate most the other comercial kits that can be used at that scale..it'll just be a bit larger than the MPC kit(its just an idea).Alot of 1/32,1/48,1/72,1/76,1/20.....maybe 1/12 F1 comercial kits can be used for that scale..be difficult to go much smaller in scale unless you want to scratch everything.To my knowledge....there are'nt any military armour kits that are made past 1/72,or 1/76 scale,but I could be wrong.

There are SOME kits smaller than 1/76, Roco Minitanks are )I think) 1/85. Fairley cheap, but sometimes pretty "soft" on the details too . . .

Ryan

Regarding scale... the ILM ESB model is apprx.32" the MPC is apprx. 18" Thats approx. 1/2 (56% actually). I took the approach that when your going done to a really small scale kit(like 1/72) where the error in the kits is probably enough to hide the 6% your off on your overall scaling. Basically what I am trying to do is find the kits of the same subject used on the ILM model in a proportionally smaller scale - It will never be perfect. But it does kinda work...certainly much better then the MPC model started out as.

I like the term superdetailing much better then accurizing for this project. It is impossible to make the ship "accurate" since its just plain the wrong size. however with a bit of work it can be made into a damn nice model that looks pretty close to what it should look like and that's what I think the goal should be, unless you're tackling the 3 or 5 footer
icon_wink.gif
which I'm hoping this project will increase my scratchbuilding skills to the point I can make a reasonably successful attempt at.

Jedi Dade

I wonder what the detail is like on these n scale trank kits,and if parts can be salvaged from the kits to be used practically on the MPC kit?

Builders,

It looks as though Jack Smith is finally selling his conversion kit again. I plan on jumping on it soon, but thought you all might want to know about it. He is currently offering the complete kit and not the seperate packages, but that's the one to buy anyhow. I can't wait for mine!

Nathan
nkhyber@aol.com

Builders,

It looks as though Jack Smith is finally selling his conversion kit again. I plan on jumping on it soon, but thought you all might want to know about it. He is currently offering the complete kit and not the seperate packages, but that's the one to buy anyhow. I can't wait for mine!

Nathan
nkhyber@aol.com

Have those sidewall upgrades he's offering been rescaled to the correct height in relation to the rest of the falcon?
I've asked around at some hobby shops, jedi dade, everyone seems to be sure that no one makes 1/48 scale F1 kits. Bummer. These would be really handy.
I just bought the a beat up old Falcon toy from the 70'sfor really cheap. It's missing bits everywhere, but I think I'll fix it and paint it all up as practice for my MPC superdetailing. I can't wait to get started, but I have a super sculpey figure to complete.

Tread,

I inquired long ago and I guess he has me on some sort of mailing list. My guess is that he's taking orders from old inquiries first and then everyone else? At any rate, it looks like we're all in luck as he is subcontracting the work to make sure it's expediated in a timely fashion.

chuckles,

Yes, the correct wall height is one of the reasons for owning the kit. Also the landing gear and eveything else about it!

Nathan

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back