Studio Scale TIE Fighter

Holy cow, nice job Steve!!! Seriously looking forward to the new goodies. :) Bummer on the resin support rod, but I know you'll git r done!!!!

Dave :)

Thanks for the update Steve! Sharing your process and showing progress is encouraging. It's been a long time with the police training hasn't it...good to see you back. :thumbsup

Ok.. anyone got any ideas... when I cast the center armeture without a metal rod inside they turn out perfect... :thumbsup!

however I want to make i stronger, here is the problemo...

when I place a steel rod in there it curves the armeture when its curing... could it be th cold steel and curing resin contoring it?? Now Ive inpregnated metal before without this kind of stuff. Do you guys think brass square stock instead of round solid steel 1/8 stock would be better?

I'm up for any ideas this is holding me up..

Steve

Ok.. anyone got any ideas... when I cast the center armeture without a metal rod inside they turn out perfect... :thumbsup!

however I want to make i stronger, here is the problemo...

when I place a steel rod in there it curves the armeture when its curing... could it be th cold steel and curing resin contoring it?? Now Ive inpregnated metal before without this kind of stuff. Do you guys think brass square stock instead of round solid steel 1/8 stock would be better?

I'm up for any ideas this is holding me up..

Steve

Steve

Could it be that the shrinkage process of the resin (if any) puts pressure on the steel rod making it bow a little? the longer the rod the easier it bends, I think square will do the job or a thicker hollow metal tube.

P.S. I hope one of those Tie is coming to me , my X-wing is getting lonely :)

GFollano

Last edited:
GF,

that may do the trick.... im just glad i dont have to remold.. I'll pic up square or round tubeand see how it goes and yes as soon as this is figurd me and th epost office are gonna get real close... plus my wife wants all the boxes out of the basement!

Can you call me?

Steve

Hey guys,

First I want to thank all of you for being so patient. Second thanks to Darkside for helping me get stuff organized! The backorders will be shipping as soon as I get this corrected

366224630.gif

Not sure if you can tell or not its as crooked as a broke legged dog. That not good when its suppose to ne straight!

I’ve upgraded ALL remaining owed kits to the new two part hull so I needed this armature for the centers. It has a steel rod through the center to ensure its strength.

Heres a pic of the remold process.. about to receive RTV and the next after the pour has been complete. I’ll flip it and pour the second half tonight hope to be casting the final parts Saturday.
366224628.gif

These are the parts I did today…. In between molding the armature..
366224635.jpg

All the kits owed TIE and interceptors are laid out as the following picture shows. As soon as the armetures are done they will be boxed and sent out according to the list posted earlier in the thread.
366224631.gif

I will start contacting the people on the list one I’ve sent out the last of the owed kits. As indicated in the thread I’m building and ordering metal armetures as requested. I just placed an order for 10 metal armetures. I have 5 that can be picked up on Monday.

Once again… thank you guys and don’t hesitate in emailing me or calling. I will start going through my PM's tonight... theres a few in there ..:lol man i'm gonna be busy tonight! also I will try to stay regular again with tracking this thread and RPF as a whole. finally getting settled in the Police job and will do a better job with communicating directly.

Steve

Hey Steve what is that stuff made of? That rod doesnt look like metal? And something else to think about, if it was machined/drilled, it looks like the person bent the tube? I`ll have to call you on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, I'm betting that it will do that until you can find a way to pour it all at once. I'm betting that when you pour one side with the rod, then flip it, the second pour is curing unevenly from the heat of the first pour.............and unless that rod is 100% centered in the armature mould, it will keep making the resin pull off to one side............and thus the warpage. If at all possible, pour the entire armature top to bottom in one go. The risk of bubbles is not so important on this part anyway. :) Just a theory my friend.......

Dave

Steve, all my emails are getting bounced back. I will be home on leave and will be out of touch for a couple of days. I will try and call you when I hit stateside.

EUREKA! Ive increased the diameter of the internal rod to 1/4" and it worked.. well till it started to cool then it warped.

367247427.jpg

367247445.jpg

367247445.jpg

OK.. heres what Im going to do... ive ordered a tube of ABS with an internal diameter of 1/4" this will not expand and contract like the metal does... I will cast the ABS tube inside the armature then once cured straight I will epoxy a 1/4 steel rod inside for added strength. Im thinking I will do this this time only and the next run will be metal armeture only.... once this is fixed I'll be shipping past due orders again with the new hulls and detail sets....

I'll post who getting what, when here....

Steve

GOT IT!!!! cooled without warpage! I added a 5/16 piece of steel tube and it did not bend!

367250629.jpg

Thursday I'll pour these up and shipping those kits out on Friday!!

going back to the delivery list and will do an update with the newtime line and will post it here!

man im excited!

Steve

Thanks guys! Its been real frustrating trying to figure out the resin insert armeture... some folks dont want the $100 metal one so i want to make everyone as happy as I can. Now that I can start getting owed kits out I will adjust the release of the finished kit offering in the junk yard!

THanks for everyones help to get this puppy back on track..

Steve

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back