Studio scale Probe droid, ID and build!

Seeing as its in the air, here is a tip for the guys about to take on the resin droids knuckle joints.
This was my first set built, using resin as a solid medium to carry the bolt, so, it should work for all.
I used M3 metric screws, but US 4/40 will also be great, the thread is nice and coarse, so holds the tapped bolt well.

First off, drill your "discs" dead centre, if your off, the joint will work, but may foul here and there, and, just look dead horrible, this is VERY
important.

Drilling your discs, or, how you drill them is a matter of taste. I chose to mark and drill them separately, rather than run a drill through two at a time, this seemed messy, and in consistent, faster yes, but i dont do bodge work.

Once your two discs are drilled, (these discs are to be passed through by the bolt) and are a super snug fit to the bolt, you can drill the third disc, bringing the size down, to allow it to be tapped, by the said bolt.

You now, should have three discs, with a bolt running through dead centre, to allow a slight pinch, dont lock it up hard, use very light pressure, you will only really have to adjust these once, from there, you should be able to re pose these legs over and over, without needing to mess around with the pinch bolt.

You can recess the cap head bolt very easily, to allow the Saturn V joint caps to bond over.
NiceNProbedroidbuild001-22.jpg

Two drilled discs, ready for the third disc, to make the pinch joint.
NiceNProbedroidbuild003-15.jpg

A completed joint, bare bones, but, i think pretty easy to follow and a transferable tech to the new GK you guys will be building soon.
NiceNProbedroidbuild004-15.jpg

Just remember, take your time, triple check your markings before drilling, and USE A DRILL PRESS, i use a mini Proxxon, which is awesome for small work like this, and not OTT in price too.

bests..........lee

Well you could if you can find them in M3 or 4/40 threads, but you dont need them, remember guys, locking a 4/40 bolt into casting plastic is a solid fit, especially, when these things are NON load bearing, you want non of these arms TIGHT....just a slight pinch, so you can just adjust the position, with a fingertip. Youll never really touch the bolt again once set.

lee

Hey guys, it seems I cant find those parts (green and red but would likely find the green part first :)) :

pdunknown.jpg

Thanks for your help !

(can't see your pic great since i'm on my phone), but the green is a common kit, molded in tan (i can picture it in my hand since I used it on my base for my chicken). Think tan molded plastic. I want to say quad/25 pdr, but i'm not positive? felt this kit also contributed to the at-st chicken. sorry for the half-clues.

YEAH!!..
there's like 3? M3's
all almost exactly alike, but when a piece is used from each kit, it was the single piece that's different from the other M3...LOL.
glad you found it.

YEAH!!..
there's like 3? M3's
all almost exactly alike, but when a piece is used from each kit, it was the single piece that's different from the other M3...LOL.
glad you found it.

Yeah, that's always like that ! :D One more kit to put on the shelf lol I need more space :cry

What about those bits ?

pdunknown2.jpg

I found similar looking wheels in the Duster I believe, could be a match if sanded down, but I'm not. Were these parts positively ID'ed ?

Julien im hazy on this one as i didnt use it, mine were cast well on the kit so i didnt replace.
Just in case though, something tells me it could be Matilda, but again, dont hold me to that buddy, but its worth a look as its the one kit that springs to mind ?

lee

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back