Studio Scale Tyrell Pyramid

Sorry that I cannot help you on that one...as you said; so many casting have been made/re-used that it's difficult to provide a clear view of it on any screen caps:unsure:

This is what I have on it. Screencap of Police station roof and photo of the vac formed piece used on that roof. it is clear that the vac formed piece used a section of the piece mentioned and added further detail to make the new part.
C7F5ECDD-1F79-45BB-8F83-F2F45B5D42B7.jpeg
605F7131-3FDE-4ACA-9CFE-9EB0272C86AE.jpeg

Wow...a bit high for my wallet o_O ".....................
Joberg . Yeah. Those etch masters have very high estimates. Considering that all 12 design masters and drawing were sold in 2010 for $1100 , that’s a serious increase in value. Are they worth it? . I suppose that depends buyers interest and even though I have a copy of the main ( and most important )pattern ( which I paid a few hundred euro) for a few years ago, I‘ m tempted to bid for one of the sets. My concern is that the drawing need some conservation work because you can see from the images that the chartpak tape which was used to make the original design pattern is lifted and deteriorating.
They probably rightfully should go to a museum.

What beautiful work you produce from equally impressive dedicated research. Keep your friends close and the Pyramid closer.
Thank you again Searun. It’s a big project and one, I have to admit, I did not fully comprehend when It developed from doing a half-scale semi-accurate model to where it is now. I‘m taking my time so under no pressure of time or clients screaming for results. One of the reasons why I follow the Millenium Falcon builds so closely is because of their scale and complexity, similar to what my own project is. I understand and empathise with effort,trials and frustrations that you and the other very dedicated Studio Scale model builders go through because as you know, a lot of stuff goes wrong, things break, warp etc.

One final note about the Blade Runner resin casting for auction by Propstore. If you google Blade Runner resin casting, you will see an old image of a similar casting sold on eBay a few years ago similar to this. There were a number of Blade Runner resin castings sold by the same gentleman ( Tyrell Pyramid roof castings, Close up detail strips , etc ) ,all recast. My own Pyramid roof resin casting comes from the same source.

He has also doubts about the casting and thinks it may ,in fact, be one of his.

Remember, if it is original, the casting should be made from CLEAR POLYESTER RESIN. If it’s not ..........then it’s a recast.

I still maintain that its not on the Tyrell Pyramid model.

Just found this build thread and some great work and research. Just wondeed if you mind me asking where you got your photo etch done.

Just found this build thread and some great work and research. Just wondeed if you mind me asking where you got your photo etch done.

I won‘t say exactly which Company I commissioned the etch from for certain reasons. But there are several very reputable companies in the UK and you can find them easily on google. Some of them will give costs (tooling, material, postage) relating the size of your design. The design has to be supplied/ drawn in vector format ( adobe illustrator, autocad, etc.). And also bear in mind the line widths that you draw have meet the minimum width tolerances in order that the etch is successful ( as a rule minimum line width of 1 1/2 of metal thickness).
If you’re intending to do a lot, ask for a discount because of the quantity. I had about 100 sheets etched of various designs at a cost of several thousand Euro.
Also important is to make sure you get a confirmation statement from them on the copyright of your design drawing so that no one else use it. The companies operate on that basis as a rule so that client‘s commissioned work will not be infringed In any way.

I can see they do great work with the photo etching and would like to use them for a future project but dont understand the secrecy ( unless it's a mate who doesnt want any more jobs)

I can see they do great work with the photo etching and would like to use them for a future project but dont understand the secrecy ( unless it's a mate who doesnt want any more jobs)
God, I thought I answered your question very fairly. And no, I have no mates working in the etching business. As I said the Companies in the UK are very reputable.

I am currently going to go through this same Idea of building a Model. I was Curious if you could provide me with a simple dimension?

What did you choose as the angle for the Zuggurat (Pyramid)? I just want to start out with a good baseline before i start creating the 2d blueprints.

I have collected as many photos as i could find and roughed out the building in Sketchup but will be going to Fusion 3d as soon as possible.

Rather than waiting another week while I finish off the master pattern for the roof, I thought I’d give you a look at where I am this morning. This buttress has been fighting me all the way since last summer when I damaged the acrylic box on a tiled floor and had to start again. Rather than go back to have the acrylic cnc’d again straight away, I cut the patterns myself on a table saw and it was easier to do any adjustments/ additions as necessary. (It’s nasty stuff to cut)
This is not how the light box was originally built but my solution to deal with it.

On the table you can see a complete set of drawings for the lighting patterns. 7500 window lights in the left buttress and 6800 in the right.
This is a prototype for the final buttress‘. Final drawings are going out to a company to have the acrylic cnc‘d since I now have the design completed and I know it works. So the etch you see here will be removed and used on a new substructure.
Fibre optics to be added to the top and some pulsing lights to the perimeter edges of the roof later.
I hope to begin casting in 2 or 3 month when weather/temperatures are warmer.

Still a little bit of etch to add to the side, waiting on superglue from Spain and some last model parts for the pattern from the UK.

Note. The buttress lighting looks much, much better at night that what’s indicated in the images( taken at 11.00 am).
GView attachment 1536561View attachment 1536562View attachment 1536564View attachment 1536565View attachment 1536566View attachment 1536567View attachment 1536568View attachment 1536569
Beautiful!

I am currently going to go through this same Idea of building a Model. I was Curious if you could provide me with a simple dimension?

What did you choose as the angle for the Zuggurat (Pyramid)?
The angle is about 50 degrees. I say “ about “ because we use super accurate tools like CAD abd 3 d modelling. Back in 1981 it was done manually with protractors and the geometry calculated with pen and paper.

Good luck on your project. Just from experience, I will say that 3d files quickly get unwieldy and difficult to work on because the detail is extremely heavy. Trying to build just one buttress with that etch detail is challenging ( and I‘ve done it).

The angle is about 50 degrees. I say “ about “ because we use super accurate tools like CAD abd 3 d modelling. Back in 1981 it was done manually with protractors and the geometry calculated with pen and paper.

Good luck on your project. Just from experience, I will say that 3d files quickly get unwieldy and difficult to work on because the detail is extremely heavy. Trying to build just one buttress with that etch detail is challenging ( and I‘ve done it).
I was not to far off. 47.5 was my estimate!

My model base will have to be under 4 sq/ft as the height might become problematic in its final location.

I have a lot of work to do making my own blueprints. But I look forward to the pain and suffering as well as rewards. I will be making my own etchings so that itself will be rewarding.

Last edited:
I came across this image this morning on the Blade Runner Blu-ray BTS visual effects gallery. The resin piece , currently up for auction by Propstore is visible ( albeit chopped) as part of the detailing on the surface of the wall/ trench. Does anyone have any idea what or where in the movie was this model was used for?. It’s not part of the rear wall of the Tyrell Pyramid Close Up. I doubled checked.
DD905DE3-5C56-40A0-9FCA-81A9862735FE.jpeg

I was not to far off. 47.5 was my estimate!

My model base will have to be under 4 sq/ft as the height might become problematic in its final location.

I have a lot of work to do making my own blueprints. But I look forward to the pain and suffering as well as rewards. I will be making my own etchings so that itself will be rewarding.
vi683a,
Nice to see someone inspired by Pyramidrep’s art and considering tackling it.

A Blade Runner scratch build pyramid of any size will take a tremendous amount of research on previously published, scant information. That homework and the craftsmanship you put into it will be the rewarding part as you mentioned. Many mysteries, but as you discover one or two the payback is there, the reward for you. The subject itself is extremely worthy of replication, the product of genius in my opinion.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back