Studio Scale TIE Fighter

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by swpropmaker, Dec 11, 2001.

1. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Studio Scale TIE Fighter 38 x 43 x 36 cm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EMAIL ME FOR DETAILS

sneisen@comcast.netsneisen@comcast.net

2. Darth Kukiman

Darth Kukiman New Member

Hi guys, This is Steve Neisen's messenger [​IMG]

Steve said:

Please post a reply for me on the board as for some reason I
    cannot. post the below for me:

Hi all!! Sorry for the delay or slow email return Uncle
    Sam has had me real busy with OEF (operation Enduring
    Freedoom) and all. Please have folks email me @
    sneisen641@attbi.com for the directions I currently have
    will be documenting wing construction this weekend then
    adding text early next week. I am again sorry if I have
    not answered the board but have not had time to do so.
    Please shoot me a email and I will do my best to meet
    your needs. Frank.. sorry bro.. pulled all full wing
    essemblys and got tied (no pun intended) up. Saturday
    is the wing making marathon!! Hope all are well Email
    if you have question desires or just want to plainly
    shoo the Shheeeaaat.. Talk soon

Steve

3. Ragacin

Ragacin New Member

Well, imagine my shock! Yesterday i was at a hospital to visit (all is OK btw) and I was amazed to find....
    That louver detail stuff that is used on the TIE solar panels? EVERY window on the first floor of the hospital had them on it.

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Got pics?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. wakeboardjedi

wakeboardjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Steal them all!!!!!

6. Ragacin

Ragacin New Member

Well the silence got broken. Steve emailed me stating he was getting 5 kits together for shipping this week. I got this email like last thursday.

7. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Seeing how my skills are no where good enough to compete with most of you guys at least I can do is point at cool pics of things other people can make [​IMG] I have a tough enough time putting together a "modified" kit and painting it repectably ;-) I'm getting better though... Someday (hopefully)

Jedi Dade

8. Ragacin

Ragacin New Member

Hi people,
    Got an email from Steve today and he is in Kosovo! Will not be back until September. [​IMG]

9. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just a bump for Steve: Anyone seen him? Hopefully he's not on the way to the Middle East!

Anyhow, I was wondering if anybody got the second part of the instructions -- solar panels. If they did, please post 'em!

Thanks,
    -Jeeves

10. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah I live near the place where they make coolshade. I've had more than one person ask me if they were still around and I keep forgetting to go by there with a wing and get anestimate.

Sorry guys.

Perhaps I just need some one to keep buggin me until I go. Working full time and going to school full time I forget a lot.

I've identifyed several parts, and still need to find several of the wing details. If there are people truly willing to help in the search I could be persuaded to tell what I know.

11. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

New Wing instructions are ready!!! Email me and I'll send them to ya!!

Ragacin email sent reference the solar screen..

For those that want to know.. Its called "COOLSHADE" the company is called RD Sunshine. Mike is who you need to talk with $100-150 gets enough screen for one complete TIE. Remember before you order the screen used on the tie is cut for different angles. Not straight up and down so measure accrdingly.

Heres the info:

RD Sunshine Company, 611 Magic Mile Road # 201 Arlignton, TX 76011 tel: 817-459-3337 fax: 817-459-3008

Hope that helps. I also have instructions for completing the HERO version with real screen!

I'm back for the time being dont know when I may have to leave again. Hope all is well with every one.

I'll post pics of the finished kit again.. so folks can see what it builds into!

Steve

sneisen641@attbi.com

[​IMG]

12. Jeeves

Hi Steve, welcome back! Thanks for posting the update.

Anyone here want to see if we can't get a group buy on the screen material? $100-$150 is OK with me, but if we can get the price down, that would be GREAT! (Hint, Hint, Boba Flint!)

Jeeves.

13. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Heres a built up TIE KIT.. ok so Ive been playing with photoshop..

Steve

[​IMG]

14. Darth Kukiman

Darth Kukiman New Member

steve,

where hv u been? glad to see u around, emailed & pmed u.. can u get back to me? thanx..

kk

15. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

All,

Gonna chime in with my few cents worth on rhe KOOLSHADE screen. Ive constructed two of the HERO Ties and 4' x 6' is almost enough to do two complete TIES! As a minimum bare any mistakes in cutting you can make ONE HERO TIE FIGHTER using 1.8' x 4.6' of KoolShade Material see pics (the screen is smaller than the size given). I have the patterns for the hero wings. Remember to add 1/8" to 1/4" to the pattern as it is hidden by the wing struts and Plastruct H beam.

You will need 8 of the top piece and 16 of the other. 2'x 6' is a safe if you make alot of mistakes but if you want the amount with no left over 1.8' x 4.6' is enough. It easily cuts with scissors so as long as you make the pattern and work one piece at a time you'll be fine. Get with Mark to see what that size would cost. May safe $30 to $50 bones. Thats enough to buy a much needed parts kit or take your lady out to dinner for putting up with this maddness!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Hi all,

Whelp I'm back from the war! Still have all 10 digits so building should be no problem!

