Super Cheap Blade Runner Gun

SigsegV

So, I saw some cheap toy guns that are knockoffs of the blade runner pistol floating around online, and I'd been considering getting one to convert for a while but I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort until I saw someone post one they did in the Nerf Props thread, so I decided to give it a go. The goal for this project is to get a passable replica with working LEDs for a total cost of no more than $25, and so far. I think I might actually come in under budget.

Which would be a first for me.

So I started with a "Lights and Sounds Machine Pistol" from Amazon for $10:
IMG_20150110_160504_559.jpg
IMG_20150110_160520_352.jpg

Hideous, but close enough. Also made of really soft plastic, which is kind of nice for working with it, and at least it isn't so brittle that I have to worry about it shattering if I drop it. But if this weren't a rip-off of a good design and thus worth upgrading then $10 would be way too much to pay for such a poor quality toy.

IMG_20150110_162414_120.jpg
The wiring for the annoying lights and sounds, and the motor to spin the horribly tacky fake bullets around. All of this is going to go except for the battery contacts, since those will actually be useful for the LEDs I'm going to put in. Also note that the lights in this are incandescents, that's how cheap this is.

IMG_20150111_165200_595.jpg
Here's how it looks with the tacky bullets removed, and some pieces from a plastic bottle to help fill in the gap.

IMG_20150113_172256_201.jpg
Cut up (quite) a bit more. The black boxy segment is getting slid back a little to help fill the gap in the middle. I'm going to use epoxy putty to sculpt something to fill the new gap in front of that. Then I decided the whole thing was about a half inch too long, so it got cut in half. I've also cut off all of the details that were in the wrong place, I'm going to have to make new ones to put back on it. There is an awful lot of epoxy putty and bondo in this thing's future.

IMG_20150113_172336_345.jpg
The white plastic sticks are pieces from the sprue of an old model kit, they're there to give me something to attach the front end to securely. Also in this picture: one of the slots for the old speaker enlarged to fit the switch for the LEDs I'll be adding and the other slot blocked off and ready to be filled in with putty.

And that's about as far as I am so far. Right now there's not really more I can do until I pick up some epoxy putty and my LEDs come in the mail. I am a bit short of reference images though, I've got good references for the sides of it, and there's not much going on on the back or top, but if someone could point me to some good pictures of the front or underside I'd really appreciate it.

Subscribed!! Very interesting project. I'm eager to see what you come up with.
What do you plan to do with the grip sections? Are you going to tackle the orange translucent look?

Good to see these mods...thanks. I have a couple of these toy blasters ready to work on.

The lack of clear grips is the only thing putting me off.

Thanks guys, I've done a ton of work on it since the last update, but it doesn't show too much. Here's how it looks right now:
IMG_20150130_164801_092.jpg
The bit of PVC is to replace the barrel. There's still quite a bit of puttying and sanding required, then I have to start rebuilding it, filling a few gaps in here and there with some styrene. Then I have to build a new trigger guard and the lever on the side, probably out of some think styrene bent into shape, and scratch build two matching triggers, at least the rear one of which needs to still be movable. Any recommendations for what to use for the triggers?

As for the grips, I'm just going to paint them matte black, since I think that will fit well with the look.

The other black parts of the gun will be glossy, and the metal bits will be chrome pain or rub-n-buff silver leaf for the grip frame and rub-n-buff pewter for the rest.

ed-209

Can explain how you did the LED lights? I've tried using 3mm ones, but the gun's 3 AA batteries equal about 4 volts, while each light is 3 volts. How did you accomplish this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi BigRagu92,
I simply installed the LEDs then ran wires back to main power source. I did use resistors to lower the voltage.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back