Suggestions for practical props?

Skater Maid

Hey there all! Long time cosplayer and prop maker, brand new to this forum, but have for a while now been super interested in the prop guns of the worlds of Blade Runner and Firefly. I see there's a massive amount of love and dedication to the props of the series, and I was wondering if anyone has/has any tips for making props with some practical effect value to them as well? I'm not a just have on a stand sorta maker, I want my props to have moving parts, maybe shoot off caps or BBs. 'Course since they're built off regular guns, just.. use a real gun, and maybe in due time, but for now on a budget, wanting to add some "action" to the props, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

PS, Sorry for the long post, haha! Thanks for making it this far!

Way back, Hartford used to make a Blade Runner blaster that was built on the frame of an airsoft replica of a Charter Arms Bulldog. You could load it with dummy shells that held on 6mm BB, and it was gas operated for firing. I remember the triggers didn't match the original prop though.

Hartford Blade Runner Blaster

Mind you that thread is like 17 years old. Shows me how long I've been creeping around these boards. Good times.

It really depends on how much functionality you are looking for. Most Con's as you know have fairly strict rules regarding what weapons you can bring into them. I have an old thread on here somewhere where I was building a blank firing Blade Runner inspired blaster. The base revolver I used was a Zoraki model as it was fairly close visually speaking to a Charter Arms. (I still have it, waiting for me to finally put it together). I think CO2 gas blowback pistols are a great way to get a cycling action out of a prop gun every time you pull the trigger.

Another way as seen on K's blaster from BR 2049 is magnetic actuators. There's a lot of possibilities in that realm. I think you should pick a blaster of your choice, start a build thread, the guru's here will help you build all the functionality you could want within the law.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back