Email if you have any questions!

Steve
    sneisen@comcast.net

Steve

17. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Hey all,

The Definitive TIE Kit update. Some of the last parts are not willing to give them selfs up but I'm not goning to quit! Ive got the best in the buisness searchin so hang in there!!!

I have taken all the suggestions from fellow board members to improve upon the Kit.

From looking at the masters now.. they are Lightspeed ahead of the old kit version.

More to report soon!

Steve

18. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Why doncha post pics of the unidentified pieces? Ya might get some IDs that way.

19. swfan

swfan Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the cool shade. It seems pretty expensive for the material and it seems from reading the forum that quite a few people have been left hanging after ordering it. Is the supplier reliable?
    Isel

20. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

I just scrutinized the pics in the chronicles book show the ties under going what looks like prepping for pyro techniques there are rings of a putty like substance on the outer wing panels is this correct or am I an idiot

ca

21. swfan

swfan Well-Known Member

Which picture are you referring too? I looked through Chronicles and it seems to me that it was just tape over the wing struts for spraying the interior. Though I might be looking at the wrong picture.

22. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

BoatBuilder,

You are correct with your observation. You can see the Pyro being added to the wings(putty). The wings are made of a light plastic and pre scored to allow them to break apart. I also saw a behind the magic thingy that showed the special plastik explosive especially designed for the film industry. Can work it like play dough.

Steve

23. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Hey Guys here are some shots of the finshed protos for the NEW TIE kit. I am also including pics of some of the parts required for my next release.... The Hull is currently in a matrix mold now and need to run the RTV when all the other mold boxes are complete. Hope to be able to make a few of these if you interested. Will post pics of the castings when thay are ready...

24. boatbuilder1

hey guys I am almost done with my xwing
    and looking a the tie
    for my next project man this thing is massive
    can anyone give me and idea of how they tackled the hull it is so big and round
    are you guys carveing from foam and glassing or something simpler

ca

25. boatbuilder1

can someone comfirm or deny the dimensions given in the lucasfilm archives book on the tie fighter
    48cm high
    38 cm wide from wing to wing
    36cm wide across the wing
    I think these are a bit to much
    I started working in standar dims and find that the hull is roughly 7 inchs in diam the switched to metric for the wings and found that they are roughly 41 cm tall
    can someone confirm or deny these and I was thinking of using acrylic domes for the hull and cutting the top front and back off for the various item the hull feature hatch, viewport, and ion engines also is it me or are there actually three layers to each wing
    the outer panel with koolshade and a inner panel painted black then the inner panel with koolshade
    someone give a shout or something here
    ca

26. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Hey guys, had to take a break from the ATAT talk and show off the first castings of the New Studio scale TIE FIGHTER. The crisp detail is fantastic. Just see for yourself. Please compare to studio reference pics...I think you will like

email for pictures.

Hope you liked... finishing the details and mold of the Wings this week.

Steve

27. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

lookin' good!

28. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Thanks guys... Im really proud of this one.. with the homework done properly.. proper mold making and pressure casting makes this one 1000 times better than my last one.

The seem line on the hull seen in the pics is untouched!! Hardly any flash! My thanks goes out to our Buddy up North and I dont mean Santa Claus for the help learning Matrix molding! Thanks Ronny!

Tonight Ive preped the surface of the WINGs to recieve the kit detail. So progress shots in a few days. I wanna get it right so thanks for the patients.

Check back later for updates!

Steve

29. Naked Brain

Naked Brain New Member

Steve,

Hope you give me a call when it's ready... I remember being promised cast #2... (or somewhere around there) as part of our trade agreement ... [​IMG]

That looks AWSOME!!! [​IMG]

Tim

30. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Simply stunning Steve![​IMG] You're attention to details are fantastic!

This just got to be the best one ever made, keep it up![​IMG]

Steve.

31. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Thanks Steve.. Shout out goes out to all the folks that have helped provide info or parts to make this the most acurate TIE ever! Special thanks to the KitBashing Master "Basher" your knowledge on these things is absolutly mind blowing!

Plugging away adding detail to the TIE hub.. comming togther faster now but still a slow careful pace.. want to get it right!

Steve

32. kitbasher

kitbasher Well-Known Member

NICE Work Steve! Why, I might not even have to scratch a TIE someday, your's looks so good!

Can't wait to see it in person...

'Basher

33. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Pics of the HUB added kitparts a few more to go. Then do it all again 3 more times! Should mold the wings on Sunday-Monday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. Naked Brain

Naked Brain New Member

I just talked with Steve a couple of days ago, and he's building a custom pressure caster so he can ensure the best possible castings. The wings on the TIE are so huge, he had to come up with his own solution.

I'm sure he'll post more as soon as he can.

Tim

35. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Hey All,

Tim's right.. Im in the process of having a very large pressure vessle constructed. I'll be able to provide pressure castings up to 19" wide and 36" tall using degassed molds. I had to come up with $2000 for the certified welders/fabricators to build and certify its construction. Will the investment pay off. ?? at least the casting will be clean!

