Studio Scale Tyrell Pyramid

This trench doesn't ring a bell:unsure: Maybe part of the city scape?
Joberg, Thanks for the reply.
So you can see that that this project and any prop related to it ,throws up a huge number of unanswered questions. If I get a hint of anything related to it, I try to investigate with all the BTS material thats available. Most of the time, there are no answers( yet) to stuff like this.
The months of research on the Close - Up Section didn’t resolve the clue to identifying missing parts I had hoped I ‘d find but has thrown up a few more questions in itself.
But if there are members here who have an interest in the background vehicles, the Lobster spinner, the tanker, the Alfa Romeo vehicle, the blimp and even the Hades hero towers, you’ll find most of the clues to the kit parts on the Close Up model.

That‘s the nature of this project (as Searun referred to) the rewards and the frustrations.

I just checked Propstore’s Auction 2022 catalogue. I see that the resin casting ( Lot. No. 564) which I mentioned in post #200 has now been deleted/ removed from the forthcoming auction.

I wonder did they read my post here and also Dave Martis’ s post on Facebook ( Bladerunner Art, Fashion, Photograghy Facebook Group).
If it’s a lesson learnt to do your homework on props, if that’s the casting I got asked about last year and the owner was reselling it, he also paid a princely sum for it to another auction house who mislabelled its description- not out of any intention to deceive but a lack of any knowledge/ research into the subject.

Last edited:
Yes, buyers beware, but also sellers beware :oops: If you cannot identify the part with a clear screen cap...then I'm not gonna spend my money on it;)

vi683a,
Nice to see someone inspired by Pyramidrep’s art and considering tackling it.

A Blade Runner scratch build pyramid of any size will take a tremendous amount of research on previously published, scant information. That homework and the craftsmanship you put into it will be the rewarding part as you mentioned. Many mysteries, but as you discover one or two the payback is there, the reward for you. The subject itself is extremely worthy of replication, the product of genius in my opinio
What i like most about the Project is that it will be "MY" unique observation of the original genius model.

i am actually building a new house and part of my house will be my "MAN CAVE" that will be tribute to the most, IMHO, badass movie ever.

I have watched the movie about 1000+ times. i like to let in run in the background throughout my life during most of my other project builds.
It is just a relaxing, and mesmerizing piece of moving art.

!(*@ > @)$( If you know what i mean.

Did you ever consider color differential in the "Office" lighting?
I know what you are referring to here - office lights in buildings are not “ monochromatic” when viewed at night. Yes, I did look carefully at that and contemplated printing some of the lights with a frame of colours on their edge.
There is a difference in some of the lighting patterns in some photographs (image below). Did they use a different pattern to simulate different times of night in the movie?. Thats unknown at the moment.

JPEG image.jpeg
The black and white pattern comes from reference to the use of high contrast film to create the patterned lighting. There is a reference to this in a book on Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Basicly it’s uses hand painted/ drawn artwork pattern photographed and printed ( multiple times) on enlarged film acetate. The high contrast is because it is just black and white . The colours in Close encounters came from the use of different coloured filters when filmed. They didn’t do this for the Pyramid and my solution didn’t follow this exactly but used what tools I have to create something of similar effect.
8877C018-CC4C-407B-85F9-7645A9595E2A.jpeg

The buttress’ ( prototype) is undergoing a few more changes to its build to make it a little more robust because the etch is very delicate. I also have a lot more work to do on it, paintwork, lighting of the roof antennae, the strobe lights to the edge etc.........

Last edited:
"!(*@ > @)$( If you know what i mean. "

1982>2049 lol

I like to read the insight you provided. It is entertaining and i am infatuated about seeking for more details concerning modeling in the 60s- 80's

I know what you are referring to here - office lights in buildings are not “ monochromatic” when viewed at night. Yes, I did look carefully at that and contemplated printing some of the lights with a frame of colours on their edge.
There is a difference in some of the lighting patterns in some photographs (image below). Did they use a different pattern to simulate different times of night in the movie?. Thats unknown at the moment.

View attachment 1589443
The black and white pattern comes from reference to the use of high contrast film to create the patterned lighting. There is a reference to this in a book on Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Basicly it’s uses hand painted/ drawn artwork pattern photographed and printed ( multiple times) on enlarged film acetate. The high contrast is because it is just black and white . The colours in Close encounters came from the use of different coloured filters when filmed. They didn’t do this for the Pyramid. My solution didn’t follow this exactly but used what tools I have to create something of similar effect.
View attachment 1589444

The buttress’ ( prototype) is undergoing a few more changes to its build to make it a little more robust because the etch is very delicate. I also have a lot more work to do on it, paintwork, lighting of the roof antennae, the strobe lights to the edge etc.........
That roof antenna.... like cotton candy?

It would be a nice contribution if the original master prints would become open source material.

Some of the photography aspects make it difficult to make a detailed blue print.

Having been in the Aerospace industry and used to .xxx accuracy i am having many OCD moments.

Last edited:
It would be a nice contribution if the original master prints would become open source material.

Some of the photography aspects make it difficult to make a detailed blue print.
The copyright for these belongs to the movie company so that’s unlikely to happen. The prop industry has also exploded in popularity in the last 10 years so the value of these and reproductions hasnt been lost to the people who own the material.
You will have to re- interpret some of the detail anyway to your own design because etching company guidelines for artwork is very specific due to modern processes and some of the original lines are too narrow (0.25/ 0.30mm) to etch properly.

That roof antenna.... like cotton candy?

The roof antennae.
FA76FF8A-1808-41EC-9A7F-82C7D67B26B2.jpeg

Last edited:
I can see that Trumbull & Co used the same kind of lighting the Pyramid and somewhat doing almost the same on Close Encounter.
As for those little antennae...they seems very fragile;)

As for those little antennae...they seems very fragile;)
Yep. I had a learning crash course over the weekend into LED wiring & lighting - resistors, capacitors, optocouplers, transistors. After experimenting with various fibre optics to light those antennae ( which didn’t quite work), I got these nano leds last week. Light is 1.6x0.8mm, wire is 0.1mm. Extremely fragile but perfect.
F1A924E6-752D-433D-8561-20506FFF01BF.jpeg

The copyright for these belongs to the movie company so that’s unlikely to happen. The prop industry has also exploded in popularity in the last 10 years so the value of these and reproductions hasnt been lost to the people who own the material.
You will have to re- interpret some of the detail anyway to your own design because etching company guidelines for artwork is very specific because of modern processes and some of the original lines are to narrow (0.25/ 0.30mm) to etch properly.

The roof antennae.
View attachment 1589466
Probably one of the first thing i will work on is the etching detail and what i can accomplish.

Its the 40th Anniversary of Blade Runner‘s release today. It’s certainly on my mind and I would think on other fans minds today as we ( fans) celebrate it in our own quite ways.

Thank you for your thoughts on the thread and enjoy the game.
Oh wow, thats cool. Totally didn't even realize that.
Sonic's 31st birthday was June 23rd.
Interesting little mix of the two, even if most likely unintentional.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back