Studio scale Probe droid, ID and build!

Lee, I'm back on the phone now.

The only thing that goes against this theory is that the top coat has peeled away in places and left the undercoat Free to tarnish, it looks very much like paint on paint. I'll dig some pics out. Id it was a wash coat I doubt it could peel/flake away in the same manner. All the wash coat damage I've seen on the B wing Red 3 etc has a very different way of acting and usually its the layer beneath that peels away. I am with you though.

True Guy, but the washes on the ATAT joints, B wing guns/engine section, Y wings, has been applied with a brush, as a wash say?
This wash coat on the PD has been applied with an airbrush IMO, its even the same orange tone to my eye buddy.

Call you in five bud lol.

lee

HTF is this ugly

Denied.jpg

Thanks Lee, I think the enamel DUST wash has dulled the brown down a bit, its still very brown at close range flash though. Hopefully you'll see it on Sunday, fingers crossed.

I really can't chime in on the accuracy of the paint job, but the paint jobs you guys did do "feel right" and looking amazing.

Base is cool too! Is that painted glass with laser etching and backlight?

Marvin

I really can't chime in on the accuracy of the paint job, but the paint jobs you guys did do "feel right" and looking amazing.

Base is cool too! Is that painted glass with laser etching and backlight?

Marvin

Thanks Marvin, its Acrylic and plywood and is very very nice :love

Sounds more technical than it is mate, I've only ever done this twice and the first time was on my first PD and I liked the results.

Its basically enamel thinners with a small amount of light grey mixed with a light tan/yellow, very thin like the brown/ German grey coat. I then just brush (not air) it all over the head and wipe away the excess, it dries in runs if your not careful and I buff it whilst its drying. Then wipe around in places with just thinners on kitchen roll. With the same mix I trickle it around the edges and kit parts similar to an oil wash. I prefer the look of enamel over oil for this as it dries more like dust and looks less like paint. Its not meant to resemble paint but years of dust thats been brushed off and recollected etc etc etc. I'm sure there is a better way of doing it but as I do still make this all up as I go along I just go with it. I just used basic small pots of Humbrol enamel, the cheap stuff.

Ah im with ya now bud, well was thinking of a similar tech involving MIG pigment ash white, mixed to dirty alcohol as a wash.
Going to try it, as i wont use enamel thinners at this point, too caustic and messy/risky.
Ill see how it goes.

Lee

Lee, regarding the rust/orange. Noooooo, it can't be! It would be way to simple! Just think about all the hassle we have been thru trying to match, blend and shade this model! You're probably right though.:( I still think there might be a bit more to it then just dark grey and a rust overlay. If the chronicles pics shows the state it was before the overlay rust it still has some washes an light weathering added.

Guy, I think I know which paint chipping you're refering too. Lee could still be right. That could be primer or bare plastic peeking thru.

Cheers,
Steve

I think there was way more to it too Steve. I do have to backtrack a little over the past few days of comparing notes on this one.

There is a LOT of damage done to this model as it stands today, and i do mean a LOT.

Comparing it to the AFB prop in Chronicles, id have to say now 100% that prop IS grey, with ZERO brown.

At some point it WAS re weathered and scuffed up, some maybe by accident im afraid, id say it was dropped to at some point due to the big crack in the upper head dome there are also many patches that have blatantly been rubbed down with sandpaper, not at all like the brand new filmed prop.

Really being honest now, id say it was reworked for either more shooting, or was such a mess to display on tour, it HAD to be trussed up some.

Which now leads me to my model, itll have brown in the mix as it stands, but none of the crud or nasty scuff marks applied to todays prop, just cant do it lol.

Ill be adding the subtle smudges from here, applying snow, and calling it a day :lol, its not meant to be so banged up, its just not right.

lee

What is better than a PD............?

2 PD's :cool

PDs.jpg

Thanks again to the amazing support and time Lee gives to me with this wacky hobby of ours. What a site, both PD's together and both looking extremely close. Could we stop looking at them???? Answers on a post card please.

Great pic Guy, was a good day, great to see these together for sure, the only two stop mo PD's in the same room, bet it doesnt happen very often eh lol?

Just think the next one of these will pop up in Australia once im done with this second set of legs, talk about spread out!

lee

You're nuts! You never ever let the president take the same flight as the vice president! Just think of all the things that could have happend! Swarms of locus, fire, crashing planes are just some things that comes to mind!

Cheers,
Steve

It's interesting to see how closely your paint jobs match considering you worked a bit independently. At least it looks that way in the pics.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back