As far as the TIE molds go.. The wing needs to be flipped and the last side RTV poured then the molding process will be complete. Took 80 oz of RTV on the first side pour... the same for the next.

I should have the pressure chamber up and running in two weeks or so then the wings can be cast under pressure to ensure all the detail is super crisp and no voids are present.

I scored a 5 gallon Pressure Pot on Ebay for $150 will do all medium sized molds to include the TIE Hull. All pieces will be cast in this way.

Steve

36. Beeb89

Beeb89 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wohoo!! Thanks for the update, Steve! [​IMG]

-B89! [​IMG]

37. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

UPDATE!! GOODNEWS.. BADNEWS

Good News first.. the TIE MOLDS ARE DONE!!! I will be picking up my 4ft pressure chamber on Thursday castings by the weekend! The molds look great!! Detail is crisp..man Im stoked about this one!!

Bad news... totally destroyed the Wing master.. broke in half and three other places.. can use as wing rut masters though.. The cast screen material version... hummmm will use the first two good castings to replace the broken one...

So though really bad news the good news is parts can be of value and used.

Those that have committed will be first searved! those that havent email me..

Im so happy! Ohh the pressure chamber to deliver bubble free castings cost $3000 and its 4 ft tall 20" Diameter! It weighs near 500 lbs! Only the best for you guys!

I will be also offering my services as mold maker and pressure caster for projects you may have email me if you have something in mind.

sneisen641@comcast.net

38. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any updates?

JV

39. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Update???... did someone say update. Here is the test pull of the center hub... white resin raw... grey with a coat of paint. Please take a look at the crispness of the detail parts on this hub. No mud here anywhere. Im using a 80 gallon pressure pot to cast these solid.

I still have to play with the slow set resin its comming out real brittle.. broke the rest of the wing taking it from the mold... think I havent got the 1:1 by weight down yet.. they promised me it has the same qualities of easy Flo 60 the resin fawst cure i normally use.. ok enjoy the pics..

email or pm if you have any questions..

Steve

40. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

Looks like Lockheed was a Sienar Fleet Systems sub! Maybe they got the solar collector contract.

Looking good!

41. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

I know guys the wait is terrible! I think it will be well worth it though!

Ive been in consult with the folks at POLYTEK and have determined I demolded to early. Apparently with the cold spell that came in this weekend caused the resin to not cure..go into a dormaint state. Once heated the curing finished and now Im in buisness!!

This summer the shop stays at about 80-90 degrees so it wont be a problem. Got another test run going the huge pot pressured up to 90 psi. Some casters believe 30 to 40 psi is enough but Ive found at altitude (Denver) 80 to 90 psi does the trick.

Heres a shot of the unpainted wing hub...
    [​IMG]

Check out the pic of the HUGE pressure pot! 4.5 ft tall and 20" wide! Had it custom made! Binks wanted $3500 for a smaller version... had this one done near $1600 bones it is certified by a prof pressure vessel maker so no worries of it exploding! Ok maybe a little worry but Ive been told it will hold 250 PSI easy.
    [​IMG]

So if you have any Mold making or casting needs dont hesitate in asking! I have 1 each 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon and the huge 80 gallon pressure pots to make bubble free castings of all sizes! I also have a vaccume chamber and pump that can degass RTV to 28" of mercury to make sure a bubble free and strong mold end product.

Hope to have wing pics for you in the morning! Wish me luck!

Steve

42. RONMINIATURES

RONMINIATURES New Member

Hi Steve

I just saw that you are thanking me but you should also thank my friend Patrice Jacques (he is my right arm in all of the big movies ). He is the one that perfected the technique of the matrix mold .Keep on the good work .....Talk to you soon .

Ron

43. boatbuilder1

awesome steve really inspiring wow is all I can say

you blow me away in this field
    chuck

44. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Thanks Guys! your all to kind.

Were in buisness!!! I got the first Wing pull today and man it kicks serious bootay'

Not one bubble and the detail is super super crisp! Looks like tempeture is the key... It cant be cold and use a slow set resin. Goes into hibernation until a little heat is introduced.

Here are some pics straight from the mold untrimmed..hardley any flashing..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to know more about the project please shoot me a email! sneisen641@comcast.net

45. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG] Holy crap that looks Great, I am totally stoked about getting this.

46. kitbasher

kitbasher Well-Known Member

NICE WORK Steve! That looks freakin' sweet! Very professional casting, super crisp.

'Basher

47. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to report that I will be away till the 6th of June on Military duty out of State. I will start back on the TIE when I return!

Take care

Steve

48. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Steve said he'll be back on July 1st. Keep trying!

49. Jeeves

Is Steve away from home again? He hasn't replied to PMs in a while. Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    -Raj

50. cking

cking Sr Member

Good question Jeeves. I've not had a reply from Steve since my post above.
    It's a real shame that he does such great work but is so difficult to get a hold of. [​IMG]

Chris.